Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 10-12-2017, 09:25 AM   #1
Teach

Boston Red Sox: Post Mortem

Now that the Red Sox have again been quickly eliminated from post-season play, it’s time to do a little re-evaluating for the 2018 season. As we all know, manager John Farrell has been fired. But who replaces him? Personally, I’d like to see Torey Lovullo of the Diamondbacks (I don’t know the length of his current contract). He’s proved in Arizona, as he did in Boston when Farrell missed several games, that he’s a firm, no-nonsense kinda guy; that’s just what Boston needs. Other names that have surfaced are former Tigers manager, Brad Ausmus, and Houston’s Alex Cora. Ausmus has managerial experience and there is definite Tigers connection with general manager Dave Dombrowski. Cora has recently served as a bench coach for Houston. He played for the Red Sox between 2005 and 2008.

As for the players themselves, there has to be a re-tooling. The number #1 need for the Red Sox is a right-handed hitting power-hitter. Personally, as far back as I can remember the Red Sox have always had a right-handed slugger, e.g., Dick Gernert, Norm Zauchin, etc. who was capable of knocking the ball over “The Wall,” or more currently, into “The Monster Seats”. Let’s face it, Fenway Park is tailor-made for a right-handed slugger, just as Yankee Stadium is for a left-handed slugger.

Giancarlo Stanton, where are you? You’d have to give up half the current Red Sox team and several minor league prospects to get him. Rumor has it the Yankees will get him now that Derek Jeter is a 20% owner of The Marlins. I’m reminded of the days when Kansas City (the former Philadelphia Athletics) served like a farm team for the Yankees, e.g., Bob Cerv.

Let’s start with the catching position. I think the Sox should stand pat. They have two solid catchers: Christian Vasquez and Sandy Leon. Vasquez, in particular, can hit. I believe he was second only to Buster Posey in batting average by catchers. He’s improving defensively. Plus, I like his attitude. Leon is solid behind the plate. As an experienced catcher, he’s a valuable asset. He also chips in at the plate.

As for 1st base, Mitch Moreland started out very well at the plate (a bunch of doubles) but he seemed to tail off as the season progressed. He’s also been good defensively. Yet, I believe that one of the pieces the Red Sox need is a power-hitting right-handed first baseman; certainly someone who was a better at fielding the position than Dick Stuart.

At second base, as much as I admire Dustin Pedroia, “Father Time,” at very least has a way of catching up to you when it comes to physical skills. I just can’t see Dustin as a regular 2nd baseman. He’s had his share of injuries over the years. This is no knock on the man I consider: “The Heart and Soul of the Red Sox,” but I get the feeling that Dustin is now, at best, a part-time player. He’s also limited by the fact that you can’t use this Woodland Hills, CA native at any other position but as a second-sacker.
A

t shortstop, I will say, at the outset, I’m not a fan of Xander Bogaerts. It not that he doesn’t have the skills both as a fielder and as a hitter; it’s just that I find him to be too carefree, too nonchalant. Frankly, he impresses me as having streaks of immaturity. I admire players who are gritty “dirt-dogs”. As far as I’m concerned Xander Bogaerts doesn’t fit that billing. Is he expendable? Well, if I were the GM, I would consider Bogaerts as trade-bit. A chip that might give the Sox a top-flight player.

At 3rd base, I’ve been very impressed with Rafael Devers. He’s a solid hitter who can the pressure. He showed that with an inside-the-park home run in the playoffs with Houston. Yes, there is a need for improvement at “the hot corner,” yet I believe Devers is capable of improving his defensive skills. “Baby Face” is young prospect who will only get better. I envision him as a future All-Star.

Outfielders: Mookie Betts is a complete player. Frankly, I was disappointed with his hitting in the playoffs. Yet, he’s a good hitter, with power, who’s an outstanding defense outfielder (he’s proven that over and over again). He’s also a base-stealing threat. I would hate to see him traded. In center, Jackie Bradley, Jr. is an outstanding defensive outfielder. He’s a fly-catcher with an outstanding throwing arm. Defensively, he reminds me a lot of Willie Mays, yet, unfortunately, he hasn’t hit like Mays. Personally, I wouldn’t be too quick to give up on him. Maybe his hitting woes can be fixed? I believe it has a lot to do with his focus at the place. He’s just too good defensively to readily cast aside. Andy Benintendi in left-field is a cocky young man (I like that) with great potential. May no mistake, Andy Benintendi can hit. Yes, he’s made some running gaffs on the base-paths, but that’s something that can be dealt with. Defensively, he’s solid. Not of the caliber of Betts and Bradley, Jr., but good enough, especially at Fenway, to get the job done. Chris Young is an adequate replacement in the outfield, yet you do give up something, particularly at the plate when he’s inserted. He hit just seven home runs. The Sox need more power from their outfielders.

At designated hitter, Hanley Ramirez has had his moments. No one, at least currently, is going to come anywhere near rivaling the production of “Big Papi”. Yet, make no mistake, Hanley Ramirez has power. He’s a threat at the plate. Possibly, with a new manager, his production will improve. Currently, he’s one of the few long-ball threats the Red Sox have.

Other players are Eduardo Nunez. He impressed me during his brief stint with Sox. I believe he’s the heir-apparent for the second-base job. Yet his recent knee issues bear watching (the knee is such a tricky part of the human anatomy with all its moving parts). I also believe Deven Marrero could prove a solid, versatile utility player who can hit the long ball (two in one game as I recall). As for Brock Holt, unfortunjately, I believe that concussion he suffered earlier in the season affected his play. At one time, when it came to hitting, he reminded me of Wade Boggs. A two-strike count was nothing to “The Brockstar”; yet more recently, since the concussion, he’s not been the “professional hitter” he once was. I should mention he’s been solid defensively as a 2nd base replacement with his unique overhand throw.

As for pitchers, succinctly, both Chris Sale and Drew Pomeranz (a pleasant surprise) may need more rest between starts early in the season. They both seemed to peter out as we reached August-September. Chris Sale is an outstanding pitcher who capable of striking out many betters; yet as cited, there may be endurance issues. Rick Porcello has been a huge disappointment. The early innings kill him. Maybe, he should simulate the first couple innings in the bullpen like the Dodgers used to do with Al Downing. David Price is enigma. He’s a proud man, no denying. But there are issues. I know he’s signed a long-term contract. Maybe the new manager will help. The last thing the Sox will want are distractions. The potential is there. The mental and psychological aspects of the game have to catch up with the physical skills. Doug Fister, quite frankly, does not inspire confidence. His stuff sometimes reminds me of a batting practice pitcher. Eduoardo Rodriguez has potential (maybe it was his knee), yet he lacks consistency.

In the bullpen, Craig Kimbrel is a solid closer; yet he's had the propensity to throw “the gopher ball down nightmare alley”, i.e., the home run. For all his: “I’ll huff and I’ll puff and blow your house down,” I never saw Kimbrel as intimidating. Now, Rhyne Duran with those oversized glasses and wild warm-up pitches; that was intimidating. I thought Addison Reed was in John Farrell’s “dog-house”. I would have liked to have seen him used more against Houston. Reed strikes me as someone with the potential to be one of the best set-up men in MLB. As for the others relievers I find it hard to quantify. I will say that I’m not impressed with Joe Kelly. Well, that’s it. As they used to say when I was a boy in the 1950s: “Wait till next year!”

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2017, 09:32 AM   #2
RunForTheRoses

TL; DR

Red Sox Suck
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2017, 09:49 AM   #3
Ocala Mike

All I know is that the Yankees chased them all year to no avail, and now the pinstripers are in and the beantowners are out (again).

Go, Dodgers!
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2017, 11:55 AM   #4
Marshall Bennett

Astros still don't get the respect they deserve.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2017, 11:58 AM   #5
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I still refuse to believe the Astros are in the AL...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2017, 12:18 PM   #6
Valuist

Teacher,

Stanton is an amazing power hitter.....WHEN he plays. As of now, he has played over 125 games a total of 3 seasons. Just can't justify that kind of contract if one can't stay on the field.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2017, 03:37 PM   #7
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post

As for the players themselves, there has to be a re-tooling. The number #1 need for the Red Sox is a right-handed hitting power-hitter. Personally, as far back as I can remember the Red Sox have always had a right-handed slugger, e.g., Dick Gernert, Norm Zauchin, etc. who was capable of knocking the ball over “The Wall,” or more currently, into “The Monster Seats”. Let’s face it, Fenway Park is tailor-made for a right-handed slugger, just as Yankee Stadium is for a left-handed slugger.
[/FONT][/SIZE]
That 'etc' would include Jimmy Foxx ,Jim Rice, Manny Ramirez, Tony Conigliaro among others.Find it odd you would give as two examples of RH power hitters two players most people never , or barely heard of.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2017, 04:19 PM   #8
Marshall Bennett

A friend of mine years ago who was a huge Red Sox fan claimed that left handed hitters with average or better power would always fair better at Fenway. Not only are the seats with the lower fence in right accessible, but they can use the wall in left hitting the other way for extra base-hits. With there being many more right handed pitchers than left, this seems to make a lot of sense.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2017, 04:53 PM   #9
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
That 'etc' would include Jimmy Foxx ,Jim Rice, Manny Ramirez, Tony Conigliaro among others.Find it odd you would give as two examples of RH power hitters two players most people never , or barely heard of.
I laughed when I saw that. I must've missed it the first time. I had never heard of the two guys he mentioned, but Foxx, Ramirez and Rice were some of the most feared RH hitters ever.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2017, 07:12 PM   #10
Ocala Mike

Just had a flashback to Pesky's Pole in right!
Old 10-13-2017, 10:00 AM   #11
Elliott Sidewater

You know what? Screw the Boston Red Sox. The sight of Dustin Pedroia making the final out after adjusting his batting gloves for the twenty six thousandth time this season brought tears of pleasure to my eyes. (For the record, one of my favorite film scenes ever was Fenway getting robbed in the movie The Town) Screw the fans- go paak yer caaahs back in the garaaage, you entitled Fever Pitch babies, screw Fenway, screw Yawkey Way. Screw Big Papi, he quit because he knew that they had him for juicing. I guess this makes me a hater, but I do it selectively

Last edited by Elliott Sidewater; 10-13-2017 at 10:04 AM. Reason: grammatical error
Elliott Sidewater is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2017, 10:04 AM   #12
Ocala Mike

They'll always have 1967, the "impossible dream" year to be gushy about.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:23 AM   #13
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post

Now that the Red Sox have again been quickly eliminated from post-season play, it’s time to do a little re-evaluating for the 2018 season. As we all know, manager John Farrell has been fired. But who replaces him? Personally, I’d like to see Torey Lovullo of the Diamondbacks (I don’t know the length of his current contract). He’s proved in Arizona, as he did in Boston when Farrell missed several games, that he’s a firm, no-nonsense kinda guy; that’s just what Boston needs. Other names that have surfaced are former Tigers manager, Brad Ausmus, and Houston’s Alex Cora. Ausmus has managerial experience and there is definite Tigers connection with general manager Dave Dombrowski. Cora has recently served as a bench coach for Houston. He played for the Red Sox between 2005 and 2008.

Giancarlo Stanton, where are you? You’d have to give up half the current Red Sox team and several minor league prospects to get him. Rumor has it the Yankees will get him now that Derek Jeter is a 20% owner of The Marlins. I’m reminded of the days when Kansas City (the former Philadelphia Athletics) served like a farm team for the Yankees, e.g., Bob Cerv.

Let’s start with the catching position. I think the Sox should stand pat. They have two solid catchers: Christian Vasquez and Sandy Leon. Vasquez, in particular, can hit. I believe he was second only to Buster Posey in batting average by catchers. He’s improving defensively. Plus, I like his attitude. Leon is solid behind the plate. As an experienced catcher, he’s a valuable asset. He also chips in at the plate.

As for 1st base, Mitch Moreland started out very well at the plate (a bunch of doubles) but he seemed to tail off as the season progressed. He’s also been good defensively. Yet, I believe that one of the pieces the Red Sox need is a power-hitting right-handed first baseman; certainly someone who was a better at fielding the position than Dick Stuart.

At second base, as much as I admire Dustin Pedroia, “Father Time,” at very least has a way of catching up to you when it comes to physical skills. I just can’t see Dustin as a regular 2nd baseman. He’s had his share of injuries over the years. This is no knock on the man I consider: “The Heart and Soul of the Red Sox,” but I get the feeling that Dustin is now, at best, a part-time player. He’s also limited by the fact that you can’t use this Woodland Hills, CA native at any other position but as a second-sacker.
A

t shortstop, I will say, at the outset, I’m not a fan of Xander Bogaerts. It not that he doesn’t have the skills both as a fielder and as a hitter; it’s just that I find him to be too carefree, too nonchalant. Frankly, he impresses me as having streaks of immaturity. I admire players who are gritty “dirt-dogs”. As far as I’m concerned Xander Bogaerts doesn’t fit that billing. Is he expendable? Well, if I were the GM, I would consider Bogaerts as trade-bit. A chip that might give the Sox a top-flight player.

At 3rd base, I’ve been very impressed with Rafael Devers. He’s a solid hitter who can the pressure. He showed that with an inside-the-park home run in the playoffs with Houston. Yes, there is a need for improvement at “the hot corner,” yet I believe Devers is capable of improving his defensive skills. “Baby Face” is young prospect who will only get better. I envision him as a future All-Star.

Outfielders: Mookie Betts is a complete player. Frankly, I was disappointed with his hitting in the playoffs. Yet, he’s a good hitter, with power, who’s an outstanding defense outfielder (he’s proven that over and over again). He’s also a base-stealing threat. I would hate to see him traded. In center, Jackie Bradley, Jr. is an outstanding defensive outfielder. He’s a fly-catcher with an outstanding throwing arm. Defensively, he reminds me a lot of Willie Mays, yet, unfortunately, he hasn’t hit like Mays. Personally, I wouldn’t be too quick to give up on him. Maybe his hitting woes can be fixed? I believe it has a lot to do with his focus at the place. He’s just too good defensively to readily cast aside. Andy Benintendi in left-field is a cocky young man (I like that) with great potential. May no mistake, Andy Benintendi can hit. Yes, he’s made some running gaffs on the base-paths, but that’s something that can be dealt with. Defensively, he’s solid. Not of the caliber of Betts and Bradley, Jr., but good enough, especially at Fenway, to get the job done. Chris Young is an adequate replacement in the outfield, yet you do give up something, particularly at the plate when he’s inserted. He hit just seven home runs. The Sox need more power from their outfielders.

At designated hitter, Hanley Ramirez has had his moments. No one, at least currently, is going to come anywhere near rivaling the production of “Big Papi”. Yet, make no mistake, Hanley Ramirez has power. He’s a threat at the plate. Possibly, with a new manager, his production will improve. Currently, he’s one of the few long-ball threats the Red Sox have.

Other players are Eduardo Nunez. He impressed me during his brief stint with Sox. I believe he’s the heir-apparent for the second-base job. Yet his recent knee issues bear watching (the knee is such a tricky part of the human anatomy with all its moving parts). I also believe Deven Marrero could prove a solid, versatile utility player who can hit the long ball (two in one game as I recall). As for Brock Holt, unfortunjately, I believe that concussion he suffered earlier in the season affected his play. At one time, when it came to hitting, he reminded me of Wade Boggs. A two-strike count was nothing to “The Brockstar”; yet more recently, since the concussion, he’s not been the “professional hitter” he once was. I should mention he’s been solid defensively as a 2nd base replacement with his unique overhand throw.

As for pitchers, succinctly, both Chris Sale and Drew Pomeranz (a pleasant surprise) may need more rest between starts early in the season. They both seemed to peter out as we reached August-September. Chris Sale is an outstanding pitcher who capable of striking out many betters; yet as cited, there may be endurance issues. Rick Porcello has been a huge disappointment. The early innings kill him. Maybe, he should simulate the first couple innings in the bullpen like the Dodgers used to do with Al Downing. David Price is enigma. He’s a proud man, no denying. But there are issues. I know he’s signed a long-term contract. Maybe the new manager will help. The last thing the Sox will want are distractions. The potential is there. The mental and psychological aspects of the game have to catch up with the physical skills. Doug Fister, quite frankly, does not inspire confidence. His stuff sometimes reminds me of a batting practice pitcher. Eduoardo Rodriguez has potential (maybe it was his knee), yet he lacks consistency.

In the bullpen, Craig Kimbrel is a solid closer; yet he's had the propensity to throw “the gopher ball down nightmare alley”, i.e., the home run. For all his: “I’ll huff and I’ll puff and blow your house down,” I never saw Kimbrel as intimidating. Now, Rhyne Duran with those oversized glasses and wild warm-up pitches; that was intimidating. I thought Addison Reed was in John Farrell’s “dog-house”. I would have liked to have seen him used more against Houston. Reed strikes me as someone with the potential to be one of the best set-up men in MLB. As for the others relievers I find it hard to quantify. I will say that I’m not impressed with Joe Kelly. Well, that’s it. As they used to say when I was a boy in the 1950s: “Wait till next year!”
Nice Analysis Teach. You should send it into the Boston Globe to see if they want to print it. I too was a boy in '50's and I don't recognize the names of the rh power hitters you mentioned. But I was a hardcore Mickey Mantle Yankees fan back then.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:31 PM   #14
burnsy
self medicated

The new "Media World" just makes me laugh. This goes for all the large market teams. They fire a guy that consistently wins. Boston is not the only one. The "talk" around here was Joe Girardi was gone if they lost the other night. The Yankees least amount of wins is 84 with him at the helm, including a Worlds Series title. Some of those lean years this team should of even won that many. Yet, he makes a blunder and they are calling for his head. These idiot management people and owners are dumb enough to listen. John Farell had been around 5 years and 3 of them the Red Sox have won over 90 games with a World Series championship. This is a team that once went without one for multiple decades! So, just getting one is a huge achievement for any coach.

Really good managers get run out now, even if the team is good! I have a hunch if the Red Sox don't get the right guy. They will look like the New York Giants next year. They kind of chased Tom Coughlin out of town too. Hey New York Post, Daily News and their goofy knee jerk reaction fans.....how's that working for ya!

If ain't broke, don't "fix" it..............They are rolling the dice with this idea. Like this guy was a shitty manager.......you could end up with a lot worse.....
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2017, 08:47 PM   #15
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
I'm surprised he didn't mention Jackie Jensen.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply