Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:32 AM   #1
thespaah

Penn National Vets in very hot water

Story in bloodhorse.com regarding cheating scandal involving 4 Penn National veterinarians...
Bad news....How long was this going on and how long have the betting public and the owners/ trainers that raced clean were getting hosed.
Good news. The crooks got caught. And from the looks of it, these people are up on federal charges.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...nal?source=rss
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2015, 07:06 AM   #2
chadk66

every vet does this. nothing new to see here.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2015, 07:28 AM   #3
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66
every vet does this. nothing new to see here.
this might be legal, but it doesn't make it right for the horses along with other treatments they call therapeudic.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2015, 07:46 AM   #4
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
Story in bloodhorse.com regarding cheating scandal involving 4 Penn National veterinarians...
Bad news....How long was this going on and how long have the betting public and the owners/ trainers that raced clean were getting hosed.
Good news. The crooks got caught. And from the looks of it, these people are up on federal charges.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...nal?source=rss
Q. Bad news....How long was this going on and how long have the betting public and the owners/ trainers that raced clean were getting hosed.

A. About 40 years that my first hand knowledge goes back too. Both Chad and I have discussed how this was done a month or 2 before the report comes out and validates exactly what we both said.
You have 2 former trainers that both left the game they put so much into because of this crap explaining in detail all the dirty secrets that are asked. Then, when a "report" comes out, people have questions? Really?
They arrested 4 but there are plenty more out there. As I have said, EVERYBODY on the backside knows exactly who these people are. Nobody on the backside is surprised .
Pretty sure Chad is doing well in his new occupation and I know I am. I sure hope you are Chad. Most former trainers that have 1/2 an ounce of sense, work circles around their competition which usually leads to financial gain and a successful business.
So yes, 4 are arrested with a boatload more waiting in the wings. Plenty of trainers as well. Remember, it takes 2 to tango. So nice start, albeit 25 years too late. But let's not be surprised. Chad and I sure as hell are not.
Ruffian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2015, 09:28 AM   #5
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffian1
Q. Bad news....How long was this going on and how long have the betting public and the owners/ trainers that raced clean were getting hosed.

A. About 40 years that my first hand knowledge goes back too. Both Chad and I have discussed how this was done a month or 2 before the report comes out and validates exactly what we both said.
You have 2 former trainers that both left the game they put so much into because of this crap explaining in detail all the dirty secrets that are asked. Then, when a "report" comes out, people have questions? Really?
They arrested 4 but there are plenty more out there. As I have said, EVERYBODY on the backside knows exactly who these people are. Nobody on the backside is surprised .
Pretty sure Chad is doing well in his new occupation and I know I am. I sure hope you are Chad. Most former trainers that have 1/2 an ounce of sense, work circles around their competition which usually leads to financial gain and a successful business.
So yes, 4 are arrested with a boatload more waiting in the wings. Plenty of trainers as well. Remember, it takes 2 to tango. So nice start, albeit 25 years too late. But let's not be surprised. Chad and I sure as hell are not.
yea no surprise. as we said this is the norm. if you started busting vets for this there wouldn't be any left at any racing jurisdiction lol. And as you I'm making a great living now, I work in the oil industry. I have had inclinations to get back into the game but boy that gets squashed every time I think about the whole ordeal. I miss the horses and that's it. In fact every time I deal with my brother the horse owner it solidifies how out of touch most of the owners are and I don't want to deal with that ever again. If I ever did loose my sanity and do it again it would be 100% with my own owned horses. No outside horses with the only exception being my step dad who is 100% on board with my way of thinking and understands you pay trainers for a reason lol. He is a handicapper by nature and never claims to know any more about taking care of them. He is the ultimate realist. I don't want to hijack this post but someday I'll tell you a great story about him and his handicapping
Old 03-31-2015, 09:44 AM   #6
forced89

I see nothing wrong with trainers telling vets what meds they want as long as they are legal. The back dating, however, is wrong and should be punished.
forced89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2015, 10:14 AM   #7
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by forced89
I see nothing wrong with trainers telling vets what meds they want as long as they are legal. The back dating, however, is wrong and should be punished.
like we said, happens every single day at every tack in this country.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:24 AM   #8
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by forced89
The "trainers telling vets what meds they want as long as they are legal"? ..You have no idea how wrong this reads.

The trainer knows more about veterinary medicine than the vet? Some of us have a difficult time drawing this conclusion.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2015, 10:57 AM   #9
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
The "trainers telling vets what meds they want as long as they are legal"? ..You have no idea how wrong this reads.

The trainer knows more about veterinary medicine than the vet? Some of us have a difficult time drawing this conclusion.
it's not about trainers telling vets what meds they want. the issue is vets injecting horses within 24 hrs of a race with meds, even though legal, can't be injected within 24hrs of a race.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:12 AM   #10
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66
it's not about trainers telling vets what meds they want. the issue is vets injecting horses within 24 hrs of a race with meds, even though legal, can't be injected within 24hrs of a race.
Chad, I know that your reading comprehension is as good as my own. This clearly indicates trainer intent. If not, what am I missing? The piece states.

Quote:
"It was part of the conspiracy charged ... that Thoroughbred horse trainers known to the United States ordered from (one of the four charged vets) substances the trainers wanted administered to a particular horse(s) entered in a particular race on race day," read each of the case outlines of the four charged vets.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2015, 11:18 AM   #11
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
Chad, I know that your reading comprehension is as good as my own. This clearly indicates trainer intent. If not, what am I missing? The piece states.
trainers tell vets what they want administered all the time. anything from bute, banamine, electrolyte jugs, dmso jugs, lasix for morning workouts, anti-biotics, etc. etc. trainers know a lot about meds, they work with vets every single day. when I shipped horses There is nothing illegal about a trainer telling a vet what he wants administered. In this situation the problem was vets administering meds within the twenty four hour, no administration period prior to a race. Only med approved for administration within that period that I know of is Lasix. And unless something has changed that is four hours out and not any closer to race time.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:21 AM   #12
DeltaLover

Penn National?? My advice to a horse bettor, would be to simply stay far from it (unless he is an insider of course)... This kind of small (Mickey Mouse) tracks, are very bad your bankroll and there exist much better places to take your chances than betting to their anaemic pools.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:03 PM   #13
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Any vet who would listen to a trainer for what drugs to give a horse should lose his license and be barred from the tracks.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:10 PM   #14
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Any vet who would listen to a trainer for what drugs to give a horse should lose his license and be barred from the tracks.
you obviously don't know what your talking about.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:14 PM   #15
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom

One of the best suggestions to improve the game