Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Trading The Financial Markets

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.11 average.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:51 AM   #1921
Valuist

Let me get the current market straight: bad earnings news can all be ignored, while good news, or less bad than expected, can be a positive? Seems to be the thinking. Too many companies are going to be getting free passes.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2020, 10:52 AM   #1922
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Weren't bad earnings news baked in during the initial drop?
Old 04-17-2020, 10:53 AM   #1923
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Weren't bad earnings news baked in during the initial drop?
Not fully, IMO. Guidance, for those that give it, keeps coming down. A lot of it is complete guesswork, as its totally unchartered waters.

Last edited by Valuist; 04-17-2020 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:53 AM   #1924
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
I've followed Master Card for a long time. My single most profitable stock in the past 10 years. A stop loss triggered a sale out of half my position back in late Feb. On one hand, I see consumers paying less and less with cash and getting levered up heavily in debt. OTOH, can't help but believe all discretionary purchases will be down significantly for several years. I would be very leery of shorting either MA or V, however. On good days, they are spring loaded.
yes...people will be loading up on their cards...

and then the bankruptcies will be rolling in afterwards......
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2020, 05:07 PM   #1925
Ocala Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeNameChanged View Post

Mike, is that a fundamental idea

Yes, too much exposure to small and medium size businesses, some of whom may not ever come back.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2020, 11:02 PM   #1926
Valuist

Right now, the S & P is trading at 17 times LAST YEAR'S earnings. So basically, if there was no coronavirus, no lockdowns, and unemployment was where it was two months ago, the market would still be expensive. Now figure a complete destruction of earnings. Now it could be trading 35 times, 50 or 75 times current years earnings. After this bear market rally subsides, there's a long way to go in reverse. We will retest the lows, IMO.
Old 04-18-2020, 11:58 PM   #1927
lamboguy

for the year, the nasdaq is trading at the highs for the year. its hard to believe!

in the S+P model, you have the very strongest stocks in it, MSFT, GOOG, NFLX, AMZN etc. those company's are all hiring more people now than before the shutdown. that's probably why you might want to short individual equities as opposed to an index.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2020, 06:32 AM   #1928
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
for the year, the nasdaq is trading at the highs for the year. its hard to believe!

in the S+P model, you have the very strongest stocks in it, MSFT, GOOG, NFLX, AMZN etc. those company's are all hiring more people now than before the shutdown. that's probably why you might want to short individual equities as opposed to an index.
Highest of the year-hard to believe?? Less than two months ago, it was at 9800+ points. Sitting at 8600+ points close of Friday.
FakeNameChanged is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2020, 07:31 AM   #1929
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeNameChanged View Post
Highest of the year-hard to believe?? Less than two months ago, it was at 9800+ points. Sitting at 8600+ points close of Friday.
sorry about that, i read the 9 as an 8. thats what happens sometimes when you try to read a screen without glasses.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:42 AM   #1930
Valuist

Quote:

I agree with your point about shorting indiividual names, as opposed to indexes.
Old 04-20-2020, 02:27 AM   #1931
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Stock futures down a bit, small profit taking....But who knows what the news of the day will bring.

https://www.investing.com/indices/indices-futures
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2020, 06:58 AM   #1932
lamboguy

the story of the day is that oil is no longer a teenager, trading in high 12's now, i guess its heading for single digits now.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:24 PM   #1933
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Futures are suggesting we might be starting to dive back towards testing that low....Time is getting short for crashing the market before POTUS reopens the country….Boom, boom, boom it's going to happen, no doubt.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2020, 10:53 AM   #1934
lamboguy

i have the s+P going to 2641 for now. with all these big swings, the projections seem to be working.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:27 PM   #1935
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
the story of the day is that oil is no longer a teenager, trading in high 12's now, i guess its heading for single digits now.
Mr. lamb-oil-guy, what do you think about oil now? Lower, or was that a bottom? Do you think these bumps are a trap? I'm avoiding the oil funds for now, just playing three big oil companies, figuring they know it a whole better than me.
FakeNameChanged is offline   Reply With Quote Reply