Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 09:00 PM   #196
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
That's funny. I thought the opposite I want $2 increments for everything. If someone can't do the math, they are in trouble

Sick and tired of seeing or hearing that the .10 super paid $1.24 cents

Either way, irrelevant to me, so if others like it, more power to them.
I want $1 payouts for everything. That's how I record it in my spreadsheets. Plus I want ROI reported based on a $1 bet, not $2.

I always found it humerous when a track feels obligated to provide both a $1 super payout and $0.10 super payout. If you can't do that math you are really, REALLY in trouble

~Alan Watts
Old 09-28-2016, 09:19 PM   #197
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussmeister
I want $1 payouts for everything. That's how I record it in my spreadsheets. Plus I want ROI reported based on a $1 bet, not $2.

I always found it humerous when a track feels obligated to provide both a $1 super payout and $0.10 super payout. If you can't do that math you are really, REALLY in trouble
Call me a traditionalist....What can I say....

Like I said, I won't make a big deal of it. Story over.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:21 PM   #198
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
$2.08.

One thing to correct, I only did Talking Horses 36 of the 40 days, so we are not talking about all 40 cards.
Like I said, anything near or above $1.68 is impressive. Way to go TLG

Any particular races stick out? Favorite meet winner?
Old 09-28-2016, 09:22 PM   #199
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise Over Run
Slacker.
HA HA. I wish I could focus on all 40 days of the SPA. Hate being away for a day! You're right
Old 09-29-2016, 10:58 AM   #200
Exotic1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
Right, people are actually betting the best bets.
I shouldn't have phrased my comment to the way I did. I meant to give backdrop to what you were saying but I do not agree with your premise.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:29 AM   #201
pandy

Alternative Picks (Parallel Universe Picks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotic1
I shouldn't have phrased my comment to the way I did. I meant to give backdrop to what you were saying but I do not agree with your premise.

Okay. The reason why I say Best Bets are so crucial is because most people automatically assume that you can't win if you bet every race. However, one thing is for sure, if anyone can show a flat bet profit on picks, the more picks, the better. In other words, say you have one handicapper who comes up with 10 picks a month and over the course of a year shows a flat bet $1.10 ROI based on $1 bets (10% profit per dollar wagered after 120 bets).

Another handicapper makes 100 picks a month with the same ROI, 10% profit per dollar wagered after 1200 bets. Both handicappers did extremely well, but the one who made 100 bets a month is better, and, indeed, would be considered a master handicapper.

Starting this week at Belmont on the free page of my website, I'm listing a set of alternative picks. These are not the horses that I actually selected to win on my service or on the sheet that we sell at Belmont. These are my alternative picks, which must no lower than 4-1 on the morning line. My win % therefore will be lower than my regular picks.

I started working on this concept last summer. I gave out two sets of alternative picks for Del Mar and Saratoga. Saratoga's alternative picks showed a flat bet profit, Del Mar didn't. However, I didn't use a wide criteria for the picks, I just looked at a computer printout from my Diamond System and quickly jotted down some picks. This time I'm using several sets of numbers.

My theory is that many handicappers (not sure of what percentage) can produce better (higher ROI) picks if they simply use their underneath picks more often. For instance, the horses that they don't think have the best chance of winning. I say many handicappers, not all handicappers, because it depends a lot on the type of handicapper you are. For instance, Steve Matthews in Newsday picks a lot of longshots on top, so he's already giving out alternative picks. I'm not sure this would work for him.

In my Power Pace Handicapping book I went into detail about being a public handicapper. The best way to produce a positive ROI on all of your picks is to pick a longshot in every single race. However, if you do that, you will have many terrible days when the chalk wins and you have Zero winners. People who follow the picks of a public handicapper are often fans who go to the track once in a while and they want winners. If they follow your picks and after, say, three trips to the track you only picked a total of 4 winners in 30 races, they'll think you suck, even though you may have picked two $30 horses on top and actually were the only public handicapper who showed a flat bet profit over the course of those three days. This is always the situation that professional handicappers are in. People want winners.

But, in terms of wagering, and for the typical bettor, learning how to think outside of the box is crucial. And a good way to force yourself to get into that way of thinking is to create a set of alternative picks, without any favorites.

Last edited by pandy; 09-29-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:17 PM   #202
Hapman

Quote:
People are "actually" betting all my top selections, and others.

I have little interest in the minutia of this thread, but you seem to be heading in a strange direction.
I'm new here so forgive me, "the little guy" is actually Andy Serling?
Old 09-29-2016, 12:18 PM   #203
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Yes. Verified and bona fide.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:49 PM   #204
Alwaysonpoint36
loose on the lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Yes. Verified and bona fide.
I tested it out 2 years ago at Aqu. Seen Andy and yelled 'yo, the little guy!....he wasn't pleased 😂😂😂
Old 09-29-2016, 07:51 PM   #205
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysonpoint36
I tested it out 2 years ago at Aqu. Seen Andy and yelled 'yo, the little guy!....he wasn't pleased 😂😂😂
Ha ha. I went out to Belmont for the Big Brown Derby in 2008 and tried to say hello to Andy on the Friday before. Snubbed me, but it's okay because he was undoubtedly busy. I still like him!
Old 09-29-2016, 07:56 PM   #206
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66
Ha ha. I went out to Belmont for the Big Brown Derby in 2008 and tried to say hello to Andy on the Friday before. Snubbed me, but it's okay because he was undoubtedly busy. I still like him!

I only snub people I know.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:25 PM   #207
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
I only snub people I know.
You've never snubbed me Now, I'm honored !
Old 10-08-2016, 02:31 PM   #208
Maxximus
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
You don't have to like him. Just don't lie about him.
What exactly did I lie about?
Old 10-08-2016, 03:24 PM   #209
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxximus
What exactly did I lie about?

You called him one of the "worst handicappers in the industry" that's total BS-- and you know it, Maxx.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:27 PM   #210
Maxximus
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg
You called him one of the "worst handicappers in the industry" that's total BS-- and you know it, Maxx.

Relax. He is certainly is. Chasing 5 horses in a race is lazy handicapping. My dog can do that.
Closed Thread