Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-19-2019, 10:38 PM   #91
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkchester Road View Post
No, Comedian. If interest in a shithole track disappears, the track will disappear. Anybody jonesing to bet that atrocity of a track will still have plenty of shitholes to choose from to bet. Get a clue.

Interesting....
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2019, 10:46 PM   #92
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
"Thereafter, the facility will be responsible for the humane and respectful disposition of the remains."

Burial in a landfill hardly seems respectful.
I agree, a cemetery would be more appropriate, maybe we could build new sections there and sell them to owners, all about commerce.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2019, 02:27 AM   #93
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
"Thereafter, the facility will be responsible for the humane and respectful disposition of the remains."

Burial in a landfill hardly seems respectful.
But that is not what happened. The horse was "dumped" there.

I have no problem with a special part of a landfill where there are earth moving machines and backhoes to dig holes and bury dead horses. I prefer they be cremated as that is what they do with dogs.

I SURE AS HECK don't want to visit the landfill (and I have, to discard lumber and such and paid to do it) and see an ucovered horse or dog laying there in full view. That's not normal and I've never seen that......anywhere.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2019, 08:23 AM   #94
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
But that is not what happened. The horse was "dumped" there.

I have no problem with a special part of a landfill where there are earth moving machines and backhoes to dig holes and bury dead horses. I prefer they be cremated as that is what they do with dogs.

I SURE AS HECK don't want to visit the landfill (and I have, to discard lumber and such and paid to do it) and see an ucovered horse or dog laying there in full view. That's not normal and I've never seen that......anywhere.
I agree, Clicknow. This situation is "that" kind of bad for racing...and officials acting all Foghorn Leghorn about it while actually doing nothing isn't going to work this time.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:27 AM   #95
Robert Fischer
clean money

espen

Thankfully this story didn't make ESPN, but ESPN has been playing the 'counting game' and was quick to post death #34 for Santa Anita (g. Satchel Paige) last night 8:30est...

No mention of how improved breakdown rate has been since taking steps to better maintain the surfaces and practices. Just negative sensationalism "if it bleeds, it leads" for the church of the LCD...

I see the LA Times has a article, ESPN article simply sourced "AP", so either they have a watch set up specifically or someone at the Times or similar operation has a gig w/ the espn hr section...

Our game has been so incompetent in the media, but in spite of the all-pub-is-good-pub mantra, (and the $ we are obviously losing out to), the back-page element of our sport is almost (almost), a good thing here. NOBODY clicks 'horse racing' on Espn... and Espn isn't going to bother this particular death, on the front page, in w/ their NFL/NBA/COLLEGE/ETC revenue driving articles.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:21 PM   #96
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkchester Road View Post
I agree, Clicknow. This situation is "that" kind of bad for racing...and officials acting all Foghorn Leghorn about it while actually doing nothing isn't going to work this time.
It works all the other times.

Actually, in the scheme of things, this "tossed in the wrong spot" at landfill really isn't that heinous.

I did think that the fact that her racing bandages were still on was also somewhat disrespectful....thinking the horse's groom or a backside worker would remove those, just as a thoughtful gesture.

Anyway, as I said, in the scheme of things that happen at Mountaineer, it doesn't compare to some of the other stuff, like Sipp's horses still being found in kill pens, and this:

The problem for me, in all this, is that there are race fans who rightfully love the sport (because there is a lot to love) and there are many people in the industry who truly care about the animals they have chosen to spend their lives working with, and also includes those who write, make figures, compile data and have employment related to the sport.

Unless we remove (permanently) the festering trash that is like gangrene to the industry, all of us will be hurt by this. Seems like pretty good incentive to save the things worth saving. Some people think that exposing the festering gangrene is traiterous or means they support PETA or something..........no. It's the apologist/ostriches who will cause our sport to further descend into bad shape. WE have to show that we want things done right and that we don't support the BS.

Last edited by clicknow; 10-20-2019 at 01:24 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2019, 10:13 PM   #97
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
It works all the other times.

Actually, in the scheme of things, this "tossed in the wrong spot" at landfill really isn't that heinous.

I did think that the fact that her racing bandages were still on was also somewhat disrespectful....thinking the horse's groom or a backside worker would remove those, just as a thoughtful gesture.

Anyway, as I said, in the scheme of things that happen at Mountaineer, it doesn't compare to some of the other stuff, like Sipp's horses still being found in kill pens, and this:

The problem for me, in all this, is that there are race fans who rightfully love the sport (because there is a lot to love) and there are many people in the industry who truly care about the animals they have chosen to spend their lives working with, and also includes those who write, make figures, compile data and have employment related to the sport.

Unless we remove (permanently) the festering trash that is like gangrene to the industry, all of us will be hurt by this. Seems like pretty good incentive to save the things worth saving. Some people think that exposing the festering gangrene is traiterous or means they support PETA or something..........no. It's the apologist/ostriches who will cause our sport to further descend into bad shape. WE have to show that we want things done right and that we don't support the BS.
Well said, Clicknow.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:39 AM   #98
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

PETA are opportunistic liars and wack-o's, but that doesn not change the facts, and Clicknow hits it pretty good.

This is why I fully support Federal regulation of racing with clear cut, mandatory standards for every part of the industry, auditable by third party accredited auditors who have the power to shut down a track for and major infraction found.

The game is just not responsible enough to police themselves.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:55 PM   #99
atlasaxis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
What do you guys think other tracks do with dead racehorses?

As undignified as this is, it's not like they go around holding funerals and buying headstones....(unless you were REALLY good).

NYRA has a "pit" at each track, don't they? What happens to the carcass after it is thrown in the pit? Hauled away by who/what?

How much less awful could it be then the picture in the OP? Probably not much.
All dead horses are taken to Cornell for autopsy.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:30 PM   #100
GMB@BP

Like I said, fishy

https://www.drf.com/news/law-enforce...=news/all-news
Old 10-23-2019, 12:31 AM   #101
Fager Fan
Veteran

Here’s a stupid question. How is the identity known on this horse from the very start when PETA claims they went the next day and were unable or not allowed to enter the landfill to see the horse? Process of elimination, the only horse euthanized at the track in the prior days?
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2019, 08:53 AM   #102
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
Here’s a stupid question. How is the identity known on this horse from the very start when PETA claims they went the next day and were unable or not allowed to enter the landfill to see the horse? Process of elimination, the only horse euthanized at the track in the prior days?
Don't you just need one pissed-off person who didn't like how the horse was disposed of to make a call to PETA or a friend of PETA? They clearly got tipped off.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2019, 11:11 AM   #103
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
Don't you just need one pissed-off person who didn't like how the horse was disposed of to make a call to PETA or a friend of PETA? They clearly got tipped off.
tipped off? I think it may be more nefarious than that, all they would have to do is pay off someone at the landfill to dispose of the horse in the wrong spot.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:47 PM   #104
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
tipped off? I think it may be more nefarious than that, all they would have to do is pay off someone at the landfill to dispose of the horse in the wrong spot.
If that were the case...wouldn't Mountaineer be a little more vocal in their self-defense?
Old 10-23-2019, 09:24 PM   #105
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
That's not what I'm looking for. I'm asking how they know who the horse was.

PETA claimed to have received just these 2 pics (or 3?) that were published from a "whistleblower." Neither of the pics show the horse's identity.

PETA claimed they sent someone to the landfill the next day and were not able to see/find the horse.

So if those two claims are true, then they had no evidence of who the horse was. No photo of their tattoo. So publishing the identity of the horse would be pretty dangerous if you care about your credibility given that by their own words they were given no evidence to identify the horse.

I'm disappointed with the DRF article. No, this case isn't closed. There are still questions. Who was the trailer driver? Let's hear what he says happened.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply