Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-27-2018, 01:02 PM   #1
ldiatone

John Asher

has any one view this/ John Asher, who in his role as vice president of racing communications at Churchill Downs was the public face and voice of the iconic racetrack and the Kentucky Derby (G1), died of an apparent heart attack the morning of Aug. 27 at age 62.

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2018, 01:42 PM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/p...ies-at-age-62/
Old 08-27-2018, 01:52 PM   #3
v j stauffer

Just terrible news. John loved Churchill Downs and the Kentucky Derby more than anyone I ever met. Many people may not know this but back in the day John won 5, count em, five Eclipse awards for radio excellence. Will miss him greatly. RIP
Old 08-27-2018, 02:04 PM   #4
craigbraddick

He was always very helpful and encouraging to me. Was chatting with him in the last two weeks about my future plans. He always had interesting insights and he will be deeply missed in the horse racing community. RIP.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:35 PM   #5
ubercapper

John was one of the most genuine, honest people I've ever known. Always upbeat and always made time for a chat. He will be sorely missed.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2018, 02:36 PM   #6
turfnsport

John was also quite the music aficionado. He must have posted music 5 or 6 times a day on FB. Always great stuff. He had very good taste when it came to his music. RIP
turfnsport is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2018, 02:56 PM   #7
Suff
Beat up 💪

He got hit hard with something because he was tweeting 4-5 times a day up until 18 hours ago. The people who are expressing sorrow are industry leaders who respected him immensely obviously.

He had a significant social media presence. Companies like this have popped up just for these cases.

https://www.everplans.com/articles/h...n-someone-dies
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2018, 08:14 PM   #8
sandpit

Like many here, in the racing community, and all over Kentucky, I was honored to call John my friend. We had many great conversations over the years during and after my employment at Churchill. One of his favorite lines, when I complained about Mine That Bird winning the Derby, was that "There are no bad Derbys!" He was right, of course.

I always thought if Churchill Downs had a Mount Rushmore in homage to those that did the most for the Derby and track itself, he would definitely be on it.
sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2018, 10:44 AM   #9
Parson

I did not know John well, but he always had time to chat when I saw him either backside or trackside. He was the epitome of a gentleman. He was most likely the most knowledgeable senior management officials at CDX when it came to racing. He never turned down an opportunity to publicly speak about the Ky Derby. And you will find few who loved the 1st Saturday in May more. RIP John, RIP
Parson is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2018, 02:26 PM   #10
Andy Asaro

Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply