Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 02-08-2018, 09:26 AM   #1
Teach

Meadowlands 'Caps: Friday, February 9

Race One:

3 MASTER OF EXCUSES was full of trot last Friday; he was coming fast in the stretch in a similar race. This gelding finished 4th, but only a little over one-length off the winner. Anything resembling that 2018 initial “Big M” try – he had been campaigning at Yonkers -- makes this 8-year old “a contendah” (I think he can build off last week’s effort). If his driver, the capable Monica Banca (she’s also part-owner) can pick up “live” cover on the back-straight, she may well be able to “slingshot” her way down the lane. I don’t expect 10-1 – that would be an overlay - but I’d certainly settle for 5-1 or 6-1. Rick Dane, Jr. trains (he’s also part-owner). Others: 2 early speed, better post; 7 this gelding was game last week, board-hitter; 9 must get into game, sooner; 6 was full of trot in last, but now draws outside, the trip.

Race Two:

5 ZANE HANOVER is my value-play try. I’m eschewing the #1 because I fear that she’ll be over-bet and present little value (Oh, make no mistake, I’m using her). This 4-year old Somebeachsomewhere-bred has an early turn of foot. If Vinny Ginsburg can put this mare into a good stalking position from her mid-pack starting post, she will most certainly be a factor. She can close. Bruce Saunders trains; he’s also part-owner. Others: 1 the “logical”; 4 speedy, if he finds a tuck?; 9 longshot try, this horse can fly in stretch, if speed ties up?; 7 front-speed, may be stepping up a bit.

Race Three:

2 TROUBLE RIEU N has been “bridesmaid” (or is it “best man”) in his last two. Yet, this 8-year old has enough early speed to grab the lead and not look back. I don’t expect much in return at the windows; yet I find it hard to make a serious case for anyone else. Dawn Dellaporte is this New Zealand-bred’s conditioner. Jim Marohn, Jr. reprises the drive. One note of caution: This horse missed a start last week. Others: 1 (certainly logical, may have needed last race); 3 longshot try, gets post relief; 6 has been campaigning on ½ mile ovals, “Big M’ wake-up call?

Race Four:

3 BREAK FREE has been most competitive in recent races at this level, with the only exception being a race on a sloppy track. This Explosive Matter-bred gelding does get a measure of post position relief; that should make his job that much easier. He should be forwardly placed. Kelvin Harrison trains; Brett Miller is in the bike. Others: 5 has the one big brush, yet no A-Nap; 4 may need one, he’s faced better at both Yonkers and Woodbine; 1 had a decent qualifier, but I’m nervous about young trotter on the rail. Caveat emptor.

Race Five:

5 SPILLING THE BEANS gets a measure of both post- and class-relief. Those two factors alone puts this bay filly “in the mix”. If this 6-year old Camluck-bred charges to the lead, he may not look back. Vinny Ginsburg (of the Ginsburg-Fusco famiglia/mishpocheh) mans the reins for trainer Tom Corelli. Others: 2 drops back down where he belongs, his last in the “high-rent” district was just too much; 3 was flying home in his last, anything resembling that effort; 1 may need a race, then again it wouldn’t be a complete surprise; 4 there’s a degree of back-class.

Race Six:

1 KABANG is my upset try. Yes, his time at Yonkers in a recent 2nd place finish was nothing to write home about, but that was at the tight-turned “Ol’ Hilltop”. He now crosses the Hudson and arrives in East Rutherford, NJ. Those “Big M” wide, sweeping turns can do wonders for this relatively young trotter. Further, his :28 seconds first quarter at Yonkers is nothing to sneeze at. This 4-year old could easily best that first panel mark at The Meadowlands. I believe this Explosive Matter-bred gelding is worthy of consideration. Brett Miller is in the sulky for trainer Ron Burke. Others: 2 has been most consistent sort at this level; that late kick is impressive; 3 has had some “dancing” problems, but if he stays flat…; 7 a longshot try; he must get into the game, early.

Race Seven:

8 SCIROCCO JAKOB is, quite frankly, a bit of a mystery. Will he or won’t he…leave? If this 7-year old Explosive Matter-bred leaves, he can become an instant player. I believe that even if he doesn’t leave, he still has a chance. There’s a distinct class edge here. Marcus Miller reprises the drive for trainer Greg White. Others: 2 he’sback down where he can compete; 1 draws the rail for a solid driver/trainer combo; 6 made an uncharacteristic break in last; if he stays flat…

Race Eight:

6 LADY OF HEAVEN is a solid closer who should come flying “off the tailgate”. Jim Marohn, Jr. must time his late brush, perfectly. It appears likely that the horse will be trying to chase down Monica Gallagher. Make no mistake: she’s a force here and cannot be ignored. It’s sort of one of those “Tortoise vs. Hare” races. Frankly, I’ve got to try for some value. Bruce Saunders is both trainer and part-owner. Others: 4 the “logical,” razor-sharp; 3 second-time Lasix, has faced better; 2 solid effort at Yonkers, yet may need a race. Then again…

Race Nine:

3 YOUR MAJESTIC ran a solid race on a cold and windy Meadowlands oval last Friday night; she finished 2nd. It was a race she very much needed after a lengthy layoff. Now, with that tightener under her belt, she’s most capable of taking this field wire-to-wire. Tyler Buter is in the bike for trainer Andrew Harris. Others: 2 may be coming up to a big race, “logical”; 4 another gelding who could be sitting on a big trip; 8 must get into the flow, a degree of back-class.

Race Ten:

1 DRIVING MISS CRAZY got a nose-full of frigid East Rutherford air last week as she set out for the lead from her outside post. This Crazed-bred mare briefly made the top only to run out of steam. This 7-year old now draws inside. That post relief may just be the factor that does the trick. A-Nap is in the bike for the most capable trainer, Bob Lounsbury. Others: 7 may have needed last, has faced better; 5 fits well in this company, rounding into form; 3 looks like he’s ready for a better trip.

Race Eleven:

5 FIJI was the “surprise” horse in last Friday’s first race at 40-
1; she finished 2nd behind Rossini. This Cantab Hall-bred gelding doesn’t get the pole tonight, yet even from the 5-hole she has to be considered. If “Eric the Red” Abbatiello can work out the trip, this bay gelding’s “a contendah”. Abbatiello is also the horse’s trainer. Others: 6 did not “fire” in his last, yet he fits well in this company; 1 draws the rail, may be overmatched in this company, then again… 3 ships in from upstate NY, may find the “Big M” oval to his liking?

Race Twelve:

1A MISSLAROSE has been razor-sharp. Yet, she is stepping up in company. That, frankly, does concern me; however, in her current good form, I’d be hard-pressed to leave her off my ticket. I might suggest “buying insurance”…if you catch my drift. A-Nap is in the bike for Ron Burke. Others: 5 looks like the major threat, will likely go off as chalk; yet broke in last as ½ shot; 6 must be regarded, wasn’t that some late-closing brush; 3 would be a surprise, yet he appears to be on the upswing.

Race Thirteen:

1 VEGAS IN STYLE disappointed a couple weeks ago as the even-money shot when she made a costly break at the beginning of the race. All that would appear to be necessary is for this mare to garner the win is for this mare to stay flat. This 5-year old does have the speed to tower over this field. Jim Marohn, Jr. for trainer Ron Burke. Others: 5 longshot try who won her last at Freehold; 4 gets A-Nap in bike and post relief; 2 another mare who gets post relief. I would not rule out.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2018, 06:35 PM   #2
BaconLover
Formerly “Cyber”

Breakdown

R1 - 8725 (639)
R2 - 1 54 (9$7)
R3 - 2 16 (349)
R4 - 534 1 (87)
R5 - 32145$ (7)