Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-16-2023, 07:39 AM   #1
PalaceOfFortLarned

2023 Breeders Cup Classic

Looks to be as wide open a Classic as we've seen in some time.

3 year olds look to be really solid and likely the 3YO of the year, and very likely Horse of The Year may well be on the line if a 3YO does indeed win it. Arcangelo with his Belmont and Travers wins is the leader in the clubhouse, but this is probably going to be a deep and tough field.

Probables as of now:

Arcangelo
Mage
Geaux Rocket Ride
Forte
Proxy
Zandon
White Abarrio
Arabian Knight
Ushba Tesoro
Bright Future

Possibles:
Charge it
Defunded

Could this also be the year a Japanese horse breaks through with Ushba Tesoro? Less than 50 days away, this one should be a dandy.
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2023, 11:31 AM   #2
PalaceOfFortLarned

No, we don't have a superstar like Flightline, or Knicks Go, or Gun Runner, or Arrogate, or American Pharoah, or Zenyatta, or Ghostzapper, or Curlin.

What we do have though, is an extremely wide open field full of question marks and a great wagering opportunity.

Is Arcangelo really the best 3YO and best horse in training right now?

Is Arabian Knight rounding into form and ready to step up on the biggest of stages. Was Geaux Rocket Ride fully cranked in the Pac Classic, and due to reverse form on AK?

Can White Abarrio get 10 panels, and wouldn't it be an amazing story with Dutrow training him to a win?

Will a Japanese horse step to the forefront? Derma Sotogake is getting a 2nd chance, and Ushba Tesoro rolls in off 6 straight wins including 2 against G1 company.

Looks like Mage will take a shot, Zandon isn't without a shot, and Bright Future could be really good.

And oh yeah, that Forte horse may run as well.

Should be a dandy.

Last edited by PalaceOfFortLarned; 10-09-2023 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-09-2023, 12:00 PM   #3
bisket

Watching how Javy handled Arcangelo on the backstretch in the Travers says a lot about the ability the horse might have. Javy had inside position and 2nd place leaving the first turn. Lol he dropped off the pace a few lengths goes 4 wide on the turn, passes the field, changes leads and it’s over… Javy rode him every breeze prior to the race. That’s a jock that thinks he’s on a Ferrari racing a field of Pintos. I think Geaux Rocket Ride moves forward off the PAC Classic, and White Abarrio figures as well. That’s only off their last races, and not knowing how they’re coming into the race. At this point that’s a good trifecta or exacta.

https://youtu.be/jidTk3vhUME?si=lhG2Zijt4svBdaf4
bisket is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2023, 12:48 PM   #4
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisket View Post
Watching how Javy handled Arcangelo on the backstretch in the Travers says a lot about the ability the horse might have. Javy had inside position and 2nd place leaving the first turn. Lol he dropped off the pace a few lengths goes 4 wide on the turn, passes the field, changes leads and it’s over… Javy rode him every breeze prior to the race. That’s a jock that thinks he’s on a Ferrari racing a field of Pintos. I think Geaux Rocket Ride moves forward off the PAC Classic, and White Abarrio figures as well. That’s only off their last races, and not knowing how they’re coming into the race. At this point that’s a good trifecta or exacta.

https://youtu.be/jidTk3vhUME?si=lhG2Zijt4svBdaf4
That was a strong race for Arcangelo, and he ran lights out.

Disarm was tracking him down though. Rest of the field didn't run for crap, so I'm not 100% sold on that win. Probably my favorite horse this year as I had him in the Belmont and Travers, but a ship West is gonna be a tough task for him.
Old 10-09-2023, 02:19 PM   #5
Pigpen

Going to be a great edition of the BCC this year. I don't know but I may look at an animal from across the (western) pond.
Pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2023, 09:43 PM   #6
CheckMark

Does anyone know the date of when the Advance PP’s will come out for the Breeders Cup this year? I figure it’s usually the last 2 weeks of October they will start to roll out.

Just didn’t know if anyone had any exact dates that they might have heard of the 2023 editions. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-10-2023, 09:50 PM   #7
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMark View Post
Does anyone know the date of when the Advance PP’s will come out for the Breeders Cup this year? I figure it’s usually the last 2 weeks of October they will start to roll out.

Just didn’t know if anyone had any exact dates that they might have heard of the 2023 editions. Thanks in advance.
They always come out the Wednesday the week before the BC, which would be 10/25 this year.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-11-2023, 09:34 AM   #8
LemonSoupKid

I had Arrogate when he won off of a similar trajectory in 2016 at SA, so I'll definitely be checking Arcangelo out, especially since I had him the last two times. This is shaping up to be a great race, of course. Bizarre that they are moving it up in time to accommodate college football though, ha.

I'll see y'all there!
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-11-2023, 10:14 AM   #9
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
Will a Japanese horse step to the forefront? Derma Sotogake is getting a 2nd chance
I still think Derma Sotogake is a very talented horse, but I'm not a believer in training up to the Classic off a long layoff. Had they gotten a good prep into him, I probably would have used him against a "meh" Classic field like this. As is, if the price is large enough maybe he'll be on a few "sanity" tickets, but it will be tough to make him an "A".

I haven't looked at Ushba Tesoro's PPs or watched his races yet, but he almost has to at least fit with this group.

I'm not impressed by this field at all.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 10-11-2023 at 10:17 AM.
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-11-2023, 12:31 PM   #10
bisket

I’m wondering if Practical Move will make the race. He won an allowance by 4 lengths last weekend. I rate him alongside Geaux Rocket Ride. I can’t remember which derby prep it was but it was Rocket’s second race. Practical Move already had 5 races under his belt. At the top of the stretch Move cut the turn and got an inside run. Rocket had to maneuver past the fading pacesetter and lost a few lengths. They set a new 3 year best. I was most impressed with Rocket because he lost a few lengths at the top of the stretch, and finished a length off a 3 year best time in his second race. That was why I like him in the Haskell. I can see Practical Move with double digit odds and might be a nice addition to a trifecta box.
bisket is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2023, 02:53 PM   #11
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
They always come out the Wednesday the week before the BC, which would be 10/25 this year.
Thanks, Andy.

I figured they would fall on the same day every year, just with my brain wrapped around school, I forgot which day it was lol.
Old 10-14-2023, 12:21 AM   #12
Robert Fischer
clean money

this is not a 'superhorse' year,
do feel excitement brewing.

Some of these races (possible including the Classic) should be interesting to handicap.
Old 10-14-2023, 12:39 AM   #13
TMQ
Longacres transplant

It's a shame the best 3 year old isn't going to be in the race. Or any future race for that matter
TMQ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2023, 01:59 PM   #14
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Surely Forte isn't running at this point you have to think. No works since the Travers.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2023, 07:16 PM   #15
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Surely Forte isn't running at this point you have to think. No works since the Travers.
I'm fairly certain in the article that Grening wrote about him, Pletcher said 10/14 was when he had to work in order to have a chance to be ready. Well, here we are.

I'm with you. He was likely never actually making the race.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply