Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-08-2015, 12:15 PM   #1
delayjf

Great Horseracing Site - Historical

Stumbled on this site the other day and just love it. Provides a lot of historical information and pictures of many US racetracks that are currently in operation and that have closed. I got a kick out of going thru the Massachusetts section which included the Massachusetts State fair circuit. If you’re into horse racing history at all you will love this site as well. Enjoy

http://www.horseracing-tracks.com/tracks/sindex.htm
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2015, 12:41 PM   #2
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayjf
Stumbled on this site the other day and just love it. Provides a lot of historical information and pictures of many US racetracks that are currently in operation and that have closed. I got a kick out of going thru the Massachusetts section which included the Massachusetts State fair circuit. If you’re into horse racing history at all you will love this site as well. Enjoy

I looked at New York...There is a track missing.
It opened as Parr Meadows, a quarterhorse track off exit 70 on the Long Island Expressway.
Being that far from the more heavily populated western end of Long Island and of course NYC, crowds were small as was handle. I think the track changed owners a few times. it was called Suffolk Meadows before it met its demise.
As much as I can't stand wiki...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suffolk_Meadows
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2015, 12:43 PM   #3
Greyfox

Interesting site.
Thank you for posting that delayjf.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2015, 02:06 PM   #4
delayjf

Quote:
I looked at New York...There is a track missing.
It opened as Parr Meadows, a quarterhorse track off exit 70 on the Long Island Expressway.
Being that far from the more heavily populated western end of Long Island and of course NYC, crowds were small as was handle. I think the track changed owners a few times. it was called Suffolk Meadows before it met its demise.
As much as I can't stand wiki...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suffolk_Meadows
You should email him regarding Suffolk Meadows. He openly solicits comments.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:23 PM   #5
LottaKash

Quote:

Thanks for the link "delayjf"...

Down memory lane for me....I have been to so many of those places...The photo's and such, are a treasure chest for those who still have the passion for, and the memories of, those places..
Old 05-08-2015, 02:55 PM   #6
johnhannibalsmith

Cool indeed... enjoyed looking at the old Prescott Downs program in the AZ section and seeing some familiar names... including Eddie-O Tellez riding a two-feeefty for one Robert Baffert.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2015, 03:20 PM   #7
HalvOnHorseracing

If you want to read an interesting story about the match race between Mollie Mc Carthy and Ten Broeck, it is at http://halveyonhorseracing.com/?p=1553

It is about the last of the great four-milers and the race that put CD on the map. Lots of history about the opening of CD and some interesting characters - Meriwether Lewis Clark, Lucky Baldwin

Worth a read
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2015, 03:49 PM   #8
jahura2

Quote:

Awesome link delayjf. You helped me waste away a slow Friday afternoon at work!
jahura2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2015, 05:58 PM   #9
delayjf

Same here, the more I dug the more I could stop exploring. I'm a nostagic fool. This got me thru to happy hour.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:53 PM   #10
RaceBookJoe

Thanks for that link. I loved Berkshire and Great Barrington when I went there as a kid. That story on Thunder Ridge in the KY section always makes me chuckle when I read it.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:09 PM   #11
Cratos

Quote:

A great link that provides some very useful and interesting information; both DRF and Equibase should have this info on their websites

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2015, 07:55 PM   #12
happy camper

I never knew they had harness racing at AC Racecourse.
happy camper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2015, 08:00 PM   #13
happy camper

Oh, and thank you for introducing me to this site!
happy camper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2015, 08:09 PM   #14
elhelmete

Great stuff!

Just saw that a horse named OXBOW won the first TB race ever in VT (Green Mtn).
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2015, 08:41 PM   #15
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Hate to be a party pooper, but it is full of inaccuracies. For example, he says the Travers is the oldest stakes race in N. America. That honor actually belongs to the Phoenix at Keeneland and oldest continuously run is the Queen's Plate. Then he confuses Coney Island the place with the Coney Island Jockey Club (whose courses were not on Coney Island). That is just the beginning of the NY bit. Could be really good but needs to research facts. Wikipedia is more accurate and that is sad.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply