Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-20-2023, 02:12 PM   #16
VeryOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley View Post
Why not just move up the Saturday first race post starting time to accommodate the need to finish the Classic prior to the football kickoff?

Makes more sense to me to do that then to not finish the BC races with the Classic.
Shhh - you're making too much sense
VeryOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2023, 02:46 PM   #17
The_Turf_Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
What idiot came up with this "idea?"
I'm sure it came from a direct line of idiots that decided that 2 days of stakes races in one location was better for the health of the game than spreading it out over a dozen tracks on a dozen different weekends
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2023, 03:05 PM   #18
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post
I'm sure it came from a direct line of idiots that decided that 2 days of stakes races in one location was better for the health of the game than spreading it out over a dozen tracks on a dozen different weekends
That option sounds like chaos and disruptive to the many other established stakes races for various sexes, ages, and surfaces.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2023, 03:30 PM   #19
The_Turf_Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
That option sounds like chaos and disruptive to the many other established stakes races for various sexes, ages, and surfaces.
It's almost like those other established stakes races for various sexes, ages, and surfaces served a purpose like spreading out a dozen different stakes races to a dozen different tracks that through competition to have all gambling eyes at their track, kept the attention on the game for months instead of 2 days
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2023, 04:24 PM   #20
elhelmete

Quote:
It's almost like those other established stakes races for various sexes, ages, and surfaces served a purpose like spreading out a dozen different stakes races to a dozen different tracks that through competition to have all gambling eyes at their track, kept the attention on the game for months instead of 2 days
Yeah and doubling up on them by spreading out BC races throughout the year would cannibalize them. And depending on which track was chosen for which race (and what established stakes are running concurrently at established venues) I could see a lot of conflict there too.
Old 07-20-2023, 05:06 PM   #21
Publius

Maybe having the Classic earlier in the card will be a good thing.
Racing is not dead. There are billions of dollars wagered by millions
of gamblers. Racing needs to change with the times. That is a discussion
for another day. It's Saratoga Season so all is well for now.
Publius is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2023, 06:33 PM   #22
dilanesp

Quote:
Why not just move up the Saturday first race post starting time to accommodate the need to finish the Classic prior to the football kickoff?

Makes more sense to me to do that then to not finish the BC races with the Classic.
Santa Anita probably has something to say about starting race cards at 7:30am or something.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2023, 06:46 PM   #23
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Santa Anita probably has something to say about starting race cards at 7:30am or something.
Exactly.

Been to the BC at Santa and Del Mar, and they start at 9AM the way it is. We would roll in around 8ish and the Sun would barely be up.
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2023, 07:12 PM   #24
RunDustyRun

Quote:

Completely agree and that was my question .just because horse racing bows down to college football doesn't mean they couldn't still have the classic as the last race of the day...better yet reduce the time between bc races from 50 minutes to 35 and problem solved..truly idiotic decision but not surprised
RunDustyRun is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2023, 07:13 PM   #25
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunDustyRun View Post
Completely agree and that was my question .just because horse racing bows down to college football doesn't mean they couldn't still have the classic as the last race of the day...better yet reduce the time between bc races from 50 minutes to 35 and problem solved..truly idiotic decision but not surprised
How bout run the Classic as a half-time special event?
Old 07-20-2023, 07:18 PM   #26
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunDustyRun View Post
It is the sports biggest racing day of the year with the most $ on the line and most $ wagered. (Could be wrong, may well be the KY Derby).

Much like the 90 minutes leading into the KY Derby, they aren't cutting wagering time short on BC Saturday. Especially with P6/P5/P4 pools and the Classic.
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2023, 07:31 PM   #27
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Well, it is a breeder's cup, and they do breed idiots!
Cut the first 2 non BC races.
Old 07-20-2023, 07:44 PM   #28
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
It is the sports biggest racing day of the year with the most $ on the line and most $ wagered. (Could be wrong, may well be the KY Derby).

Much like the 90 minutes leading into the KY Derby, they aren't cutting wagering time short on BC Saturday. Especially with P6/P5/P4 pools and the Classic.
2023 Derby Day handle: $288.7 million
2022 Breeders Cup handle: Friday $66.1 million, Saturday $122.9 million

They're both huge events, just thought I would post it in case anyone was curious.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2023, 02:47 PM   #29
horsefan2019

The Kentucky Derby the biggest day in American horse racing, the Kentucky Derby is race 12 of 14. It is not the last race of the day. I don't see this as a big deal as for the exchange, they get 3.5 hours on the network NBC channel instead of only the 1 hour allocated to broadcast the BC Classic. The gamblers will stay after the BC Classic because the multi race wagers will be setup to include the final 2 races. Frankly I thought it was a wierd setup where one of the bigger weekends for a horse player were only given 1 hour of network airtime to broadcast the final race of the card. The way the Breeders Cup was given network airtime it made it seem like an afterthought after the Triple Crown races and more inline with a BC challenge race which usually gets an hour on network TV.

Last edited by horsefan2019; 07-22-2023 at 02:51 PM.
horsefan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2023, 06:35 PM   #30
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Well, it is a breeder's cup, and they do breed idiots!
Cut the first 2 non BC races.
Yep...The fact that two or three races are run prior to the first scheduled BC race is a head scratcher. Just get on with it...
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply