Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-18-2019, 11:42 AM   #1
Kenman58

Am I blind?

Long time Lurker, first time poster here...

Anyways, did anyone see race #6 at Remington Park On Wednesday, 10/16?

How in the WORLD did they DQ the #7 horse? Granted, it helped me out on my Pick 4 ticket, but I'm still in shock.. He completely clears the #2 horse, who checked up for no apparent reason.. It's by far the worst call I've ever seen in racing.. Anyone have any insight as to what I'm missing here?

https://www.remingtonpark.com/replays/
Kenman58 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2019, 12:59 PM   #2
wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenman58 View Post
Long time Lurker, first time poster here...

Anyways, did anyone see race #6 at Remington Park On Wednesday, 10/16?

How in the WORLD did they DQ the #7 horse? Granted, it helped me out on my Pick 4 ticket, but I'm still in shock.. He completely clears the #2 horse, who checked up for no apparent reason.. It's by far the worst call I've ever seen in racing.. Anyone have any insight as to what I'm missing here?

https://www.remingtonpark.com/replays/

You must have missed the part where by coming in, the caused the into the , who almost went through the rail.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:18 PM   #3
Kenman58

But he was clear by 4 feet haha
Old 10-18-2019, 01:32 PM   #4
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
I watched the replay on the Remington site - WED 10-16-2019 R6.

Here's what I see:

At first glance, the pan shot makes it look like the #7 cleared the #2.

But a closer look at the pan shot shows the #1 horse on the rail partially blocking out the view of both the rear half of the #7 horse and the front half of the #2 horse. This makes it really hard (for me) to use the pan shot to judge the actual distance between the rear legs of the #7 horse and the front legs of the #2 horse.

That's what I think the stewards are focusing on.

Any time the rear legs of one horse and the front legs of another horse are close enough that a front leg of a trailing horse can make contact with the rear leg of a horse in front - a dangerous situation is created. It's called 'clipping heels' and it's one of the ways a horse can fall while running at speed.

After watching the replay of the pan shot I watched the head on replay (which starts at about the 4:00 mark in the replay video on the Remington site.)

The rider of the #7 horse angles over toward the the rail.

As the #7 horse crosses in front of the #2 horse:

The rider of the #2 horse angles over (Imo, to avoid clipping heels) and in so doing bumps with the #1 horse whose rear end actually makes contact with the rail.

After watching the replay (both the pan shot and the head on shot) I can't really judge whether or not the #7 horse was clear of the #2 horse.

But the head on replay clearly shows the #7 crossing over at a fairly sharp angle, and the head on replay clearly shows a chain reaction behind the #7.

In this particular case, because I can't actually see from the pan shot how much distance actually exists between the rear legs of the #7 horse and the front legs of the #2 horse:

I have to trust the judgement of the stewards and hope they got the call right.

By the way, the DQ in this race makes a good example of the difference in rules used for DQ's here in the US and Canada vs. the rules used for DQ's in other parts of the world like Europe, Australia, Japan, and Hong Kong.

Here in the US and Canada under Category 2 rules: When the stewards decide a foul was committed there is no choice. They have to take the horse down.

In other parts of the world under Category 1 rules, the stewards decide not only whether or not a foul was committed but also decide on the severity of the foul.

In my opinion, had this same race with the exact same incident been run in Australia, the UK, Japan, or Hong Kong where Category 1 Rules are in use:

I think it highly likely the stewards would have ruled to let the result stand for wagering purposes.

-jp

Old 10-18-2019, 01:46 PM   #5
Kenman58

Best. Answer. Ever.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
I watched the replay on the Remington site - WED 10-16-2019 R6.

Here's what I see:

At first glance, the pan shot makes it look like the #7 cleared the #2.

But a closer look at the pan shot shows the #1 horse on the rail partially blocking out the view of both the rear half of the #7 horse and the front half of the #2 horse. This makes it really hard (for me) to use the pan shot to judge the actual distance between the rear legs of the #7 horse and the front legs of the #2 horse.

That's what I think the stewards are focusing on.

Any time the rear legs of one horse and the front legs of another horse are close enough that a front leg of a trailing horse can make contact with the rear leg of a horse in front - a dangerous situation is created. It's called 'clipping heels' and it's one of the ways a horse can fall while running at speed.

After watching the replay of the pan shot I watched the head on replay (which starts at about the 4:00 mark in the replay video on the Remington site.)

The rider of the #7 horse angles over toward the the rail.

As the #7 horse crosses in front of the #2 horse:

The rider of the #2 horse angles over (Imo, to avoid clipping heels) and in so doing bumps with the #1 horse whose rear end actually makes contact with the rail.

After watching the replay (both the pan shot and the head on shot) I can't really judge whether or not the #7 horse was clear of the #2 horse.

But the head on replay clearly shows the #7 crossing over at a fairly sharp angle, and the head on replay clearly shows a chain reaction behind the #7.

In this particular case, because I can't actually see from the pan shot how much distance actually exists between the rear legs of the #7 horse and the front legs of the #2 horse:

I have to trust the judgement of the stewards and hope they got the call right.

By the way, the DQ in this race makes a good example of the difference in rules used for DQ's here in the US and Canada vs. the rules used for DQ's in other parts of the world like Europe, Australia, Japan, and Hong Kong.

Here in the US and Canada under Category 2 rules: When the stewards decide a foul was committed there is no choice. They have to take the horse down.

In other parts of the world under Category 1 rules, the stewards decide not only whether or not a foul was committed but also decide on the severity of the foul.

In my opinion, had this same race with the exact same incident been run in Australia, the UK, Japan, or Hong Kong where Category 1 Rules are in use:

I think it highly likely the stewards would have ruled to let the result stand for wagering purposes.

-jp

Old 10-19-2019, 12:26 PM   #6
Afleet

How many fingers am I holding up?
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2019, 11:17 PM   #7
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afleet View Post
How many fingers am I holding up?
None, you are typing on a keyboard.