Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-17-2017, 02:45 PM   #1
upthecreek

He was a She

Unbelievable Wrong Horse runs
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/t...JpFH2I.twitter

Last edited by upthecreek; 09-17-2017 at 02:58 PM.
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2017, 04:39 PM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

And this just happens to occur on the night the "regular horse ID person wasn't working."

You can't make this stuff up...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2017, 04:51 PM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
And this just happens to occur on the night the "regular horse ID person wasn't working."

You can't make this stuff up...
They asked me to fill in at the last minute. It's not my fault!
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2017, 04:59 PM   #4
Trips

[QUOTE=cj;2220979]They asked me to fill in at the last minute. It's not my fault![/
You should have used the Braille system of reading. No mistake that way.
Trips is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2017, 05:15 PM   #5
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

When prior to the race does the lip number check occur...?

Does this happen each and every time or just done sporadically...? Is this check something that can be problematic or easy to miss, get wrong. etc...

I have never seen anybody check lip ID's while in the paddock, so it must be done at least 30 minutes prior...or maybe they just check the winner after...

I have no idea how it works...anyone know...?
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2017, 05:59 PM   #6
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post

Does this happen each and every time or just done sporadically...? Is this check something that can be problematic or easy to miss, get wrong. etc...

I have never seen anybody check lip ID's while in the paddock, so it must be done at least 30 minutes prior...or maybe they just check the winner after...

Back in pre-simulcast days when I would go to the paddock I would always see them checking tattoos, so I'm guessing it is done at different times at different racetracks.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2017, 06:32 PM   #7
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:

They're checked as they come in the paddock. As you can imagine, any other time could lead to running ringers.

You may not notice it unless you're looking, but you'll see the groom stop the horse while someone with a clipboard lifts the upper lip. In a few years, most all will have been chipped so it'll be a scanner over the shoulder.

Last edited by Fager Fan; 09-17-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2017, 07:16 PM   #8
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
They're checked as they come in the paddock. As you can imagine, any other time could lead to running ringers.

You may not notice it unless you're looking, but you'll see the groom stop the horse while someone with a clipboard lifts the upper lip. In a few years, most all will have been chipped so it'll be a scanner over the shoulder.
And just who is that someone who lifts the lips and checks...what is his job title and description...is that all he does all day or is this just one small task of a larger job under the racing secretary...?

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 09-17-2017 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:51 PM   #9
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
And just who is that someone who lifts the lips and checks...what is his job title and description...is that all he does all day or is this just one small task of a larger job under the racing secretary...?
It's the Horse Identifier. They also handle all the registration papers for the horses on the track/in the races.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2017, 09:14 PM   #10
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
It's the Horse Identifier. They also handle all the registration papers for the horses on the track/in the races.
Sounds like an interesting and important job...a combination of office and field work...great work environment, opportunity to learn a lot, meet people and interact with equine stars, nice...!
Old 09-17-2017, 09:15 PM   #11
Prof.Factor

Ohio also performs redundancy check of the winner before posting race Official. You can watch the identifier in the winner circle give the "OK" wave to the officials. They started doing it when Spiess got a couple 80-1 shot horse-switched winners thru. One of which was a 5yo male in against 3yo fillies. Got past all those expert horsemen on the track too.
Prof.Factor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2017, 09:39 PM   #12
NY BRED
GARY

WRONG HORSE

Further investigation revealed the mare was actually Zenyatta
in a for a proper before returning to Ca.

NY BRED is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2017, 09:46 PM   #13
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussmeister View Post
Back in pre-simulcast days when I would go to the paddock I would always see them checking tattoos, so I'm guessing it is done at different times at different racetracks.
In NY I know they use tattoos and pictures of the horses markings. Been doing it that way for decades. Still up to the Horse ID guy to do their job, else, forget it
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2017, 02:56 PM   #14
biggestal99

The horses in question have completely different markings.

glad I didn't bet the exchange in that race. I would have lost my shirt betting against the Broberg chalkie.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2017, 08:50 PM   #15
proximity

“There was an egregious mistake and I just can't talk about it further,” Broberg told the Paulick Report on Sunday. “Obviously it is very embarrassing. I've already talked to the owners that were involved. My intentions are to make the purse right with them. We'll have to see how it plays out from there.”

what does broberg mean by this?
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply