Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 307 votes, 4.96 average.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:58 AM   #20086
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap
R.I.P. .
Thanks for resurrecting this thread on the fourth day. I was [almost] really worried for the last few days.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:54 AM   #20087
boxcar

The RCC is run like any country in the world. The pope says that leaders should not be entrenched for life. Does that include run-of-the mill clergy, too? I thought everyone in Christ's church that is in a leadership position was divinely called? I guess not according to the pope. Either that or the divinely called can be uncalled by men. Where are time limits placed on any of God's prophets, apostles, pastors or deacons in scripture?

http://news.yahoo.com/catholic-churc...210253652.html
Old 07-04-2015, 11:46 AM   #20088
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar
The RCC is run like any country in the world. The pope says that leaders should not be entrenched for life. Does that include run-of-the mill clergy, too? I thought everyone in Christ's church that is in a leadership position was divinely called? I guess not according to the pope. Either that or the divinely called can be uncalled by men. Where are time limits placed on any of God's prophets, apostles, pastors or deacons in scripture?

http://news.yahoo.com/catholic-churc...210253652.html
So...The Pontiff would readily step down if he felt that he could no longer do his job of "service"...but he doesn't believe in a voluntary retirement, set at something like "the age of 80". One wonders at what age he would consider himself "unable to serve...and ready to step down".
Old 07-04-2015, 12:35 PM   #20089
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
So...The Pontiff would readily step down if he felt that he could no longer do his job of "service"...but he doesn't believe in a voluntary retirement, set at something like "the age of 80". One wonders at what age he would consider himself "unable to serve...and ready to step down".
I think health and death are the only reasons to nullify a divine call.

A former pastor of mine has serious health issues and so stepped down from pastoring a church several years ago. However, he certainly has the gift of teaching and to this day, even with his health issues, he continues to use that gift from God to teach and disciple young men who think their call is to go into full time ministry.

Scripture says that the gifts and calling of God are irrevocable, so who the heck is the pope or anyone else to decide on an arbitrary "date of retirement".
Old 07-04-2015, 12:49 PM   #20090
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar
Scripture says that the gifts and calling of God are irrevocable, so who the heck is the pope or anyone else to decide on an arbitrary "date of retirement".
Harry Lauder said the same:

[YT="Keep Right on to the End of the Road"]go6PFNhLzr8#t=19[/YT]
Old 07-04-2015, 01:27 PM   #20091
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
Harry Lauder said the same:
Scripture also teaches Christians to run the race set before them, and to not run in a way that would disqualify them from their prize.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:01 PM   #20092
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Speaking of leaders. The leaders of the Episcopal Church have deemed sex aex marriages are acceptable and will be performed in their churches. http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/a...-gay-marriage/

Of course this ruling will further rupture the split between them and the Anglican Church. Also, newsworthy three large non-denominational Christian Churches, EastLakeCommunity Church in Seattle, Washington, GracePointe Church in Nashville, Tennessee, and City Church in San Francisco, California — have announced that they no longer believe all same-sex relationships are sinful.

Add to that mix Presbyterian Church (not Presbyterian Church in America) approving church sanctioned same sex weddings. http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/19/us/pre...-sex-marriage/ and Lutherans leaving it up to the separate denominations, is much more worrisome than discussing retirement (which already exists).

It seems my Protestant brother are still protesting only not about sola Scriptura, but no Scriptura this time. Sigh, oh well they led the charge to embrace childless marriages, and easy divorce which directly led to its logical conclusion in the Court's decesion.

Can anyone say apostasy?
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington

Last edited by Show Me the Wire; 07-04-2015 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:18 PM   #20093
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire
Can anyone say apostasy?
Congratulations. We're once again on the same page on an issue
Apostasy is no stranger on either side of the religious "aisle".
Old 07-04-2015, 07:00 PM   #20094
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire

Of course this ruling will further rupture the split between them and the Anglican Church. Also, newsworthy three large non-denominational Christian Churches, EastLakeCommunity Church in Seattle, Washington, GracePointe Church in Nashville, Tennessee, and City Church in San Francisco, California — have announced that they no longer believe all same-sex relationships are sinful.

Can anyone say apostasy?
Apostasy?

I'd say moral relativism.
No one is ever right and no one is ever wrong.
Values of moral relativists shift with the popular flavor of the time.
It's becoming an "anything goes" society.

Cole Porter predicted this in 1934.
(Porter wrote the lyrics to the song Sinatra sings below.)

[YT="Anything Goes"]N-qPHG4i3u8[/YT]

Last edited by Greyfox; 07-04-2015 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:05 PM   #20095
boxcar

Quote:
Apostasy?

[YT="Anything Goes"]N-qPHG4i3u8[/YT]
The vid was great. And I can't remember when the last time was that I heard that oldie.

But apostasy is the right word for what is going on in the church. An apostate church by definition is morally corrupt since such a church has abandoned its loyalty to Christ its King. Once a church rejects his rule, then just about anything goes morally.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:14 PM   #20096
nomad1102

Now people get their guidance from their thoughts, beliefs and feelings. They relate to their beliefs and feeling akin to extreme religious adherents. Like what they think and feel and believe is the ultimate cosmic truth without realizing thought, beliefs and feelings are a mechanical smorgasbord created by DNA, culture and environment.
Don’t offend them either. Because they believe you are responsible for their feelings and reactions.
A premise that is faulty to begin with.
Someone can walk into room of 10 people with a Firearm holstered on their side. There will be ten different reactions and feeling responses. Anywhere from running out the room and calling the police in panic and fear to someone being interested in that particular make, caliber and model.
It is lunacey
Old 07-05-2015, 05:38 AM   #20097
hcap

Quote:
Apostasy?

But you and boxcar miss the more important point. Porter was an American genius of a songwriter. That song was a clever and humorous comment on the previous moral hypocrisy and rigid sexual moires of the Victorian/Edwardian era, and poked fun at what came before Porter's roaring twenties. And by the way Porter was not as pure as you self righteous anti-moral relativists think.......
Quote:
Cole’s numerous male lovers included Nelson Barfeld (a dancer/choreographer who was a former U.S. Marine), Robert Bray (a married Californian) and Jack Cassidy (a character actor). Not to mention architect Ed Tauch, director John Wilson and longtime friend Ray Kelly, whose children still receive half of Porter's copyright royalties. After relocating to Hollywood, he was a regular guest at George Cukor's Sunday all-male pool parties, but soon the two became rivals. While renting a beautiful Hollywood home owned by renowned homosexual actor-decorator Billy Haines, Porter held competing all-male parties, and Cole’s became the more valued invitation. Porter was not discrete. A recent biography recounts that in his later years, Cole kept "breaking appliances so he could lure cute repairmen into his lair"
"Moral Relativism" is in the eye of the beholder.
Religious beholders suffer from premature opinion-ization as well as others but are quicker to cast the first stone and hold their noses in "moral outrage".

Last edited by hcap; 07-05-2015 at 05:43 AM.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:26 AM   #20098
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcarf
The vid was great. And I can't remember when the last time was that I heard that oldie.
So you have been lying about not being able to watch videos?
Old 07-05-2015, 08:48 AM   #20099
Greyfox

Quote:
"Moral Relativism" is in the eye of the beholder.
Religious beholders suffer from premature opinion-ization as well as others but are quicker to cast the first stone and hold their noses in "moral outrage".
Premature opinion-ization??

Reading what you are saying, holding a value of any kind is a premature opinion-ization.
I hold the value that wedding ceremonies between gays should be called "Civil Unions." Marriage should be reserved for a man and a wife.
But that's a "premature opinionization."
Now society forms the opinion that gay marriage is okay.
I shouldn't feel any moral indignation about that, because my opinion was premature.
Fifteen years from now it becomes okay for 3 people or 7 people to wed one another.
According to you, it is a "premature opinionization" to have any views on that.
In fact, according to you, I shouldn't have any opinions about the behavior of anyone as that is simply "premature opinionization."

At the moment I place a high value on love.
Ah, but that would be a "premature opinionization too."
Perhaps the day will come when society will tell us to value hate.
Why not?
Those of us who value love now have been wrong all these years.

hcap - your post is simply telling us to be mindless, not open minded.
Whether you know it or not, you are advocating "anything goes"
and I certainly am not.

By the way, I don't think that boxcar or I needed a mini-lecture on Cole Porter's intentions in writing that song regarding Victorian values and the roaring twenties. I think we understood what Porter was doing there.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:41 AM   #20100
boxcar

Quote:
So you have been lying about not being able to watch videos?
Well...there was a time several months back when I couldn't watch. But I found out the problem was that I had my NoScripts configured incorrectly, which I fixed. So yes I can now watch vids.