Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-23-2022, 11:58 AM   #1
mountainman

Bathroom Flooring

Some wholesale flooring dude I'm acquainted with straight up ADMONISHED me for even considering tile in the new house we break ground for in June. He strongly recommends some stuff called "luxury vinyl tile" (for the bathrooms and laundry room).

"This is not your mom's kitchen floor," he assured me, but instead a greatly evolved product that's attractive, impervious to water, incredibly durable, and far less expensive than, say, porcelain tile.

My sister, however, quite the old school arbiter of taste, as well as my primary consultant on such matters, scoffs at the very notion of vinyl, while insisting that real tile is not ALL that expensive. Except, perhaps, for the installation.

Has anybody been down this road? Would welcome some input.

Last edited by mountainman; 05-23-2022 at 12:03 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2022, 01:07 PM   #2
Bustin Stones

I assume she means by real tile, ceramic tile. Ceramic tile is considered higher end than any vinyl product. Vinyl costs less but can dent and scuff.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2022, 01:20 PM   #3
Inner Dirt

Ceramic tile is cheap to buy and really not hard for a do it yourselfer, unless of course you are like me with a bad back, bad shoulders and bad knees. I don't keep pictures, but I tiled a whole house and built two custom showers

out of tile with no previous experience. Just go look at the prices yourself on Home Depot or Lowes websites.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2022, 01:46 PM   #4
mountainman

TX, guys...she is pushing for porcelain..rather than ceramic.
Old 05-23-2022, 01:52 PM   #5
Bustin Stones

Porcelain is even higher end than ceramic and tougher. You need a diamond blade just to cut it to size.
Old 05-23-2022, 01:59 PM   #6
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Stones View Post
Porcelain is even higher end than ceramic and tougher. You need a diamond blade just to cut it to size.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-7-...S722/205049842

These will work fine for a DIY tile guy, only $149.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 05-23-2022 at 02:04 PM.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2022, 02:02 PM   #7
lamboguy

i like porcelin better as well. like wine, tile is a pretty blind item.. you can go to home depot and pick up as good a tile as you can anywhere else.

just remember, at Home Depot and Lowes they give a 10 % military discount and also discount up to 30% for contractors. there are lots of thing that you can buy in Home Depot that have good quality to them including hot water heaters now and other plumbing... i would stay away from them for cabinets and counter tops, maybe lighting. but they carry a lot of good stuff.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2022, 02:06 PM   #8
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
i like porcelin better as well. like wine, tile is a pretty blind item.. you can go to home depot and pick up as good a tile as you can anywhere else.

just remember, at Home Depot and Lowes they give a 10 % military discount and also discount up to 30% for contractors. there are lots of thing that you can buy in Home Depot that have good quality to them including hot water heaters now and other plumbing... i would stay away from them for cabinets and counter tops, maybe lighting. but they carry a lot of good stuff.
Porcelain is not the same everywhere. Big box stores often sell tile that is not as dimensionally the same from one box to the next. Be careful with that aspect of quality.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2022, 02:12 PM   #9
elysiantraveller

Composite vinyl flooring has really come a long way and provided a really good cheaper alternative than traditional tile flooring.

That said in a area like a bathroom I'd be much more concerned employing it because you have no way of knowing what's going on underneath it and unlike tile it isn't sealed.

I have real stone tile throughout most of my house and actual hardwood everywhere else. It I had to redo a room like a common area I'd give vinyl a look but a bathroom really should be something that moisture can't get under.
Old 05-23-2022, 04:15 PM   #10
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Composite vinyl flooring has really come a long way and provided a really good cheaper alternative than traditional tile flooring.

That said in a area like a bathroom I'd be much more concerned employing it because you have no way of knowing what's going on underneath it and unlike tile it isn't sealed.

I have real stone tile throughout most of my house and actual hardwood everywhere else. It I had to redo a room like a common area I'd give vinyl a look but a bathroom really should be something that moisture can't get under.
2nd

My new house has tile 80% and some carpet. But that carpet will probably go away for a mixture of the new vinyl and matching tile in the future. I had some of this new vinyl in my old house and was very happy and impressed with durability.

Our rescue dogs are hard on vinyl but we suffered almost nothing in damage. And repairs were very easy. Mostly coloring, and that’s very easy to repair
Old 05-23-2022, 04:32 PM   #11
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
Porcelain is not the same everywhere. Big box stores often sell tile that is not as dimensionally the same from one box to the next. Be careful with that aspect of quality.
i think i just said that. Home Depot has different priced items, depending upon quality. but you can get top quality at Home Depot. the salesman that sells you the tile there probably isn't as good as the guy that sells at a tile only store.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2022, 06:59 PM   #12
tbwinner

Don't do vinyl especially if they're pushing cost as a main argument. It will be cheap and not last. Exposure to water and humidity from the bath will warp it and it will lose its luster. Porcelain or ceramic is way to go. It's not that expensive.
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2022, 09:18 PM   #13
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
i think i just said that. Home Depot has different priced items, depending upon quality. but you can get top quality at Home Depot. the salesman that sells you the tile there probably isn't as good as the guy that sells at a tile only store.
As a guy who dropped some serious change on $7 a Sq ft tile I can attest you can buy some pretty decent shit at Home Depot.

That said... its a bathroom. Don't cut corners there. You can cost-save in other areas.

It's the one room in house you literally have to use.
Old 05-25-2022, 11:17 AM   #14
mountainman

Tx, guys, for all the good advice. Tile it is.

Just be prepared to send food..lol. My wife and I have vowed to fund this entire project with cash-what good, after all, to construct a comfortable home for our mildly autistic son and then doom him to someday cover the remaining mortgage?
Old 05-25-2022, 01:10 PM   #15
Bustin Stones

I was looking through Chrome extensions and found one titled "XLS Editor".

The definition of this extension is......

XLS Editor is an extension that allows to create, edit and view any Microsoft Excel document in both XLS and XLSX format. It also handles the standard Open Office format ODS. It is an integration with LibreOffice Online and a file manager.

So, this may be the tool you need to convert Open Office spreadsheets to Excel.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: