Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.20 average.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:43 PM   #1591
Hambletonian

So they don't take down the winner in the feature, but do take down the winner in the finale on a ?jockey's objection?!!!!

I'm peeved, it was my only bet of the day, and while the horse came out a bit under left handed urging to get around the drifting pacesetter, Velazquez was whipping right handed for all he was worth and never stopped riding.

Considering the field had, what, one career start amongst them, I thought it was a pretty fair race. Velazquez was trying to keep the four pinned down behind the tiring pacesetter, Santana was trying to get some clearance. Both did exactly what you want your jockey to do.

If this is the standard, then any time a horse runs anything but straight as an arrow they should come down.

And I honestly can't recall the last time a jockey's objection alone resulted in a DQ. Oh well, there is always tomorrow.

Subjective rant complete
Hambletonian is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2018, 06:51 PM   #1592
Fightingirish51195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambletonian View Post
So they don't take down the winner in the feature, but do take down the winner in the finale on a ?jockey's objection?!!!!

I'm peeved, it was my only bet of the day, and while the horse came out a bit under left handed urging to get around the drifting pacesetter, Velazquez was whipping right handed for all he was worth and never stopped riding.

Considering the field had, what, one career start amongst them, I thought it was a pretty fair race. Velazquez was trying to keep the four pinned down behind the tiring pacesetter, Santana was trying to get some clearance. Both did exactly what you want your jockey to do.

If this is the standard, then any time a horse runs anything but straight as an arrow they should come down.

And I honestly can't recall the last time a jockey's objection alone resulted in a DQ. Oh well, there is always tomorrow.

Subjective rant complete
No takedown in the feature was the absolute correct call. Luis kept us horse straight. The other horse bumped into the rail completely by himself.

I think the last race could’ve gone either way. How is this one a takedown and the one from, I think the 5thr race isnt
Fightingirish51195 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2018, 07:07 PM   #1593
burnsy
self medicated

I had a good day today...…….but that was BS. Some boot licker from NYRA or OTB will stick up for that call. I love the joint, But that was another Saratoga home job...……..The other objections were worse and they take this down? You'll never see the 3 compared either! Give me an F'en break. I had it boxed, with the WP. Thank God I didn't have pics or double live. There's gonna be someone jumping off the Twin Bridges tonight! Total bull shit!

Just when I think the calls can't get worse, they do and its one of the two races I had today. I can take a valid foul.....but c'mon!

Last edited by burnsy; 07-26-2018 at 07:09 PM.
burnsy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2018, 07:17 PM   #1594
Hambletonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightingirish51195 View Post
No takedown in the feature was the absolute correct call. Luis kept us horse straight. The other horse bumped into the rail completely by himself.

I think the last race could’ve gone either way. How is this one a takedown and the one from, I think the 5thr race isnt
I agree with you on the feature, the horse wanted no part of the rail and was probably not going through either way.

I think Santana came down because of the left handed whipping and very close finish. And he was not in my opinion trying to discourage the horse outside of him as much as get clear of the drifting front runner.

If they had made contact and Velazquez had to stop riding, that is one thing. And they didn't post the Inquiry sign either.

I guess at the end of the day I would appreciate a little consistency. I have a hard time believing that if the last race was the Travers and not some cheap ass maiden race that the stewards would have made a similar call.
Hambletonian is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2018, 07:19 PM   #1595
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambletonian View Post
I agree with you on the feature, the horse wanted no part of the rail and was probably not going through either way.

I think Santana came down because of the left handed whipping and very close finish. And he was not in my opinion trying to discourage the horse outside of him as much as get clear of the drifting front runner.

If they had made contact and Velazquez had to stop riding, that is one thing. And they didn't post the Inquiry sign either.

I guess at the end of the day I would appreciate a little consistency. I have a hard time believing that if the last race was the Travers and not some cheap ass maiden race that the stewards would have made a similar call.
If the 2 wasn't in the picture we've seen that move over and over again at NYRA and it is never a DQ. We saw it today in race 5. Somehow, apparently, another horse drifting and sort of forcing you to move over is worse in the eyes of the stewards.

And, Pletcher/Ripole.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2018, 07:24 PM   #1596
burnsy
self medicated

3 objections today I think...…..and somehow that one worked. be ready for every one to bitch now,,,,,,,it worked! Over nothing!
Old 07-26-2018, 07:36 PM   #1597
Robert Fischer
clean money

tough call in the last race

Ricardo had to deal with the slowing/drifting pace-setter.

Johnny made a great ride and used the pace-setter without doing anything outright dangerous or fouling Santana in any palpable way.

Flip a coin. Technically DQ'able, but open to some interpretation.

DQ'able if compared relative to the rules.
Starkly inconsistent if compared relative to the 5th race.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:31 PM   #1598
bello
Veteran

Mike Watchmaker,
Watchmaker comments on DRF and he is dead on
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My opinionated comments on the unjustifiable dq in Saratoga's 10th race
This needs to go on the record.

The disqualification in Saratoga's 10th and final race today of first place finisher Super Simple for alleged interference with runner-up Guacamole was, frankly, a shocking and indefensible call by the NYRA stewards.

Head on video shots showed Super Simple barely coming out late in the stretch drive and barely brushing Guacamole, and that was only because the badly tiring pacesetter was drifting out, leaving Super Simple no other option but to take the course she did.

In a vacuum, the disqualification of Super Simple would have been an extremely controversial call that would have been extremely difficult to defend.

However, these matters do not take place in a vacuum. In today's fifth race at Saratoga, Brimstone drifted out five, six or seven paths through the stretch run (depending on your definition on what a path is), herding Top of the Page. Top of the Page was challenging for the lead at the time he was carried out by Brimstone, but his efforts fell short and he eventually and narrowly lost second money.

The NYRA stewards let the result in the fifth race stand. That was controversial enough, but it wound up making their decision in the 10th race all the more mystifying.

These decisions - allowing the more eggregious infraction in the fifth race stand, yet disqualifying the far weaker incident in the 10th race - are the definition of stewards's inconsistency, which is more than merely maddening to the horseplayer, the game's most critical customer base.

As a horseplayer myself, radically inconsistent decisions from the stewards's stand like this one make me question whether I'm getting a fair shake battling a game that is tough enough as it is. Imagine how less inveterate horseplayers than I feel.

Stuff like this can literally drive people right out of the game. And that's bad. Really bad.
bello is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2018, 08:34 PM   #1599
GMB@BP

stewards = horseman

few horseman care about bettors.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2018, 09:03 PM   #1600
bello
Veteran

I just applied

Steward (Hiring) - Earn $18-$25 per hour.
Adsteward.myjobhelper.com/▼
No Experience Required.
Entry level. · Apply now. · New jobs posted · Jobs with benefits.
bello is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2018, 09:26 PM   #1601
jefftune

I thought the 4 should have stayed up. Of course I had a win bet on her. Sorry folks around me at Sar when I dropped a f-bomb after the dq was announced.
jefftune is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2018, 08:09 AM   #1602
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftune View Post
I thought the 4 should have stayed up. Of course I had a win bet on her. Sorry folks around me at Sar when I dropped a f-bomb after the dq was announced.

I wouldn't worry about it. You were not the only one. I felt bad for complaining because I boxed the exacta. At least I cashed. But I lost money with that call besides the exacta I had win and place too on the . So, the chalk, with hometown connections got put up at Saratoga. Surprise , surprise. Like that's never happened before.....Oh wait, it has. I comment on it every year when it happens. The chart even says Johnny V was trying to keep that horse in and they barely brushed. Like Ricardo had a ton of choices there and for a maiden, which was the first one I bet this year, they were fairly running straight. Embarrassing.

I'm glad Watchmaker said something. Usually, the shift is put on to make it sound like people are bitching for nothing. Like I said. There were 3 objections, you'll never see them compared because that was the most innocent of the 3. He's right, I was thinking the same exact thing. I might not even go over there today and take the day off. I'll be back Saturday, but that felt like cheating.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:23 PM   #1603
GMB@BP

http://live.drf.com//nuggets/43960-s...areless-riding

Fines for these guys dont mean much, days would be much better deterrent.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2018, 05:37 PM   #1604
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
http://live.drf.com//nuggets/43960-s...areless-riding

Fines for these guys dont mean much, days would be much better deterrent.
$2,000 fine probably isn't much different than the winning jockey cut
(total $17,600 1st, $6,400 2nd)(RACE 5)

Then you have to think that the connections were very pleased with the ride, and in many cases happy to cover the cost as a show of appreciation. Picture day in the Winner's Circle. That horse also had a lot of smart money on him (think he was 8/1 ml and went off favored in WPS and multis - but to be clear, not a betting-coup per se, as the horse figured to be a win contender do to the situation)

May not have driven the message home...

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 07-27-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2018, 11:40 AM   #1605
burnsy
self medicated

So, Irad gets the fine but doesn't get taken down for a 7 path herd. Santana gets the same fine and gets taken down for 2 to 3 paths and a tiring horse in his face. That's a fair call, in what universe? Unbelievable.

Like I keep saying there will never be a comparative for consistency. Just random calls with no consequences to the Stewards. So, don't expect any improvements. Blind BS. And its funny how JV and Irad get the benefit of the doubt, but Santana does not. I've pointed this out so many times its hard to refute. Politics plays no part in this jurisdiction my ass. Give me a break.

I'm goin over in an hour or so......lets have a day without objections and nonsense. There have already been enough for an entire meet. Practically every day, multiple calls. Are the best Jocks really that dangerous? Or is this basketball now? A foul a minute? Close to utter incompetence and the so called "justice" handed down just makes it look worse.

Crap, for two grand who wouldn't take a horse out 7 paths to get away with it? They can't even do the math.