Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-10-2019, 11:15 PM   #166
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Probably the best of the lesser known candidates...
Best for which side?

I have seen nothing to indicate that she is anything but a Dem good soldier, supporting the party line. She apparently helps get a lot of little bills passed that are in line with party dogma, but nothing with any major impact on anything. Maybe I'm missing something there.

She just appears to be too middle of the road, middle class, middle American for the current crop of Dems as they march further and further left.

A big reason that Trump won was that Hillary could not fire up the Dem base to get out and contribute and vote. I don't see Amy doing any better.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:20 PM   #167
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post

Love it.

More substance towards GOP 2020.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-10-2019, 11:20 PM   #168
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
Best for which side?

I have seen nothing to indicate that she is anything but a Dem good soldier, supporting the party line. She apparently helps get a lot of little bills passed that are in line with party dogma, but nothing with any major impact on anything. Maybe I'm missing something there.

She just appears to be too middle of the road, middle class, middle American for the current crop of Dems as they march further and further left.

A big reason that Trump won was that Hillary could not fire up the Dem base to get out and contribute and vote. I don't see Amy doing any better.
She is more centrist than the left wing-bats and would get more independents and republicans that would go out of their way to vote for someone like Sanders or Warren.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-10-2019, 11:32 PM   #169
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
She is more centrist than the left wing-bats and would get more independents and republicans that would go out of their way to vote for someone like Sanders or Warren.
This is true, but the degree to which she could get independent and Republicans depends on who the GOP candidate is.

Which is to say that she would do better against Trump than against Pence. But she definitely needs help on the PR stuff.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:26 AM   #170
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Best for which side?

She's got you fooled too...

Its the perk of that Midwest Appeal. She's certainly to the left of both Biden and Hillary '16. One thing that is a bit interesting to me so far is we have the Corporatist (read centrist) Democrats staking out ground pretty far to the left and planting their flags. People like Harris and Booker.

One of Klobuchar's big perks though is she can run somewhat to the center early due to Primary states like Iowa and New Hampshire being very friendly to her brand of politics.

Everything I said about her applies to Sherrod Brown as well. In terms of mobilizing the base I think Trump has done a good enough job of unifying the Democrats in general.

Brown and Klobuchar just have the ability to run pretty far left while speaking "Midwestern". Both of these two candidates have to "catch fire in a bottle" early in actual primary voting but if they do they can basically autopilot it to a Nomination.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:03 PM   #171
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
She's got you fooled too...
I just haven't seen any evidence that she has any strong beliefs in anything other than supporting the standard Dem party line. I agree she can run anywhere from center to pretty far left, because I'm not aware that she has shown her position on that spectrum.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:09 PM   #172
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
I just haven't seen any evidence that she has any strong beliefs in anything other than supporting the standard Dem party line. I agree she can run anywhere from center to pretty far left, because I'm not aware that she has shown her position on that spectrum.
Usually, when a politician is all over the place (like Trump for instance), some on here are highly critical of this sort of thing.

But here, with Klobber, those same people are treating it with kid gloves, and even, if I'm reading it correctly, counting it as a positive.

Interesting...
Old 02-11-2019, 12:19 PM   #173
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Usually, when a politician is all over the place (like Trump for instance), some on here are highly critical of this sort of thing.

But here, with Klobber, those same people are treating it with kid gloves, and even, if I'm reading it correctly, counting it as a positive.

Interesting...
I'm saying that it is a political positive for the purpose of getting the Dem nomination, not a positive for the country or the voters at large. I'm not treating it with kid gloves, I'm saying that I don't know where she stands other than being a good little soldier in the Dem army. It could be a good strategy for her to project an image that doesn't define her well, but doesn't offend anyone on the left.

It was a political positive for Trump too.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:47 PM   #174
elysiantraveller

What does Amy Klobuchar believe? Where the candidate stands on 5 issues

She is for UHC... and is pretty far on the left spectrum. At least compared to someone like Obama, Biden, or Hillary.

Thing is... as I said before... a lot of the big horses so far are carving up chunks of the left/progressive wing of the party so where is the space? Well she comes from the heartland so its easier and more believable for her just to moderate and swallow up that chunk of that voter base.

Brown will do the same thing if he enters.

They may be progressive but they sell better to mainstream America. Hell a lot of their policies on trade, manufacturing, and labor are Trump's policies just more intelligently articulated. They will gobble up that blue dog group and can run a progressive/populist campaign that appeals to centers and center-lefts while advancing the progressive agenda.

As we sit here now Harris has decided to plant her flag on the left side of the Democrat party and is going to gobble up Warren and Booker... she's just a better candidate.

The only entrants that can really shake things up are Biden, Bernie, and Beto in that order. They can move the voter blocks within the Democrat ranks around a bit.

Running a moderated campaign is a good strategy for Klobuchar early because it will appeal well in Iowa and New Hampshire setting her up for the real battles down the road.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:51 PM   #175
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post

Interesting...
Running a center left campaign is hardly "all over the place."

Cutting taxes and ballooning to trillion dollar deficits while simultaneously copy and pasting Bernie Sanders' trade policy and Rand Paul's foreign policy is...

Then being heralded as the new standard bearer of the conservative movement... that's just the icing on the cake.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:04 PM   #176
chadk66

Quote:
Best for which side?

that's all she is Clocker. She will carry Nancy's water to wherever Nancy tells her to
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2019, 06:10 PM   #177
davew

Kamala Harris is running with a legalize pot nationally platform.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:22 PM   #178
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Well that'll put a "buzz" in her campaign!!
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2019, 06:58 PM   #179
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
Kamala Harris is running with a legalize pot nationally platform.
She did say "Half my family's Jamaican.What did you expect?"

Glad someone's bringing a SOH to this campaign.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2019, 07:50 PM   #180
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
She did say "Half my family's Jamaican.What did you expect?"

Glad someone's bringing a SOH to this campaign.
Is there a blood test to confirm that, or just a focus group recommendation?