Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Poll: Saratoga vs Del Mar
Poll Options
Saratoga vs Del Mar

Old 07-29-2023, 04:38 PM   #1
PalaceOfFortLarned

Toga vs Del Mar

Yes, it may be an East vs West coast question.

Toga gets all the love, but Del Mar will always deliver.

Why? Weather. Simply weather.

When you cap Toga, you always have to keep in mind if it will be wet, and if it will be wet early or late.

Del Mar? Just look for the best horses. Weather isn't a problem.
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2023, 05:28 PM   #2
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Saratoga gets their entries from the eastern third of the racing nation. It's not just New York stables re-locating north. Del Mar to me is just Cali racing somewhere else.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2023, 09:23 PM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
Saratoga gets their entries from the eastern third of the racing nation. It's not just New York stables re-locating north. Del Mar to me is just Cali racing somewhere else.
You should check out their PPs. They are getting ship ins from all over. They've done a great job drawing shippers. They wouldn't be getting these big fields with just Cali horses. We'll see if it will continue the whole meet, but it has been great so far.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2023, 10:08 PM   #4
ronsmac

I prefer Del Mar because year after year the average field size is always bigger and the 4 day week works better for me.

Last edited by ronsmac; 07-29-2023 at 10:09 PM.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2023, 10:31 PM   #5
classhandicapper

The stakes at Del Mar today were terrific. Both were nice sized competitive fields. When I let the moths out of my wallet for both races you know the racing is good. We’ve seen some huge performances and exciting stakes races at Saratoga, but the fields sizes are still an issue.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 07-29-2023 at 10:33 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2023, 11:06 PM   #6
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

Saratoga clearly seems to get a bigger handle simply based on the name Saratoga! Race 5 today had a 4 horse field and the win pool was $460,649. Only two races at Del Mar had a higher handle over that 4 horse field. $549,997 Race 8 Del Mar with a 9 horse field and $689,774 Race 10 Del Mar with a 12 horse field. The 5 horse field for the Jim Dandy did $1,450,528 in the win pool. Clearly it doesn't matter what the field size or the track condition is for Saratoga! People are betting that track because of the name!
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2023, 11:06 PM   #7
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
You should check out their PPs. They are getting ship ins from all over. They've done a great job drawing shippers. They wouldn't be getting these big fields with just Cali horses. We'll see if it will continue the whole meet, but it has been great so far.
ABSOLUTELY !!!
I've been having a really fun time so far although the betting patterns in the Maiden races have been a bit chaotic.
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2023, 11:21 PM   #8
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Figure View Post
Saratoga clearly seems to get a bigger handle simply based on the name Saratoga! Race 5 today had a 4 horse field and the win pool was $460,649. Only two races at Del Mar had a higher handle over that 4 horse field. $549,997 Race 8 Del Mar with a 9 horse field and $689,774 Race 10 Del Mar with a 12 horse field. The 5 horse field for the Jim Dandy did $1,450,528 in the win pool. Clearly it doesn't matter what the field size or the track condition is for Saratoga! People are betting that track because of the name!
Saratoga has run 46 races with 6 betting interests or less in 13 days, Del Mar has run 5 races with 6 betting interests or less in 6 days but it doesn't matter to the bettors. Saratoga's handle is always going to be higher than Del Mar's.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2023, 12:48 AM   #9
The Arbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Figure View Post
Clearly it doesn't matter what the field size or the track condition is for Saratoga! People are betting that track because of the name!

And of course, that five-horse race at Saratoga also had superstar horses in it..
The Arbiter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2023, 07:49 AM   #10
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac View Post
Saratoga has run 46 races with 6 betting interests or less in 13 days, Del Mar has run 5 races with 6 betting interests or less in 6 days but it doesn't matter to the bettors. Saratoga's handle is always going to be higher than Del Mar's.
The per race handle for Saratoga in 2022 at about $2.1 million/race. Total Saratoga handle was $878 million over 417 races while Del Mar was $580 million over 31 dates. Assuming If 10 daily avg at Del Mar then per race is $1.87M. Del Mar did not include race count in its 2022 season end press release, NYRA did.

Last edited by alhattab; 07-30-2023 at 07:51 AM.
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2023, 08:32 AM   #11
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I admit I haven't looked at DM much this year. My original comment was more of a historical perspective.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2023, 10:46 AM   #12
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
And of course, that five-horse race at Saratoga also had superstar horses in it..
And of course, the home team owner got the decision despire bull riding and bumping at the wire.

Good ole boys.
Old 07-30-2023, 03:14 PM   #13
Pigpen

Saratoga small fields are driving me away.
Pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2023, 04:33 PM   #14
Cutter14

Saratoga draws the best trainers jockeys and horses year after year
Cutter14 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2023, 07:22 PM   #15
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigpen View Post
Saratoga small fields are driving me away.
At least you're not in Kinchon's cart!