Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-09-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
rwwupl

Horse Racing Commentary

http://www.nctimes.com/sports/column...ca01c6406.html

HORSE RACING COMMENTARY:
Del Mar's synthetic turf brings complaints

StoryDiscussionJEFF NAHILL - jnahill@nctimes.com | Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2009 11:40 pm | No Comments Posted

Polytrack's image as a safer surface than dirt took a hit this summer at Del Mar, where 12 horses were euthanized after sustaining injuries on the synthetic surface. Track president Joe Harper concedes that "It's not the same track we put in" in 2007.
.DEL MAR ---- The annual thoroughbred meet at Del Mar will come to an end late Wednesday afternoon, and it has become painfully apparent that Polytrack isn't the answer to all of the industry's ills.

That's not to say it was advertised that way, but it certainly was the feeling you got three years ago when Polytrack was installed.

The truth is everyone ---- trainers, maintenance workers, track officials and handicappers ---- is still trying to figure out synthetic surfaces.

And what everyone wants is a safe and consistent surface. Unfortunately that hasn't happened yet, but it still may in the future.

~~read the rest at the link above~~

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 09-09-2009 at 10:58 PM.
rwwupl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
andymays
Veteran

Another good article by Jeff Nahill.

I don't know how many articles it will take for people to understand that synthetic surfaces are fraudulent surfaces in my opinion.

They are not what they were sold to be!
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
ryesteve

"In fact, Casner blames gamblers"

You know, the attitude that people in this business have towards their customers has sucked for a long time, but I never thought we'd reach the point where we actually got blamed for horses getting killed.
ryesteve is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
rwwupl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryesteve

You know, the attitude that people in this business have towards their customers has sucked for a long time, but I never thought we'd reach the point where we actually got blamed for horses getting killed.
Somehow,Someway,it is always our fault and we are to blame. They seem to think it would be a great game if we just went away, but they seem to like big purse money. HMMMM--
Old 09-09-2009, 11:40 AM   #5
andymays
Veteran

Quote:

These guys are unbelievable aren't they?

You want to know who's been ruining racing? There are a couple guys in the article named Harper and Casner that are playing a big role in my opinion. These are just two of the many people that pull the strings. I hope Horseplayers start paying more attention to these people and the comments they make. Astonishing stuff!

Last edited by andymays; 09-09-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:47 AM   #6
Quagmire

In fact, Casner blames gamblers for getting Del Mar to speed up the track from the first year to the second.

"(Gamblers) love speed,"
Casner said. "It creates a competitive advantage. They can use their computer programs and stuff. The first year on the Polytrack you saw more horses competitive. All you had to do was look at the head of the lane and there were four, five and six horses across the track. The fields were compressed and that took the fun away from your whales (big bettors)."

Well I'm a gambler and I'd love a lower takeout...When do we get one? Since we seem to have all the stroke in So Cal.

Last edited by Quagmire; 09-09-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire
In fact, Casner blames gamblers for getting Del Mar to speed up the track from the first year to the second.

"(Gamblers) love speed,"
Casner said. "It creates a competitive advantage. They can use their computer programs and stuff. The first year on the Polytrack you saw more horses competitive. All you had to do was look at the head of the lane and there were four, five and six horses across the track. The fields were compressed and that took the fun away from your whales (big bettors)."

Well I'm a gambler and I'd love a lower takeout...When do we get one? Since we seem to have all the stroke in So Cal.

You can email Joe Harper and ask. I'm sure he'll have good laugh at our expense!

I hope more of the Racing Media does these types of articles to expose the types of people that influence Horse Racing.

Jeff Nahill is one of the best!

Last edited by andymays; 09-09-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:55 AM   #8
rwwupl

Quagmire wrote:

Quote:
Well I'm a gambler and I'd love a lower takeout...When do we get one? Since we seem to have all the stroke in So Cal. [/
Quagmire has my vote!
Old 09-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #9
KingChas
2 outta 3 aint bad

Quote:

And the old saying still applies;
"Shit runs downhill".
KingChas is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #10
Edward DeVere

Them Evil Gamblers

Wherein major horse owner Bill Casner tells us that Del Mar would be just fine if we could only get rid of them heartless, money-grubbing bettors who wager more than $2 a race.

Edward DeVere is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2009, 03:13 PM   #11
Imriledup

casner's an idiot, that's completely not true. Gamblers love the slow track, that creates more winners from the clouds and creates more longshot payoffs. Its the TRAINERS who complained about the slowness of the track, gamblers have no voice ever in anything like this.

When a 3-5 goes to the lead and collapses, you actually have a shot to have a nice profitable meet. When the 3-5 shot wins, how can you make any money? Like Harvey Pack says he's never met a man alive who paid a mortgage at 3-5.
Imriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2009, 03:31 PM   #12
slewis
Veteran

Bill Casner...Bill Casner.... Bill Casner... Where have I heard that name before??????..Oh yeah, that's right, he's the guy who owns Win Star farm, who, along with Phipps and Janney, pushed through the toe grab rule in the name of "safety"..

Now he's defending Poly... saying it's those "computer bettors that like speed" who are pressuring the industry and that the tracks are safe.

Someone write a letter to Bill Casner and ask him if he's an investor, part owner, shareholder etc, of ANY companies that install and maintain Poly surfaces in the world.

Go ahead.. write him a letter....

I'll bet you dont get a reply.

This guy is a total piece of sh..t who's strictly out for his own accord.
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2009, 03:57 PM   #13
andymays
Veteran

The comments from Harper and Casner should be a good lesson for every Horseplayer. Many of the people who run the sport are completely irrational and self serving. I've said before that these guys have to be personally invested in Polytrack in some way. Why else would you install and keep an all weather surface at the Del Mar meet where it's rained and been muddy maybe twice in the last 20 years.

Blaming the people who bet on the Races otherwise known as their Customers takes the cake!

Jeff Nahill and Art Wilson have done the best reporting on this stuff. We need more like them.

Last edited by andymays; 09-09-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:17 PM   #14
Tom Barrister
Veteran

Old news. The powers that be everywhere on Earth (not just in horse racing) look out for their own interests. The thoroughbred insdustry is just a bit less subtle about it.
Tom Barrister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2009, 04:58 PM   #15
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Barrister
Old news. The powers that be everywhere on Earth (not just in horse racing) look out for their own interests. The thoroughbred insdustry is just a bit less subtle about it.

They're just starting to be less subtle about it because guys like Jeff Hahill who know a little about Horse Racing are finally confronting them and reporting what they say to the public.

There are way too many Reporters that love to rub elbows with Racing Executives, Jockeys, and Trainers. They don't want to ask the tough questions because they worry about access to these guys.

As good as Jeff Nahill is I wish he were tougher on guys like Joe Harper. How can Joe Harper say this stuff after 3 years?