Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-27-2018, 05:02 PM   #1
Pensacola Pete
Veteran

Gobble gobble nom nom whales

I just finished a 30 day study of late money moves over 20 tracks. Here are my conclusions:

1) The whales are greedy little sots who never stop being hungry.

2) This behavior happens in every visual pool for every race at every race track in North America that allows online wagering. It may also happen in the unseen pools (i.e. 3+ vertical and horizontals), but it's difficult to verify.

3) There IS a pattern to it. It can actually be predicted.

Using HTR, Excel (and Access to research it), I came up with a formula that takes various factors into account. It zeroes in on on the horse(s) that are going to get crushed in the pool, with about 85% accuracy --- this before the pools even open.

The problem with exploiting this is that even knowing who is being slammed, the ROI is still in the 0.91 range. I guess the big players get fantastic rebates. That or they're stepping on each others' feet, and they all aren't making money.

Of course, when one gets a horse that the greed mongers ARE'NT going to bet, "there's gold in them their hills" in the form of better prices.

Now I need to test it forwardly for another 30 days to be sure the accuracy stays the same.
Pensacola Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2018, 06:04 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Can't blame the whales - when the game gives them a decided edge, they would be fools to not to capitalize.

Best advise is find other venues of entertainment.
You would be surprised how much you won't miss racing after a very short time.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:11 PM   #3
BCOURTNEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensacola Pete View Post
I just finished a 30 day study of late money moves over 20 tracks. Here are my conclusions:

1) The whales are greedy little sots who never stop being hungry.

2) This behavior happens in every visual pool for every race at every race track in North America that allows online wagering. It may also happen in the unseen pools (i.e. 3+ vertical and horizontals), but it's difficult to verify.

3) There IS a pattern to it. It can actually be predicted.

Using HTR, Excel (and Access to research it), I came up with a formula that takes various factors into account. It zeroes in on on the horse(s) that are going to get crushed in the pool, with about 85% accuracy --- this before the pools even open.

The problem with exploiting this is that even knowing who is being slammed, the ROI is still in the 0.91 range. I guess the big players get fantastic rebates. That or they're stepping on each others' feet, and they all aren't making money.

Of course, when one gets a horse that the greed mongers ARE'NT going to bet, "there's gold in them their hills" in the form of better prices.

Now I need to test it forwardly for another 30 days to be sure the accuracy stays the same.
Big rebates are in the .08 to .12 on the dollar range.

Willing to share horses and/or factors ahead of time in this thread?
BCOURTNEY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2018, 09:34 PM   #4
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Can't blame the whales - when the game gives them a decided edge, they would be fools to not to capitalize.

Best advise is find other venues of entertainment.
You would be surprised how much you won't miss racing after a very short time.
Agree.

Until EVERYONE in the pools shares the same risk the game will be effed up IMO.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2018, 03:14 PM   #5
Fox

For the sake of your study, I hope your observations were more accurate than they were for the 5th race at Woodbine on May 11th.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2018, 08:38 PM   #6
PaceMasterT

PaceMasterT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2018, 10:32 AM   #7
davew

how can you tell the money is from whales and not just hundreds of $2 bettors?
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2018, 05:43 PM   #8
JeremyJet
Handicapper

Wherever the money is coming from, as the last horse is about to load, it seems like they're focused on horses that would normally be heavy chalk regardless. It's like they're exploiting the favorite/longshot bias to a new level due to the rebates.

All I know is this: EVERYONE needs to know the odds. Not just a select few.
JeremyJet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2018, 06:22 PM   #9
JeremyJet
Handicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyJet View Post
Wherever the money is coming from, as the last horse is about to load, it seems like they're focused on horses that would normally be heavy chalk regardless. It's like they're exploiting the favorite/longshot bias to a new level due to the rebates.

All I know is this: EVERYONE needs to know the odds. Not just a select few.
Looks like it just happened in the 3rd at Churchill. Half the win pool came in just before the gates opened. The 9 horse was pounded down to 3/5. That's way overbet based on the will-pays for that race.

The 9 horse lost, btw. They don't always cash.
JeremyJet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: