Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-23-2022, 11:40 AM   #16
boxcar

Cute. Headed right up the Alley. I might get to test out my solar-powered battery backup system sooner rather than later.
Old 09-23-2022, 12:00 PM   #17
tbwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe View Post
Lets keep our fingers crossed ..

Don't think the economy can handle more disasters
You're kidding right?

The rich, elite, and connected make BIG money on natural disasters...
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2022, 12:00 PM   #18
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
I might get to test out my solar-powered battery backup system sooner rather than later.
I laughed...
Old 09-23-2022, 01:04 PM   #19
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I laughed...
I recall when about 18 years or so ago, right after a big 'cane came into the 'hood, I bought my first portable backup generator. because we were without power for a few days afterward. Whatever the exact year was, it was the last year that FEMA subsidized generators. At any rate...we felt that we were well prepared to take on any storm (relatively speaking, of course) -- but none really came into our vicinity for years. I learned, though, that it wasn't good to keep a generator sitting idle indefinitely, so just prior to every hurricane season, I would fire it up just to keep everything working. Finally, after about 6 or 7 years, we fired it up once right after a hurricane. And that has been the only time that we had to use a generator because of a storm. Since that hurricane, we upgraded every single opening in the house to protect against wind storms.

So...maybe...just maybe this TD number 9 will turn out to be the really big test in more ways than one. We have no big storms in this area since doing the house upgrades.

Btw...just as an aside, the rich and filthy rich do live differently. Someone told me that Obama protected his little northern island paradise against power outages with a 20,000-gallon9 propane tank battery backup system. I never heard of such a large system. I guess they want to keep the a/c running, too, during outages.
Old 09-23-2022, 01:25 PM   #20
Inner Dirt

Quote:
I learned, though, that it wasn't good to keep a generator sitting idle indefinitely, so just prior to every hurricane season, I would fire it up just to keep everything working.

If it is a gasoline generator with a carburetor the ethanol in the gas is the enemy if you allow such an engine to sit for long periods of time, gasoline will also go bad after time also, but it usually takes years. Gasoline without ethanol is available here and there or you can use a fuel treatment. The ethanol will hold water which will corrode the common brass parts in a carburetor and block small passages.

Once they bumped up the ethanol in the gas all of a sudden I was rebuilding carbs on my small gas engine equipment frequently until I started using fuel treatment.

It doesn't effect fuel interjected engines because they run with much higher fuel pressure, even more than a carbureted car engine with a mechanical pump. Most generators are gravity fed or have a diaphragm pump, about as strong as an old man's urine flow.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2022, 02:29 PM   #21
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
If it is a gasoline generator with a carburetor the ethanol in the gas is the enemy if you allow such an engine to sit for long periods of time, gasoline will also go bad after time also, but it usually takes years. Gasoline without ethanol is available here and there or you can use a fuel treatment. The ethanol will hold water which will corrode the common brass parts in a carburetor and block small passages.

Once they bumped up the ethanol in the gas all of a sudden I was rebuilding carbs on my small gas engine equipment frequently until I started using fuel treatment.

It doesn't effect fuel interjected engines because they run with much higher fuel pressure, even more than a carbureted car engine with a mechanical pump. Most generators are gravity fed or have a diaphragm pump, about as strong as an old man's urine flow.
I run all my small gasoline-powered machines with e-free gas only -- lawnmowers, wheedwhackers, trimmers, blowers, everything! It's relatively easy to get down here since many boaters like to use e-free gas also.
Old 09-24-2022, 07:11 AM   #22
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
It's early...but this one isn't looking too good for Florida at the moment:

Things were looking fine, until you posted this thread.

Thanks PA. Headed right for me.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2022, 07:54 AM   #23
davew

Quote:

Btw...just as an aside, the rich and filthy rich do live differently. Someone told me that Obama protected his little northern island paradise against power outages with a 20,000-gallon9 propane tank battery backup system. I never heard of such a large system. I guess they want to keep the a/c running, too, during outages.
will it work when Greenland melts and it is 10 feet under water?
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2022, 09:02 AM   #24
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
will it work when Greenland melts and it is 10 feet under water?
BO most likely has a backup system plan B to backup plan A. Might have a submarine tied up at his dock.
Old 09-24-2022, 03:07 PM   #25
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
Things were looking fine, until you posted this thread.

Thanks PA. Headed right for me.
If only my witchcraft were effective when playing the lottery or the horses.
Old 09-25-2022, 10:33 AM   #26
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

PA, have you been messing with George Bush's hurricane machine again?
Old 09-26-2022, 08:31 AM   #27
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

What's exaberating the situation is that it's been one of the wettest summers in central Florida in a long time. For the last month, the county has been dumping water. In the middle of the day youll see sprinklers on everywhere. Yesterday they shut down five golf courses just to dump water on them(fortunately, there were still 45 courses available). The problem with too much water is not only flooding but sink holes pop up. Florida is a sand bar so it doesnt take much for a portion of the ground to collapse.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2022, 06:02 PM   #28
Marshall Bennett

Year to year ya just never know. Since 1900 no particular pattern can be found, regardless of storms by numbers. Meteorologist have to be careful now days in explaining what hurricanes are all about. Its easy without knowing it to take a stab at climate change fanatics using factual science.
Having lived though 3 major hurricanes (near direct hits), each time I would indulge myself into hurricane dynamics. I love science of nearly all kinds. I know the upper levels of the atmosphere where steering currents originate, are always unpredictable from one year to the next. Once the season begins they become more constant so that systems forming overhead can be forecasted more readily. Actually current forecast are very reliable with all the advances in technology. In the past 30 years they've been virtually spot-on. Looking beyond 4-6 weeks can be challenging as to the number of possible systems and not normally attempted by professionals,
One thing that is definitely a matter of fact, is that climate change is nowhere in the equation, Those hell-bent on that, as with any weather related discussions is just dumb right out of the gate.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2022, 08:12 PM   #29
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

The intent of this thread was to point out that not once in the mainstream media do you hear someone say we haven't had a hurricane yet (up until Puerto Rico) in the Atlantic, despite it being 3+ months into "hurricane season."

Because that doesn't FIT THE NARRATIVE.

Once a hurricane or two FINALLY SHOWS up, they will play it UP TO THE HILT, and again, never point out how relatively few hurricanes we've had this year.

And blame climate change...of course.
Old 09-28-2022, 09:13 PM   #30
garyscpa

God luck to those in Florida in this storm.
garyscpa is online now   Reply With Quote Reply