Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-29-2024, 06:30 PM   #1
cnollfan

Diodoro suspended

Robertino Diodoro suspended for possession of levothyroxine.
cnollfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2024, 06:45 PM   #2
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
BloodHorse.com | by Molly Robbins | 03-29-2024
Levothyroxine Found in Diodoro Barn at Oaklawn Park:
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...t-oaklawn-park

Quote:
The trainer's horses will need to be removed from the track as of March 31.
Quote:
Multiple graded stakes-winning trainer Robertino Diodoro, currently second in the Oaklawn Park trainer standings, has been cited for possession of the banned substance levothyroxine and faces up to a two-year suspension. The case has not yet been fully adjudicated.

The infraction against the trainer was first posted on the Horseracing Integrity and Welfare Unit website March 29, although the findings date back to March 13. Levothyroxine, a thyroid supplement and synthetic version of a hormone called thyroxine, is banned by HIWU after years of overuse in the racing industry. Thyroid hormones serve to promote oxygen consumption, regulate the synthesis of various proteins, control body heat production, and stimulate metabolism.

Diodoro has been summarily suspended until the case has been reviewed by HIWU's Internal Adjunction Panel and then by a federal administrative law judge. He has hired Arkansas-based attorney John Holleman for representation.

Asked to comment, Diodoro directed BloodHorse to Holleman, who did not respond.
Quote:
Last May, Diodoro was given a 30-day suspension and a $1,000 fine from the Arkansas Racing Commission for a horse that raced with an excessive level of total carbon dioxide in its blood. He served 15 days over the start of the Oaklawn meet, Dec. 8-22, with 15 days stayed on the condition that no Class A or Class B medication violations occur in any racing jurisdiction within 365 days from May 15, 2023, according to the ruling. The Association of Racing Commissioners International classifies levothyroxine as penalty Class C.

Carbon dioxide is monitored by regulators to identify cases of "milkshaking," a practice of dosing a horse with a sodium bicarbonate solution in order to attempt to reduce the fatigue caused by lactic acid buildup in muscles during a race.

Diodoro waived his right to a stewards' hearing and his right to an appeal, but he insisted in a spring 2023 interview with BloodHorse that the horse testing positive, Aristocracy , had not been "milkshaked." The trainer did say his horses get baking soda added to their feed to help manage ulcers and prevent tying up, which is severe muscle spasms that can follow strenuous exercise.

After Diodoro completed the suspension, Oaklawn allotted the trainer stalls for 2023-24.

"Because of our stewards, the punishment we gave Diodoro was a 30-day suspension, which he did do," Cella said. "We gave him stalls this year under the understanding that he was aware he would not get another strike. He has a full barn, he has a lot of horses, and several different owners, and we thought it was only fair to give him another chance, so to speak. And we tell that to everyone. At Oaklawn, we are going to understand and listen to you and see if there is a reason to give someone a second chance, but that's it.

"There was no surprise with this," Cella said.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 03-29-2024 at 06:50 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2024, 06:55 PM   #3
PalaceOfFortLarned

Almost as shocking as the Sun rising every day.
PalaceOfFortLarned is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2024, 06:58 PM   #4
thaskalos

I remember the old days, when we were being told that the cheating only took place at the minor tracks. The story went that no major trainers and jockeys would jeopardize their livelihoods at the major tracks where the purses are worthwhile.
Old 03-29-2024, 08:39 PM   #5
CheckMark

Wouldn't Diodoro learn from his first suspension not to use any banned/class substances?

I tabbed him as one of the best trainers at Oaklawn but honestly not anymore.
Old 03-29-2024, 08:59 PM   #6
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMark View Post
Wouldn't Diodoro learn from his first suspension not to use any banned/class substances?

I tabbed him as one of the best trainers at Oaklawn but honestly not anymore.
Much to learn young Jedi.
Old 03-29-2024, 09:01 PM   #7
GH1956

Imagine that trainers cheating
GH1956 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2024, 09:04 PM   #8
denniswilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
Much to learn young Jedi.
Some learning curves may just be too steep.
denniswilliams is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2024, 09:15 PM   #9
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniswilliams View Post
Some learning curves may just be too steep.
We were all young and naive in our teens and 20's in this game when we were all bright and bushy-tailed hoping for all the best.

Reality hit us all hard at one time or other. Usually it takes enough losses from 'certain' trainers before it gets beaten into your skull to understand.

Check is now at the stage of finding out. And not only that, an entire world of information and the internet to glean from, which we simply never had and had to learn the very hard way.

Last edited by PalaceOfFortLarned; 03-29-2024 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-29-2024, 09:59 PM   #10
MJC922

There are probably a number of stable employees walking around the barns who need to take this every day. Thyroid conditions are about as common as the day is long and this stuff is everywhere for people of all ages. My son takes one every morning for his Hashimotos. I think if I were a trainer I would be very concerned with someone flipping something into a feed tub. It doesn't compute to me that someone risks their career to get levothyroxine into a horse but I suppose anything is possible. Someone robbed a McDonald's at gunpoint here yesterday so apparently not everyone thinks in my terms of go big or go home.
Old 03-29-2024, 10:13 PM   #11
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I took it for hashimotos disease for a short period. Changed to something else……

I still couldn’t run for shit…………
Old 03-29-2024, 10:14 PM   #12
1st time lasix

About time…. Cheating bastard.
1st time lasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2024, 12:20 AM   #13
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I still couldn’t run for shit…………
Now THAT'S funny!
Old 03-30-2024, 09:15 AM   #14
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
We were all young and naive in our teens and 20's in this game when we were all bright and bushy-tailed hoping for all the best.

Reality hit us all hard at one time or other. Usually it takes enough losses from 'certain' trainers before it gets beaten into your skull to understand.

Check is now at the stage of finding out. And not only that, an entire world of information and the internet to glean from, which we simply never had and had to learn the very hard way.
Man oh man, isn't THAT the truth.
Ruffian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2024, 01:05 PM   #15
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Another cheating thief who will be welcombed back with open arms.

Makes you wonder about of trainers.

But, hey, racing has integrity!