Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-29-2019, 09:21 PM   #16
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
I think I was most proud of the two win bets I had that paid over 99/1 though. One at Saratoga and one at the Big A. Mostly because they weren't just blind longshot bets but horses I picked for a reason. Glad I didn't let anyone talk me off them.
Those kinda of 99/1 wins are VERY FUN. And yes, some people will pick a horses to win,, see the odds drifting up and nobody else on them, and figure they miscalculated and get off the horse.

I had fun winning with Larry Jones horse in the Southwest this year, and of course Country House in the disqual Derby outcome. 65-1 or so is always a joy but 99/1 is killer!.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2019, 10:07 PM   #17
statepierback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
The name of the horse was Deserina…..

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbP...AY=D&STYLE=EQB
My memory forgot some of the details. I went a/b in the first Pick 3. Rally not riot.And it was Victor not Kent. Kent's pick three was worth the large 5.
Deserina raced up north after that and won at least one other race.

Thanks for pulling up the chart

Last edited by statepierback; 08-29-2019 at 10:11 PM.
statepierback is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2019, 02:00 AM   #18
capitalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I won $96,000 on a twin trifecta in 1986. I was 25 years old at the time...and I immediately quit my job to become a professional gambler. I was begging my boss for my job back four months later.
I was 25 in 1979 & also tried to be a professional gambler at that age. I lost my job in real estate appraisal in Dec 1978 and had to move back to my parents house about 7 miles from Belmont. In February 1979 I went to an employment agency & spoke with this guy who after a bit couldn't find me a job at that time. I didn't find a job & eventually got hot at NYRA from May until early July. I was averaging about $800/week (which was good $ in 1979) & thought I could make a living betting horses. I told my father of my plans & how well I was doing and he just said "When you lose it all, are you going to get a real job?" One day in the middle of my streak I got a call from an appraisal firm that was hiring & they wanted to know if I was interested in a job interview. I told them no, I had found other employment & wasn't looking. My father was home at the time and asked who called me & I told him what I said. Obviously he was not happy with my choice. In July I crashed & burned at Belmont and had to start looking for a job again. I went back to the employment agency to see if the guy I talked to in February had anything for me. When I told him why I hadn't contacted him since the winter he thought I was nuts for trying to be a professional horseplayer and told me to see a psychiatrist.

Eventually I moved out of my parents house in 1980, got back into appraising & spent the next 30 years working as an appraiser, still betting the horses. One time in the early 1980s I was in the field collecting data and I got sick. I called the office to tell them I had to take the afternoon off. The person who took my call told someone in the office that I sounded a little hoarse, & they replied "He went to bet a little horse." I retired in August 2010 and the 1st day of my retirement I went to Saratoga.
capitalman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2019, 02:39 AM   #19
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Wasn't my biggest score but one I certainly remember.

This is like 18 or 19 years ago, late night Lone Star racing. Thursday night to boot.

We are live in a late P4 and P5, and really start diving into the race as to who can beat us and maybe hedge for an EX or stupid late double like us degenerates do.

I hone in on this 99/1 (at least on the board). So I start my sell: "Sure, it is a Maiden Claimer and there are better horses than this , and while he is actually moving up in class, he has never lost ground from any start while finishing 8th, 7th, and 8th respectively (all dead ass last). He is actually the only horse in the race gaining ground and has 2 gate works since his last.".

I convince the rest of the neanderthals that we put $20 across on this no-shot. He fires out of the gate, sits off the lead and then pulls away at an actual 112/1 to win by 2 or 3 lengths.

That is the draw that keeps you coming back. When you can find something nobody else supposedly can, it will keep you coming back forever.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2019, 03:31 AM   #20
JustRalph
Just another Facist

War Emblem and Funny Cide were berry berry good to me.......

CJ, Where you at??????

I know, this thread comes back every couple of years..........
Old 08-30-2019, 09:32 AM   #21
sammy the sage

Interesting and smart ...(although maybe by accident...just a sign of the times)....that all these scores are more than 7 years old....

as are mine...$25k on multiple p/4's a couple of times....$16k on a dime super...wow on that one...and $40k...on p/6 dog racing when that was a thing many years ago...
Old 08-30-2019, 09:47 AM   #22
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Was playing the trotters at Maywood Park and spotted a live 16/1 shot from post 5 that I really liked. So I played a $1 tri and super key 5 with the 1,3,7. Triple paid over a grand, the super paid $7856.20 and had it for half. Started the day with $25, ended it with $4999.85.

For some reason I can pick lots of live bombs at the trotters that come in, but cannot do the same at the flats. Don’t know why.

And yes, Sammy the Sage, my score was over seven years ago. I think one reason for that was because incremental betting wasn’t available back then, so you had to play it for the minimum $1 or $2.

Last edited by Zman179; 08-30-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2019, 10:20 AM   #23
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

My biggest score is a dime super for over $2300 at Hollywood, yes, over seven years ago. I was a mutual clerk at the time, and had just been tipped a $10 for someone else's large score. The next race up was a 2-turn event, maidens probably, where the two big faves were starting from outer posts. I put them both on top, but filled in the rest with the longshots in the inner half of the posts. It hit...no handicapping involved, just looking at a simulcast screen with some free money to throw at it.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2019, 10:46 AM   #24
rubicon55

Best win wager was this year at WO (7/26) had $30 on the nose of a 69-1 shot paid $2128. Best exotic was a trifecta at Longacres in the 80's that was about $2600. Need more of those, LOL.
rubicon55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2019, 11:51 AM   #25
spiketoo

Variation on a theme - how about a fairly nice day coupled with the one that got away?!? And yes, it was more than 7 years ago, at the now defunct Hollywood Park and yes again, I do remember it like it was yesterday...

Think it was early June and I'm coming off a nice P6 hit a few weeks prior. I can (almost) do no wrong. Huge C/O coming in projected to go over 1M. Not much pub back then tho maybe they did take an ad out in the LA fishwrap or something. I put together a nice ticket and I'm just cruising along hitting all which included some prices. End up hitting 3 consols at like 6K each. BUT - one retired geezer (some of us now) hits the only ticket for 619K at the Orange Show OTB for $2 playing his grandkids b'days! And here I was capping into the wee hours.Kept that chart for the longest time thinking...

Thx for the memories all.
spiketoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2019, 12:39 PM   #26
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy the sage View Post
Interesting and smart ...(although maybe by accident...just a sign of the times)....that all these scores are more than 7 years old....

as are mine...$25k on multiple p/4's a couple of times....$16k on a dime super...wow on that one...and $40k...on p/6 dog racing when that was a thing many years ago...
Nice catch.....very interesting note
Old 08-30-2019, 12:46 PM   #27
SharpCat

Best score for me was at an otb for just under 17k. I hit an exacta that paid $14. I know I know $14 is tiny but when you have it 1200 times it feels pretty good I remember the SAM machine would only allow $200 so I punched out 12 tickets.
SharpCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2019, 01:26 PM   #28
JohnGalt1

Congratulations all.

I'd rather read about winners.

My largest win was a Hollywood Park super that paid $17,000. Minimum was a dollar and the horses were 6-1, 6-1, 8-1, and 8-1.

When supers were dollar minimum you got paid if you hit it.

Last year I made $12,000 for the five day Kentucky Downs meet.
Biggest win was a $5600 pick 4, so most of the profit came from other bets.
JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2019, 06:45 PM   #29
statepierback

[QUOTE=capitalman;2512041]10/31/2010: During the Saratoga meet on 8/21 I bet a first time starter who got shuffled back on a speed favoring turf course and ended up finishing 5th, a little over 5 lengths back, but after the race galloped out well and went by the winner. Due to some rain that fall, he didn't get into another race until Halloween, closing day at Belmont. In between, many of the horses who ran in the 8/21 race came back & won or ran well-a key race. On 10/31 the trainer was switching to his go-to rider at the time and they had great stats together on 2nd time starters. I can still say to this day, I've never been as confident in a horse winning, & I was waiting over 2 months for him to run back. I went all in on him, putting him in 3 P3s, a P4 & singling him in the P6 as well as win, exactas & trifectas. He won by a neck, coming from off the pace to run down another horse (my 2nd choice which gave me the exacta and trifecta too). I ended up hitting all 3 P3s he was in & the P4, then I hit a small P6. By the end of the day I won more than I ever won before or after. The next day I called up OTB and asked them how to cash all the bets. I had some in tickets & some in my account. I ended up going to their offices & getting 2 checks, one from the account & the other for the tickets I had punched. I put the money in the bank & later that year bought a new car with the winnings. Basically I won a new car that day.[/QUOTE]

I was working part time in a department store selling carpet. Freshman in college. 18 years old. On a Thursday I was informed my uncle had a 1965 Ford Galaxy {289 engine } for sale. He was offered 500 but was willing to sell it to me for $300 if I could come up with the money by Sunday. It was mid summer 1973.
Friday morning I rushed to the department store, cashed my check worth around 85 bucks and drove my parents Mercury Comet down Imperial Blvd to Hollywood Park. Post time was two o'clock and I had four races to either win or lose as I was due back at work later that evening.
The opener I could only see one play. The horses name was "Away Satan" ridden by Laffit and Trained by Bobby Frankel for his main owner at that time.
I bet 60 to win on this 4/5 shot and stood by the finish line holding my breath.
It was a grinding and grueling three horse battle the length of the stretch. The favorite pulled clear in the final yards to win by a neck.
The same connections had the favorite in the next race. I thought the second choice was just as good on paper. Princess Something? from the one post and was driving by Ken Skinner. Off at 5/2 this fiily found a hole in early stretch and won by a length over the 3/5 favorite. I'd bet 100 on her nose and cashed enough to pay for my first car. I drove that car over 150000 miles till the engine went.
Not a new car but I won my first car at the track!
Old 08-30-2019, 07:28 PM   #30
wisconsin

I have never had any sort of life changing score. Multiple times I have cashed larger (in my eyes) pick 4 and 5's and trifectas, but nothing over $3000. Ever. And I play enough. I also stick my neck out to be in the position to do it, but shorter horses seem to always get in the way...