Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-19-2012, 12:39 AM   #121
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
but there's no way to respect someone who is so utterly uninformed as to think that the only reason to support him as president is the color of his skin... That describes an unfortunately high number of Americans
FTFY.
Works both ways.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #122
Moniker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
FTFY.
Works both ways.
If you're referring to the fact that he received such a high percentage of the black vote, only a small portion of that can be attributed to the color of his skin. I believe I said earlier in this thread, or maybe another, that near every democratic candidate for decades has received an overwhelming majority of the black vote. Is that a result of democratic entitlement policies? In part, at least. Could it be because of the republican party's "rich white man" image? Also likely. But it certainly isn't a result of every democratic candidate having the same skin color as these black voters. (since they don't)
Moniker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #123
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

So you say his color was not the only factor for many Blacks?
Old 11-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #124
Moniker

For many, I would say no. But presumably for some. The figure was something like 94% no? Well as I'm aware democratic candidates previous to Obama usually received anywhere between 75%-90% of the black vote. So while the amount he received was exceptionally high I'd say the majority was a result of party affiliation, not race. Again, a majority, not all of it. So yes, he did receive black votes based on his skin, but not as many as he did by being a democrat.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #125
Steve R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moniker
"I'm guessing not many actually voted for Obama on his record. I think enough voted against the Romney/Ryan platform to carry the day. And Afro-Americans voted for him primarily because he is black. I'm sure many whites also voted for Romney because Obama is black."
- Originally posted by Steve R
The majority of democratic candidates for the past few decades have received upwards of 75% of the african american vote.
96% is not 75% or anywhere close to it. I think if Obama was white Romney might have won.
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #126
Moniker

75% is just a rough lower end. Many of these dems are well into the 80s. I apologize for being so vague, I don't have the liberty to google the actual numbers, but the votes Obama received weren't exponentially higher than the average.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #127
dartman51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moniker
75% is just a rough lower end. Many of these dems are well into the 80s. I apologize for being so vague, I don't have the liberty to google the actual numbers, but the votes Obama received weren't exponentially higher than the average.

What you are not taking into account, is the number of black voters that registered and voted for the first time in 2008, because Obama was black. Many, if not most, of those voters, voted again in 2012. These are voters that have never gotten excited about a white Democrat. I'm not saying that they are racist, just that a white Democrat never got them enthusiastic about politics, enough to vote. jmho.
dartman51 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #128
Moniker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartman51
What you are not taking into account, is the number of black voters that registered and voted for the first time in 2008, because Obama was black. Many, if not most, of those voters, voted again in 2012. These are voters that have never gotten excited about a white Democrat. I'm not saying that they are racist, just that a white Democrat never got them enthusiastic about politics, enough to vote. jmho.
Sounds like speculation, but you very well may be right about that. When speaking solely on percentage an extra 10%-15% seems like small potatoes, but in reality the number that percentage is being taken from may be much higher. You make a very good argument, can you fact check it to see if the number of registered black voters did indeed increase?
Old 11-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #129
Ocala Mike

This is why you lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph

Any Repub who goes along with Obama on anything will face destruction from the Tea Party. End of story

And there is a school of thought that predicts the destruction of the entire Republican Party if they continue to gravitate to the Tea Party. Most on the left are cheerleading the prospect of the GOP's fear of the TP'ers.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #130
Capper Al

I suffered from attention deficit on Saturday. I was messing with a superfect ticket in the last race while the odds on winner that I wanted went up. Had I kept my eye on the tote-board, I would have won about $50.00 for the day instead of losing $6.00. I think the same thing happend to Romney.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Last edited by Capper Al; 11-19-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #131
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike
And there is a school of thought that predicts the destruction of the entire Republican Party if they continue to gravitate to the Tea Party. Most on the left are cheerleading the prospect of the GOP's fear of the TP'ers.
It's possible that the Tea Party may take over the Repub party. should be interesting.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2012, 07:07 PM   #132
lsbets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
It's possible that the Tea Party may take over the Repub party. should be interesting.
The tea party was taken over by the social conservatives a long time ago. It was once a small government movement, now its the social conservatives rebranded.
lsbets is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #133
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbets
The tea party was taken over by the social conservatives a long time ago. It was once a small government movement, now its the social conservatives rebranded.
Agreed...

Today, Marco Rubio, everyone's top choice for the Republican nomination, is wondering why we can't just teach evolution and creationism side by side. That the earth could be just a few thousand years old or 4.5 billion... he isn't sure...

Oh brother...
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #134
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller
Agreed...

Today, Marco Rubio, everyone's top choice for the Republican nomination, is wondering why we can't just teach evolution and creationism side by side. That the earth could be just a few thousand years old or 4.5 billion... he isn't sure...

Oh brother...
Why does this even have to be an issue? Why is he talking about this? It's nothing but a distraction. A distraction that doesn't have a thing to do with running this country on a day to day basis.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #135
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R
I think if Obama was white Romney might have won.
If Romney were also Christian, then, maybe.
TJDave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply