Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-20-2023, 11:09 AM   #76
RunDustyRun

Now do Stabile...
RunDustyRun is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2023, 01:29 PM   #77
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
Jim McKay talked too much as well.

As did Howard Cosell.

Love 'em or hate 'em I guess.

I honestly think the excessive talking has been increasing. I used to live in SoCal and listen to the Laker and Clipper games. If Chick Hearn of the Lakers was doing a simulcast, he would apologize to the TV audience for the excessive talking because the audio was used for the radio broadcast.

I sure wished radio and TV were in sync, if Romo was calling a game I would mute the TV and get the audio from one of the satellite radio feeds. The satellite radio is so far ahead of the broadcast TV it isn't funny. I can be in my shop listening and if the play sounded like a must watch, walk the 50 feet into the house and have plenty of time to catch the play.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2023, 01:34 PM   #78
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses View Post
Al Michaels is King, in my book.
I'd watch curling and checkers, if he was calling it.

Not sure if they ever showed checkers, but in the infancy of ESPN, I remember turning it on after the bars closed and they had grown men playing marbles in the dirt. I don't remember who was calling it.

I watch curling during the Olympics, just to laugh at how silly the sweepers look. Same with Australian rules football, the referees in their tuxedos signaling scores is comedy.
Old 05-20-2023, 04:09 PM   #79
horsefan2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
IMO, it was a foolish thing to say as a representative of a business that's trying to promote racing, especially when the industry has come under so much criticism in the recent years and is trying to improve its reputation. But a bit of what he said has been true, still is true, and probably will continue to be true. IMO, it would be really unfortunate if he lost his job for expressing an opinion most horseplayers would concede was somewhat accurate even if expressed poorly. I hope this ends with "lesson learned" and back to business. Enough of these job losses for a single moment of questionable judgement.

TVG is in the business of horse racing betting. Bringing up problems about the sport is bad for business. When the horses were breaking down at Santa Anita and the industry got hell for it from the local and national media, TVG did lip service about it. Thats fine, they had to protect their business, but they are not a channel where you are going to get journalists talking about the seedy side of the sport. My guess if they started to act more like a channel doing investigations the paddock would shut off all media access to them.
horsefan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2023, 06:02 PM   #80
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I honestly think the excessive talking has been increasing. I used to live in SoCal and listen to the Laker and Clipper games. If Chick Hearn of the Lakers was doing a simulcast, he would apologize to the TV audience for the excessive talking because the audio was used for the radio broadcast.

I sure wished radio and TV were in sync, if Romo was calling a game I would mute the TV and get the audio from one of the satellite radio feeds. The satellite radio is so far ahead of the broadcast TV it isn't funny. I can be in my shop listening and if the play sounded like a must watch, walk the 50 feet into the house and have plenty of time to catch the play.
You act like people don't like Romo talking and he wasn't told to keep doing what he's doing. Just so clueless.

Maybe your boy Vic can get a shot, he's a youthful go-getter who played touch football once.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2023, 10:09 AM   #81
Sheffwed

Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsefan2019 View Post
TVG is in the business of horse racing betting. Bringing up problems about the sport is bad for business. When the horses were breaking down at Santa Anita and the industry got hell for it from the local and national media, TVG did lip service about it. Thats fine, they had to protect their business, but they are not a channel where you are going to get journalists talking about the seedy side of the sport. My guess if they started to act more like a channel doing investigations the paddock would shut off all media access to them.
Yesterdat vindicated every word of Ken's tweet

TVG while doing some good things like featuring Andie and Caton, giving voice to women in a sport which badly needs more of that, gives Baffert cover all the time, so they are the problem, not him
Sheffwed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2023, 10:24 AM   #82
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffwed View Post
Yesterdat vindicated every word of Ken's tweet

TVG while doing some good things like featuring Andie and Caton, giving voice to women in a sport which badly needs more of that, gives Baffert cover all the time, so they are the problem, not him
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2023, 12:09 PM   #83
v j stauffer

I was hired full time by TVG in October of 1999.

At that time I was also seeking to be Tom Durkin's replacement at Gulfstream.

It was made very clear we were an ADW bet taker not a news organization.

I think TVG has done a decent job of addressing some of our sport's problems and unfortunate occurrences.

IMO they should be commended because unquestionably there's ZERO business upside.

No for profit entity should be forced or even expected to offer content that can only be a detriment to the bottom line.

It's so easy to knock TVG. Especially their on air hosts. They have opinions which is the foundation of our sport. Naturally that will cause us to disagree and suggest they're idiots.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. In fact I find it fun. And been on both sides.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that before TVG how did we get our race results?

For me it was waiting for KNX to broadcast the stretch call (replay) once every half hour.

Or wait until the races had ended to listen to Danny Baxter or Jay Richards re-create the days card that evening on the mighty 690 out of Tijuana.

Or tape the Sam Spear show and watch them all rapid fire that night.

I do not for the life of me understand why so many people hate TVG.

They truly changed the face of racing and IMO continue to present quality content.

60 minutes they are not and it's unfair and ridiculous to expect them to be.

JOMHO
Old 05-21-2023, 12:19 PM   #84
Cutter14

Vic I value your opinion highly--but for me It's RTN--Mute has been my way of watching them in the past, and their endless sports betting ads put the final nail in the coffin for me
Cutter14 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2023, 12:27 PM   #85
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter14 View Post
Vic I value your opinion highly--but for me It's RTN--Mute has been my way of watching them in the past, and their endless sports betting ads put the final nail in the coffin for me
I have ZERO problem with that. RTN is a terrific product and option.
Old 05-21-2023, 12:46 PM   #86
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
You act like people don't like Romo talking and he wasn't told to keep doing what he's doing. Just so clueless.

Maybe your boy Vic can get a shot, he's a youthful go-getter who played touch football once.

What is with your constant nasty comments to my opinions? I have a right to my opinion, whether someone likes an announcer or not is personal preference. I suppose you bad mouth people who don't like the same pizza toppings you do. Glad you can be yourself on the internet.
Old 05-21-2023, 01:13 PM   #87
RayT
Veteran

Quote:
What is with your constant nasty comments to my opinions? I have a right to my opinion, whether someone likes an announcer or not is personal preference. I suppose you bad mouth people who don't like the same pizza toppings you do. Glad you can be yourself on the internet.
Self awareness is not your strong point big guy.
RayT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2023, 01:24 PM   #88
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
It should be obvious to you by now that some can't separate off-topic from the horse racing threads, and allow their personal dislike of you on off-topic to spill over here.

I, on the other hand, am only nasty to people on the horse racing threads when they are assholes on the horse racing threads and usually, about to be banned...
Old 05-21-2023, 02:07 PM   #89
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
It should be obvious to you by now that some can't separate off-topic from the horse racing threads, and allow their personal dislike of you on off-topic to spill over here.

I, on the other hand, am only nasty to people on the horse racing threads when they are assholes on the horse racing threads and usually, about to be banned...

I am well aware of that as it happened a lot on a machinist form. I recognized the names when I had people crapping on my good advice to novices. The thing is here I am pulling snarky comments from people who are never seen in off topic. I am pretty sure I never said anything in the horse racing section that should create enemies. Could it be that people are using two sign ins and have a separate I.D. for off topic? It is obvious people have changed screen names as we have newbies that seem to know things that happened ages ago.
Old 05-21-2023, 02:10 PM   #90
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayT View Post
Self awareness is not your strong point big guy.

Enlighten me, why should someone's opinion of announcers draw someone's ire? To each his own on that subject, like what pizza toppings someone likes.