Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-10-2009, 10:51 PM   #61
ghostyapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
This isn't off-topic...thus name calling is frowned on even more here...
It is hilarious the posts you cherry pick to "warn" about name calling. They always happen to be people who share your opinion on the subject.

I and others have been called much worse by the rachel cheer leaders that conveniently went unnoticed.

Last edited by ghostyapper; 09-10-2009 at 10:52 PM.
ghostyapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2009, 11:39 PM   #62
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyapper
It is hilarious the posts you cherry pick to "warn" about name calling. They always happen to be people who share your opinion on the subject.

I and others have been called much worse by the rachel cheer leaders that conveniently went unnoticed.
I used 'knucklehead' in a sentence directed at no one in particular.And get a warning.You really have to wonder if he realizes how these obvious petty displays of bias makes him look.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2009, 06:15 PM   #63
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cratos
Amazing because a misspell is driven by phonetics.
Nothing to do with phonetics. Has to do with misspelling one of the biggest training legends in the game...akin to going to a baseball forum and seeing someone spell it Mickey Mantel.

Always been a pet peeve of mine as well when someone on here spells it Lucas.

Hall of Fame trainer...one of the biggest training figures in the sport the past two decades...if you're a fan of the game, how do you spell that one wrong?
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2009, 06:17 PM   #64
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyapper

Absolutely not true. And I have proof.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:20 PM   #65
46zilzal
velocitician

subjectivity is never objective now is it?
Old 09-11-2009, 06:21 PM   #66
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank
You really have to wonder if he realizes how these obvious petty displays of bias makes him look.
It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the people doing the most name calling are people I don't agree with in general.

But then, I'm sure you'll point to off-topic and boxcar....oh, but wait, I recently chastised Boxcar for namecalling....shoot...can't go there I guess.... I'm also sure you're convinced that boxcar and I see eye-to-eye on everything (which again, is not true). So maybe your theory DOES hold some water...

Next.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 09-11-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:56 PM   #67
Cratos

Quote:
Nothing to do with phonetics. Has to do with misspelling one of the biggest training legends in the game...akin to going to a baseball forum and seeing someone spell it Mickey Mantel.

Always been a pet peeve of mine as well when someone on here spells it Lucas.

Hall of Fame trainer...one of the biggest training figures in the sport the past two decades...if you're a fan of the game, how do you spell that one wrong?
You couldn’t be more wrong, the notoriety of Lukas training accomplishment is not a provocation to remember how to spell his name. Most people are taught to spell phonetically because it is a system of spelling in which each letter represents constantly the same spoken sound.

If you believe that remembering someone’s achievements is a reference for spelling their name, then you taken linguistics to a new level.

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2009, 11:58 PM   #68
ryesteve

Quote:
Most people are taught to spell phonetically because it is a system of spelling in which each letter represents constantly the same spoken sound.
But since "k" always has the same spoken sound and "c" doesn't, wouldn't "Lukas" have been the correct phonetic spelling anyway?
ryesteve is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2009, 01:26 AM   #69
Imriledup

Google him and you can get the correct spelling.
Imriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2009, 06:42 PM   #70
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryesteve
But since "k" always has the same spoken sound and "c" doesn't, wouldn't "Lukas" have been the correct phonetic spelling anyway?
We await the answer from Cratos...
Old 09-12-2009, 06:53 PM   #71
bisket

some have a star wars bias to their thinking. the force wasn't with them while spelling lucas
bisket is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2009, 07:39 PM   #72
Tee

In my opinion the first response was a real tough sell. I don't know if I really want to read another one.

Quote:
We await the answer from Cratos...
Old 09-12-2009, 08:52 PM   #73
Cratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryesteve

You are wrong because how would you know if you only heard the pronunciation of the word? Also, when “C” and “K” can be used interchangeably, phonetically they have the same sound. For example: cat and Kat, car and kar, cram, and kram, kart and cart, etc.

Therefore what is learned and taught is that we spell by sound, but alternate spellings are sometimes used even though the word is the same.

In general usage, “lucas” is probably spelled more consistently with the “C” usage and from a phonetic point of view it could be either “K” or “C,” but from a personal preference point of view, I assume that D. Wayne prefers “K.”

However PA, your original resplendent off-topic response in this thread definitely gives me pause for thought about your voracity to respond to a topic in a concise manner.

Last edited by Cratos; 09-12-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:35 PM   #74
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
However PA, your original resplendent off-topic response in this thread definitely gives me pause for thought about your voracity to respond to a topic in a concise manner.
You win the award for the longest sentence of the day devoid of any actual meaning.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:44 PM   #75
Cratos

Quote:
You win the award for the longest sentence of the day devoid of any actual meaning.
Thank you sir, I will try and do better in the future and is open to any help that you might be willing to give to me in the area of critical writing.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: