Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #151
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Not fit to be left alone with kids, this lot of greedy A holes.
Fire them all.

5 school days lost so far......the kids do not matter to this bunch of leeches.
No wonder we have so many idiots voting for dip sticks like Obama - they have teachers like this!
Old 09-17-2012, 12:42 AM   #152
Striker

Glad to see that both sides agree on the students getting their textbooks the 1st week of school instead of the 5th or 6th week of school. They are making progress here.
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2012, 01:17 AM   #153
johnhannibalsmith

CHICAGO (Reuters) - The confrontation between Chicago teachers and Mayor Rahm Emanuel escalated on Sunday when their union extended a strike and the mayor said he would go to court to block the walkout, risking more friction within President Barack Obama's political coalition as the November 6 election nears.
Union busting Republican thug.

http://news.yahoo.com/chicago-mayor-...--finance.html

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2012, 06:16 AM   #154
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong
Enter the usual suspects defending teachers and unions here......afterall, "it's all about the children"

What a joke that union is

http://news.yahoo.com/chicago-teache...230003667.html

Union president Karen Lewis said teachers want the opportunity to continue to discuss the offer that is on the table.

"Our members are not happy," Lewis said. "They want to know if there is anything more they can get."
Are you in a union? Do you believe that there are any good unions out there?

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #155
cj's dad

As the Chicago teachers’ strike continues, we’ve learned that they make $71-76,000 a year and they turned down a 16% pay increase, which amounts to $11,360. They work nine months out of the year, but say that this strike is benefits oriented. However, given that ABC World News didn’t even air this story last Sunday and most of the media, with the exception of CBS, failing to mention the compensation statistics in their broadcast – suffice to say that the media will probably ignore the fact that almost 40% of Chicago’s public school teachers send their kids to private schools.

http://hotair.com/archives/2012/09/1...here-to-learn/
Old 09-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #156
badcompany

It's hard to arrive at the conclusion that this is a good Union when you consider that Unions, by design, are supposed to act in the best interest of their members, and they aren't the kids.

― Thomas Sowell
badcompany is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #157
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper Al
Are you in a union? Do you believe that there are any good unions out there?
I'm not in a union. Would refuse it.

Yeah, there are good unions.
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #158
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

The union president sure hasn't missed any meals during all this.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #159
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

All students accounted for?
Better take roll call!
Old 09-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #160
Capper Al

Teachers, does this sound about right? And many teachers don't get 8 weeks off in the summer either. Source: Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Old 09-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #161
ArlJim78

the average teacher works 10 hour a days? I'm calling bs on that one Al.
I just read where CTS elementary school teachers have a 296 minute per day requirement, even after the new deal.
the whole reason they wanted a 30% raise in Chicago was because Rahm wanted them to work a 20% longer day, still only around 7.5 hours.
nothing in there was ever discussed about 10 hour days. Karen Lewis would be demanding a 100% raise for that.

if teachers were underpaid you'd see them leaving the unions in droves for better paying jobs, but you don't because nowhere can you find work like that for the same pay and benefits.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #162
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
the average teacher works 10 hour a days? I'm calling bs on that one Al.
I just read where CTS elementary school teachers have a 296 minute per day requirement, even after the new deal.
the whole reason they wanted a 30% raise in Chicago was because Rahm wanted them to work a 20% longer day, still only around 7.5 hours.
nothing in there was ever discussed about 10 hour days. Karen Lewis would be demanding a 100% raise for that.

if teachers were underpaid you'd see them leaving the unions in droves for better paying jobs, but you don't because nowhere can you find work like that for the same pay and benefits.
Capper Al is talking about time worked. You're talking about time spent in the class room. There is a lot more to a teacher's job than what she does in the classroom. A typical elementary school teacher teaches four or five subjects. Each of those subjects has to have a lesson plan; both an overall plan for the semester and a specific plan for the week or the next day. These take time to formulate and develop.

The teacher has to grade tests and homework. If you are a High School Math teacher with three or four classes each day, you will have fifty plus papers to grade each night. You can not know if your students understand the subject if you don't grade their homework papers.

The you have the paperwork. I have a friend who is a fourth grade teacher. She loves the teaching part of teaching, but is very frustrated by the reports and evaluations she is required to fill out.

If Capper Al's stats are incorrect, he has erred on the side of too few hours per day.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:33 AM   #163
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost

If Capper Al's stats are incorrect, he has erred on the side of too few hours per day.
The source is the Gates foundation. Not exactly a Liberal think tank. My wife is a special ed teacher. I can testify for her that she spends more time than what is quoted. There's lots of legal paperwork with special ed students.

Anatole France

Old 09-19-2012, 07:07 AM   #164
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost
A typical elementary school teacher teaches four or five subjects. Each of those subjects has to have a lesson plan; both an overall plan for the semester and a specific plan for the week or the next day. These take time to formulate and develop.
If you teach the same grade year after year, you only have to do it once.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2012, 07:38 AM   #165
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

No, they have to dumb it down every year because 25% fail.