Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:08 PM   #16
Ocala Mike

OK, a corrolary (sp?) for all the aging ex-athletes on here.

With no practice toss, if you were on a major league pitcher's mound with 60K people in the stands, how sure are you that you could throw a "first pitch" type toss to a major league catcher behind the plate with your foot on the rubber WITHOUT it hitting the dirt or sailing over his head or where he couldn't catch it (doesn't have to be a strike)?

I bet everyone is 100% certain that they could do it, but I bet not more than 50/100 of us could. Just sayin'.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2016, 03:42 PM   #17
Rookies
Canadian since 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike

With no practice toss, if you were on a major league pitcher's mound with 60K people in the stands, how sure are you that you could throw a "first pitch" type toss to a major league catcher behind the plate with your foot on the rubber WITHOUT it hitting the dirt or sailing over his head or where he couldn't catch it (doesn't have to be a strike)?

I bet everyone is 100% certain that they could do it, but I bet not more than 50/100 of us could. Just sayin'.
100%

(Used to be a Pitcher)
Rookies is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2016, 03:48 PM   #18
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:

That's a good one. Granted I was more into hockey by a large margin, but always played baseball up until high school and though I was a pretty lousy hitter, I could throw the ball. I could launch a throw and put it right where I wanted from almost anywhere on a (small) field.

I'm horrible now. I throw the ball to the dogs four, five, six times a day and usually use one of those jai-alai looking scoops to make it worth their while. No range, no accuracy, and my elbow chronically feels like it's been riding in the washing machine for hours.

I'd like to think that I could sail a 60 mph floater where I wanted off the mound still, but I'm pretty sure I'd just shatter an ankle or lose my entire arm at the shoulder within nanomilliseconds of it leaving my hand.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2016, 03:50 PM   #19
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost
Free Throws: 100; no wait, were you asking how many I would make or how many I would miss?
Bowling: While in the army-in Korea I bowled several times a week; was pretty good with many games over 250. Came home, bowled once and never bowled again. Might make it into the fifties if I'm lucky.
100 yard dash: I'm heading over to the local high school now to run 100 yards on their track. When I get back on Monday, I will let you know how long it took.
It doesn't take much to pick bowling back up. I think lanes are easier now than ever. I was a pretty regular bowler during my Air Force days and once averaged 225 and won the Cheyenne City title. I bowled one league after I retired, was bored as hell and haven't done it since. I've bowled a few games here and there, maybe three times in the last six or seven years and usually average around 200. You don't really forget how to bowl. I'm sure if I updated my equipment the scores would rise.

As for the 100, are you going to tell us how fast you ran or how long it took to get back?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2016, 03:52 PM   #20
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:

Same here, 100%, but it wouldn't be traveling near as fast as it would have 20 years ago. Still throw a ball around now and then so no worries
Old 02-04-2016, 03:53 PM   #21
Marshall Bennett

Free throws : 25-30%

Bowling : 160 (once averaged 190 but been a lot of years)

Running : Haven't a clue. Depends who's chasing me.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2016, 03:57 PM   #22
DRIVEWAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
It doesn't take much to pick bowling back up. I think lanes are easier now than ever. I was a pretty regular bowler during my Air Force days and once averaged 225 and won the Cheyenne City title. I bowled one league after I retired, was bored as hell and haven't done it since. I've bowled a few games here and there, maybe three times in the last six or seven years and usually average around 200. You don't really forget how to bowl. I'm sure if I updated my equipment the scores would rise.

As for the 100, are you going to tell us how fast you ran or how long it took to get back?
Prior to 1997 there were zero 900 series. Personally, I thought no one would ever do it. However, since 1997 there have been 25+ 900 series.

Poly lanes and bowling balls have impacted these results.
DRIVEWAY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2016, 05:54 PM   #23
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj

I meant if I start today, I will still be running on Monday.
As for the bowling, I had a lot of friends who bowled in the army. When I got home, none of my friends were bowlers. I'm sure I would remember how to bowl. The problem is doing it; bad knees, bad hands, bad back.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:46 PM   #24
proximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I should add the 12 seconds is with a 30 foot run up, otherwise 12.5.
just a guess, but that's probably about a 13.6 100m which would be a top 500 time last year for the age. so that's pretty good.

top times are very humbling though but not as humbling when you see some of the names.

https://www.mastersrankings.com/rank...door&year=2015
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2016, 08:13 PM   #25
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by proximity
just a guess, but that's probably about a 13.6 100m which would be a top 500 time last year for the age. so that's pretty good.

top times are very humbling though but not as humbling when you see some of the names.

https://www.mastersrankings.com/rank...door&year=2015
Last year I was in Belgium I ran a 13 second 100M...hoping I've only lost a half second in 7 years! Probably wishful thinking but I can run for a big guy.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:30 PM   #26
ManU918

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Last year I was in Belgium I ran a 13 second 100M...hoping I've only lost a half second in 7 years! Probably wishful thinking but I can run for a big guy.
CJ knows all... The PA version of Bo Jackson...
ManU918 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2016, 08:47 PM   #27
proximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
what surprised me about those charts was how many 30+ year old women beat willie gault's 11.17 last year. there musta been seven or eight of them!!
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2016, 09:13 PM   #28
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManU918
CJ knows all... The PA version of Bo Jackson...
Trust me, I'm terrible at plenty of stuff. I was never very good at volleyball. I can't do anything that involves anything other than shoes on my feet...skiing, skating (ice or roller), surfing, etc...comes immediately to mind. Like, near death experiences. I'm even afraid to try curling. I was good at 10 pin bowling, but duckpins, forget it. Never could jump very well even in my younger days. I tend to move on from things I'm not good at doing, other than moderating this site for some reason!
Old 02-04-2016, 09:22 PM   #29
kingfin66
Bombardier

How about push ups? If someone asked you to drop down and give them 100 could you do it? I just tested this. The answer is a resounding NO. I got 43. Was hoping for my age (50).
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2016, 09:28 PM   #30
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66
How about push ups? If someone asked you to drop down and give them 100 could you do it? I just tested this. The answer is a resounding NO. I got 43. Was hoping for my age (50).
Nope, not a chance at 100. 50? Probably not, it would be a struggle if I made it.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: