Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Trading The Financial Markets

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.11 average.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:54 PM   #421
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hracingplyr View Post
Do you find out when they're buying or selling and what they're buying or selling
you find out about a week later. its worked for years even though you take the worst of the price.

right now Fidelity has sold their Delta Airlines while Wellington has bought so you wouldn't get involved in that one.

the same thing happened in the gold market in 1999 after it had dead for over 20 years and then it took off.

Last edited by lamboguy; 08-23-2017 at 07:56 PM.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2017, 07:27 PM   #422
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by barn32 View Post
Handles and Cars are both terms for points.

I was looking for a nice follow through pop today after yesterday's reversal. Nothing major, maybe 2-10 cars on the ES, and 5-25 handles on the NQ.

When that didn't happen I was puzzled. Not only were we not up but at one point the ES was down 11.50.

That didn't really make sense to me that we would be down so much. But the interesting thing was volatility. XIV was down 4 points. It was up 6 yesterday. (VXX had a 4 for 1 reverse split today.) That just seemed like way too much. It was. (It's down 1.18 as I write this.)

But then I got to thinking—Trump must have said something. What else could it be? So I did a little digging and sure enough the petulant child said that if he doesn't get his wall then he's going to shut down the government!

Absolutely amazing. I mean it's just friggin amazing!
Recently I was reading up on how the Elliot Wave International weenies insist that news does not affect the market. Like the election and Brexit didn't move the meter?

But what is clear is that the news item tagged for the cause of a move may not be the real "root cause mover". It came out prior to the weekend that Trump was threatening a government shutdown, so one would think that would have been a mover on Monday, unless for some reason it was just taken "seriously" later on.

Personally, I was thinking the Jackson Hole news flow might get a pump and dump started, but futes now heading down. Hmmmm..... Tricky.

BTW - I thought "car" was lingo for a full S&P contract (5 times the mini). You hear the guys in the pit mention that term when the floor traders are getting involved with bigger moves.....
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2017, 09:18 AM   #423
jms62
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post
Recently I was reading up on how the Elliot Wave International weenies insist that news does not affect the market. Like the election and Brexit didn't move the meter?

But what is clear is that the news item tagged for the cause of a move may not be the real "root cause mover". It came out prior to the weekend that Trump was threatening a government shutdown, so one would think that would have been a mover on Monday, unless for some reason it was just taken "seriously" later on.

Personally, I was thinking the Jackson Hole news flow might get a pump and dump started, but futes now heading down. Hmmmm..... Tricky.

BTW - I thought "car" was lingo for a full S&P contract (5 times the mini). You hear the guys in the pit mention that term when the floor traders are getting involved with bigger moves.....
R.N. Elliot died a poor man. Elliot Wave with its constant renumbering after the fact is extremely hazardous to your wealth.
jms62 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2017, 02:34 PM   #424
jms62
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
now i am going to bet you can never find anything stronger than gold is right here and right now.

knowing what has happened never put any money in anyone's pockets. i am telling you what is going to happen ahead of time due to the strength i see in it.

if you want to deal in recent history you will go broke chasing these things.
Crazy Candle in Gold today sold off 15 points in about 1 minute on break of 1300 now snuggling right back up. Any shenanigans by NK over the weekend and we could have a massive gap and go.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:17 PM   #425
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
Crazy Candle in Gold today sold off 15 points in about 1 minute on break of 1300 now snuggling right back up. Any shenanigans by NK over the weekend and we could have a massive gap and go.
the dollar just cracked 92 today and looks like its going a lot lower.

it looks like Trump doesn't care what the rest of the world wants, he wants to see the people in this country do well, and that would mean a weaker currency.

i was watching the whipsaw action today with gold, someone showed up with a large short on gold and someone was on the other side of the trade buying it right away. then they pushed price up a little.

this baby is all coiled up ready to takeoff, they are just looking for a few more victims to fall into place and then all hell will let lose.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:12 PM   #426
lamboguy

looking further into the gold trading today, someone walked up to the window and laid down $2 million to short contracts and there was someone ready for him on the other side. that is what i call strength and signals to me that the shorts are going to be in a heap of trouble with their trades and gold is going back up to $1370 for now.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:20 PM   #427
lamboguy

they got all these hurricanes going through the gulf and the price of oil won't go up! the dollar has been going down and the price of oil won't go up!

something wrong with oil.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:37 PM   #428
_______
Veteran

Quote:
they got all these hurricanes going through the gulf and the price of oil won't go up! the dollar has been going down and the price of oil won't go up!

something wrong with oil.
Oil Refineries offline=Reduced Demand=Falling commodity price.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2017, 06:27 AM   #429
jms62
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______ View Post
Oil Refineries offline=Reduced Demand=Falling commodity price.
Glad you play in the mutuel pools.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:31 AM   #430
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I've stopped posting trades, not because I haven't had any (I've had a LOT in August, and I am currently down less than half my usual risk per trade for the month)....but because it's obviously nothing more than me looking for an ego stroke when I get it right....in other words, it's pointless...lol
I learn a lot from your trades. It keeps me in tune to the market. Market sentiment is important.

The downside is that when someone posts their trades they might have to put up with ridicule from the know it alls, but that's a small price to pay. No one ever claimed that all posters here have tact.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2017, 10:42 AM   #431
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post
I learn a lot from your trades. It keeps me in tune to the market. Market sentiment is important.

The downside is that when someone posts their trades they might have to put up with ridicule from the know it alls, but that's a small price to pay. No one ever claimed that all posters here have tact.
he has tremendous discipline with his stops and the way he trades. he will outshine most. he should focus in on gold now, i am sure he would do much better than myself.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:44 PM   #432
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Quote:
looking further into the gold trading today, someone walked up to the window and laid down $2 million to short contracts and there was someone ready for him on the other side. that is what i call strength and signals to me that the shorts are going to be in a heap of trouble with their trades and gold is going back up to $1370 for now.
$ 2 million wouldn't cause that. right.

In a span of one minute, gold futures contracts equaling more than 2 million ounces traded --
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2017, 09:50 PM   #433
n.c

retail is down, selling at low pe

auto stock down, selling at low pe
airlines down, selling at low pe
bio down, selling at low pe

Amzn - if they enter any business, that sector tanks
Amzn news has taken down Wmt, ,cvs, hd,low, KR, cvs, Auto parts...but amzn does not make too much money. These companies make $$$$, and they go down..AMZN does not make money, but rev goes up, it goes up.

This market held up by less than 10 stocks, and they are all selling at perfection.

A 5 to 10 % correction is needed from these so called growth stocks.
n.c is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2017, 10:12 PM   #434
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.c View Post
auto stock down, selling at low pe
airlines down, selling at low pe
bio down, selling at low pe

Amzn - if they enter any business, that sector tanks
Amzn news has taken down Wmt, ,cvs, hd,low, KR, cvs, Auto parts...but amzn does not make too much money. These companies make $$$$, and they go down..AMZN does not make money, but rev goes up, it goes up.

This market held up by less than 10 stocks, and they are all selling at perfection.

A 5 to 10 % correction is needed from these so called growth stocks.
IF the internet ever goes down that would be a big hit for a company like Amazon.

Walmart will do fine off the grid because they have physical locations.

Now, if the internet goes down we're all in trouble, but still, the risk of owning Amazon is not zero.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2017, 11:02 AM   #435
jms62
Veteran

Quote:
the dollar just cracked 92 today and looks like its going a lot lower.

it looks like Trump doesn't care what the rest of the world wants, he wants to see the people in this country do well, and that would mean a weaker currency.

i was watching the whipsaw action today with gold, someone showed up with a large short on gold and someone was on the other side of the trade buying it right away. then they pushed price up a little.

this baby is all coiled up ready to takeoff, they are just looking for a few more victims to fall into place and then all hell will let lose.
We have lift off but Need to Hold 1307+