Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 01-23-2021, 10:15 PM   #1
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
NFL Conference Championships

Sunday the AFC and NFC championships to determine who plays in the Super Bowl will be played.Interesting wrinkle is that if Tampa Bay wins, they will be the first team in Super Bowl history to play the game in their home stadium.

Green Bay (-3 1/2) over Tampa Bay.

Aaron Rodgers has been in the zone all year and is the likely NFL MVP.I see this continuing on Sunday . I think the cold ,28 degrees at kickoff, will be a real factor for these Floridians.They struggled against the Reds***s a couple of weeks ago in weather that was also less than ideal.

Kansas City (-3) over Buffalo.

Patrick Mahomes has been cleared to play after his concussion last week.The Chiefs may have a 14-2 team but they don't seem like a dominant team this year.Still they've "been there,done that" whereas Buffalo hasn't been anywhere or done much of anything football wise in the past thirty years.

Playoffs 4-6.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2021, 07:33 PM   #2
Valuist

Rufus Peabody is on Twitter, trying to defend Lefleur's head scratching decision to kick a field goal, down 8 with 2:20 to play on 4th and goal from the Tampa 8. You are already down there, you have a HoF QB in Rodgers, and you have Brady on the other side. Your chances of not getting the ball back are too high. I guess it was the right call if one's objective was delay losing by a couple minutes (real time). But the object is to play to win. Yes, if you fail the game is over by the 2 minutes warning, but like someone else said, "if your model says that was the right call, it's time to tear apart that model and start from scratch."
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2021, 10:37 PM   #3
Ray Donovon
Journeyman

Coaches decisions......minga

It’s a ridiculous call to kick there. Any idiot who knows the first thing about football knows that.
Bills not kicking xp to make it a 2 score is just as bad.
Ray Donovon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2021, 10:46 PM   #4
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
Rufus Peabody is on Twitter, trying to defend Lefleur's head scratching decision to kick a field goal, down 8 with 2:20 to play on 4th and goal from the Tampa 8. You are already down there, you have a HoF QB in Rodgers, and you have Brady on the other side. Your chances of not getting the ball back are too high. I guess it was the right call if one's objective was delay losing by a couple minutes (real time). But the object is to play to win. Yes, if you fail the game is over by the 2 minutes warning, but like someone else said, "if your model says that was the right call, it's time to tear apart that model and start from scratch."
Another thing I have a problem with is teams going for two when they are down by five with lots of time left to play. If you miss it like Green Bay did, it leaves you needing a two pointer to tie it if the other team kicks a field goal, which was what happened. Kicking the field goal was the dumbest decision I have ever seen. If you fail, the Bucs get the ball at their eight. I think they go for it if they were down 7 and not 8.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:52 PM   #5
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
Sunday the AFC and NFC championships to determine who plays in the Super Bowl will be played.Interesting wrinkle is that if Tampa Bay wins, they will be the first team in Super Bowl history to play the game in their home stadium.

Green Bay (-3 1/2) over Tampa Bay.

Aaron Rodgers has been in the zone all year and is the likely NFL MVP.I see this continuing on Sunday . I think the cold ,28 degrees at kickoff, will be a real factor for these Floridians.They struggled against the Reds***s a couple of weeks ago in weather that was also less than ideal.

Kansas City (-3) over Buffalo.

Patrick Mahomes has been cleared to play after his concussion last week.The Chiefs may have a 14-2 team but they don't seem like a dominant team this year.Still they've "been there,done that" whereas Buffalo hasn't been anywhere or done much of anything football wise in the past thirty years.

Playoffs 4-6.
Got the split. Agree that kicking the field goal was a bonehead move.That's the kind of strategy you use against a crap team with no running game and the third string quarterback playing, not a Tom Brady led team that's been moving the ball all day

Playoffs 5-7.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2021, 11:16 PM   #6
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Donovon View Post
It’s a ridiculous call to kick there. Any idiot who knows the first thing about football knows that.
Bills not kicking xp to make it a 2 score is just as bad.
Agree 100%. My kid is always throwing those metric things at me, but I'll never be sold on them. A coach should know his team and the prevailing situation and make his decisions based on that.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2021, 03:30 PM   #7
thaskalos

If the field goal that they kicked would have made it a 3-point game, then it would have been the right call. But the field goal made it a 5-point game...which necessitated another touchdown anyway. What were the chances that they would stop Brady cold, and then score a touchdown themselves, with seconds left and no timeouts? Somewhere between slim and none, IMO. You are first and goal on the 8-yard line...and you need 8 points to tie the game. If this isn't a 4-down situation, then...why do you keep throwing the ball down there? Mix in a running play and try to get inside the 5. It would have made the 4-down decision much easier to make.

A dumb series all the way around...as far as I am concerned.

Last edited by thaskalos; 01-25-2021 at 03:32 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply