Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #106
tzipi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pele polo
How about Napravnick going Left Coast on us? Chantal & Rosie going at it full time, that'd bring some press.
Big media press or did you mean DRF press?
tzipi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #107
jorcus99

What a Ride on teeth of the dog today. Saved a lot of horse for the drive. Gave Rosie the side swipe at the end. Hello New York.
jorcus99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #108
Mr G

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorcus99
What a Ride on teeth of the dog today. Saved a lot of horse for the drive. Gave Rosie the side swipe at the end. Hello New York.
I thought for a moment there Rosie was going to pass him and win....but like you said, what a ride by Joel...very impessive!
Mr G is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #109
the little guy

Teeth of the Dog ran a very game race today. Joel Rosario is a very good rider. However, I fail to see what was so great about today's ride. If anything, he was overaggressive.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2012, 11:24 PM   #110
jayfree41

AS a long time NY and So Cal handicapper (both) long distance from Seattle, I appreciate this thread and I also want to tip my hat to the two legends on this thread : Serling and Stauffer. You guys are both amazing assets to horseracing in your own ways. Thank you for participating on this forum.

I will add another opinion re: Rosario -- as I have such deep respect and admiration for his craft. He is really above all - one of the best speed jocks there is -- better on the front end than almost anyone -- P Val and Tyler Baze even. Yet...speed isn't as much a factor in NYRA racing - there are so many more different paced kind of races there. So I think he may find it difficult to crack the top echelon there. It will take a great agent and Johnny V on the sidelines for longer to really get him to the top - but you never know.

On another note: as I recall, Mr. Stauffer you were Rosario's agent for a while - interesting that has been mentioned in this thread.

Finally, Valdivia seems to be the last of the So Cal transplants to wrap up his NYRA stint. (Belmont win excepted) . And...no , he is not in the same class of rider as Rosario...

Nonetheless, just wanted to point out Rosario's riding style...and share my viewpoint here. Best, Jay
jayfree41 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2012, 11:39 PM   #111
MightBeSosa
Veteran

Actually , it was Rosie that came in , brushed 3x with Teeth (pun intended) . Might have cost her.
MightBeSosa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2012, 11:40 PM   #112
Cardus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfree41
AS a long time NY and So Cal handicapper (both) long distance from Seattle, I appreciate this thread and I also want to tip my hat to the two legends on this thread : Serling and Stauffer. You guys are both amazing assets to horseracing in your own ways. Thank you for participating on this forum.

I will add another opinion re: Rosario -- as I have such deep respect and admiration for his craft. He is really above all - one of the best speed jocks there is -- better on the front end than almost anyone -- P Val and Tyler Baze even. Yet...speed isn't as much a factor in NYRA racing - there are so many more different paced kind of races there. So I think he may find it difficult to crack the top echelon there. It will take a great agent and Johnny V on the sidelines for longer to really get him to the top - but you never know.

On another note: as I recall, Mr. Stauffer you were Rosario's agent for a while - interesting that has been mentioned in this thread.

Finally, Valdivia seems to be the last of the So Cal transplants to wrap up his NYRA stint. (Belmont win excepted) . And...no , he is not in the same class of rider as Rosario...

Nonetheless, just wanted to point out Rosario's riding style...and share my viewpoint here. Best, Jay
I cannot think of one without thinking of the other.
Cardus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2012, 12:43 AM   #113
David-LV
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
Teeth of the Dog ran a very game race today. Joel Rosario is a very good rider. However, I fail to see what was so great about today's ride. If anything, he was overaggressive.
Well maybe if you watch a race with a non bias opinion you may then give a person credit when credit is due.

The strength of Rosario won this race, so what you are saying is don't be overaggressive and lose the race.

Does that statement make real sense especially coming from a person with your knowledge??

You better get use to seeing Rosario in the winners circle or you will be ripping up a lot of losing tickets.

________
David-LV

Last edited by David-LV; 07-01-2012 at 12:46 AM.
David-LV is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2012, 04:03 AM   #114
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-LV
Well maybe if you watch a race with a non bias opinion you may then give a person credit when credit is due.

The strength of Rosario won this race, so what you are saying is don't be overaggressive and lose the race.

Does that statement make real sense especially coming from a person with your knowledge??

You better get use to seeing Rosario in the winners circle or you will be ripping up a lot of losing tickets.

________
David-LV
This is dumb.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:20 AM   #115
David-LV
Veteran

Quote:
This is dumb.
I guess when somebody else has an argument that you don't agree with your depth of thinking can only come up with "this is dumb".

Maybe that is why you call yourself "the little guy".

________
David-LV
Old 07-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #116
NTamm1215

Quote:
I guess when somebody else has an argument that you don't agree with your depth of thinking can only come up with "this is dumb".

Maybe that is why you call yourself "the little guy".

________
David-LV
I think you're just underestimating the stupidity of your post.
NTamm1215 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #117
David-LV
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215
I think you're just underestimating the stupidity of your post.
Let's all stick our nose in and defend the little guy because he could not come up with a rational come back.

Let the little guy explain why my post on Rosario's ride was dumb.

I never said that his posts were dumb, I just gave my opinion.

_______
David-LV

Last edited by David-LV; 07-01-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #118
the little guy

Quote:
Let's all stick our nose in and defend the little guy because he could not come up with a rational come back.

_______
David-LV
There are no rational comebacks to what you post. Your initial response to me made accusations that no sane person could have made based on what I posted.

I get it, you are a nasty guy that needs a reaction. It's boorish.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #119
David-LV
Veteran

Quote:
There are no rational comebacks to what you post. Your initial response to me made accusations that no sane person could have made based on what I posted.

I get it, you are a nasty guy that needs a reaction. It's boorish.
Nasty no, loveable yes, and although I still highly value your opinion and handicapping knowledge to make a statement that a jockey was over aggressive when he wins a graded race by a head is way above my pay grade.

_______
David-LV

Last edited by David-LV; 07-01-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #120
NTamm1215

Quote:

Let the little guy explain why my post on Rosario's ride was dumb.

I never said that his posts were dumb, I just gave my opinion.

_______
David-LV
Your post was dumb. Really dumb.

If you watch NY racing on even a semi-regular basis, you will quickly understand that no public handicapper in the country would even dream about objectively watching replays and assessing horse's trips the way TLG does. While most would hope to be able to offer the insight he does, they don't even bother to try. I don't blame them. To attempt to question his assessment of a race because of a supposed bias (a geographical one?) is dumb.

Teeth of the Dog was a horse (going into yesterday) whose two wins came with dichotomous running styles. His wire-to-wire win at Gulfstream came on a biased track through very slow fractions. His win in the Easy Goer came from well off a very fast pace. Rosario sensed that the pace in the Dwyer might be moderate and rode him aggressively early. The pace ended up being very strong. Luckily, Teeth of the Dog proved to be good enough to outfinish Fast Falcon, who had no discernible excuse whatsoever. Rosario had used Teeth of the Dog a little earlier than he probably could have.

I like Rosario, and hope he is successful in NY, but this was a situation that has somehow become "I told you so" by all of his fans that seem to think there's some distaste for him. Everyone who follows and plays NY racing wants the country's strongest jockey colony to only get stronger and will enjoy having Rosario as a participant. This was simply not a situation where his ride should be given an inflated amount of credit, as you apparently are attempting to do.

Last edited by NTamm1215; 07-01-2012 at 11:56 AM.
NTamm1215 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply