Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-24-2018, 04:29 PM   #1
LemonSoupKid

The Breeders' Cup at Churchill Downs

I haven't been there for this event since 2000, wondering how necessary particular seating is at this point. I have been to the BC the last 4 years in a row now, and typically what I find is that (depending on the track, particularly big tracks) you can either scalp a ticket or just walk in with GA, which tends to not be a problem. That is, the face value of these tickets to me seems drastically overpriced if the track is a big one.

Anyone have thoughts on this or CD for this event?

Thanks,

LSK
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2018, 05:05 PM   #2
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonSoupKid View Post
I haven't been there for this event since 2000, wondering how necessary particular seating is at this point. I have been to the BC the last 4 years in a row now, and typically what I find is that (depending on the track, particularly big tracks) you can either scalp a ticket or just walk in with GA, which tends to not be a problem. That is, the face value of these tickets to me seems drastically overpriced if the track is a big one.

Anyone have thoughts on this or CD for this event?

Thanks,

LSK
If you just want access to the track, just pay for GA.

If you want good sightlines, it gets very dicey at Churchill. The seats that can see the whole track are ridiculously expensive, and the seats that can see 2/3rds of the track (the 3rd floor) are moderately expensive.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2018, 07:02 PM   #3
LemonSoupKid

So you're saying there is marginal difference between the GA and grandstand reserved type stuff.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:37 PM   #4
dilanesp

Quote:
So you're saying there is marginal difference between the GA and grandstand reserved type stuff.
General admission will allow you onto the bleachers next to the rail. You will see the stretch but little else, because Churchill loves putting up obstructions in the infield.

Grandstand reserved seats on what Churchill calls the 1st and 2nd levels will also give you the stretch and little else, though you will be somewhat closer to the finish line than you will with a GA ticket.

If you want to see the entire race, you need to be in at least a 3rd floor box, and preferably in one of the top 4 or 5 rows. That will cost you at least $400 or so for the two days. Being on the roof is upwards of a grand for the two days.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:08 PM   #5
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
General admission will allow you onto the bleachers next to the rail. You will see the stretch but little else, because Churchill loves putting up obstructions in the infield.

Grandstand reserved seats on what Churchill calls the 1st and 2nd levels will also give you the stretch and little else, though you will be somewhat closer to the finish line than you will with a GA ticket.

If you want to see the entire race, you need to be in at least a 3rd floor box, and preferably in one of the top 4 or 5 rows. That will cost you at least $400 or so for the two days. Being on the roof is upwards of a grand for the two days.
I do agree with this, though I dont recall the same amount of tenting for the BC as I did for the derbys I have attended.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2018, 08:17 PM   #6
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I do agree with this, though I dont recall the same amount of tenting for the BC as I did for the derbys I have attended.

Yep.

I was there in 2010 and they held the racing at night under the lights.

I'm from Nebraska, and it was freaking cold. They even brought in a bunch of those lamp heaters all throughout the grandstands, but they were only good for a couple of feet.

I'm not going this year for that very reason. First BC I'll miss since that 2010 venture. Tickets for the inside where we would want to sit just don't seem worth it, and I'm looking to hit up a track elsewhere as my trip this year. Hopefully Saratoga.

I agree with dilanesp as well. GA and lower tier seats are brutal. Especially the lines for wagering. I also wouldn't trust the wifi being all that great and expedient if you want to wager from a laptop for cell phone. Probably an excellent idea to bring a 2nd cell or some kind of hotspot for your own wifi connection for that very purpose.

IMO, you are looking at $750 to $1K to get decent seats with ample wagering windows/machines, vendors for food and drink, and highly important somewhat clean and accessible bathrooms, etc. Otherwise get used to long lines and possibly missing on getting some wagers into the windows unless your are in line 10 to 15MTP.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2018, 09:42 PM   #7
LemonSoupKid

You guys are making me reconsider even going. A nice OTB sounds far more preferable,
Old 05-24-2018, 09:49 PM   #8
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
I'm from Nebraska, and it was freaking cold. They even brought in a bunch of those lamp heaters all throughout the grandstands, but they were only good for a couple of feet.

I'm not going this year for that very reason. First BC I'll miss since that 2010 venture.

horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2018, 01:10 PM   #9
LemonSoupKid

Seriously, the elements (cold) notwithstanding, what would irk me the most, and by far, is the inability to place bets within 5-10 minutes reasonably placed. By that I mean obviously not waiting til the last minute and complaining.

I feel like CD is bad with this, or at least you guys are reporting it. I was thinking of a return trip to Louisville for next year's Derby but man, if the BC is this bad, I can't imagine the Derby. Is the Oaks that brutal for betting when you are live there too? I usually like BC and other big racing weekend Fridays more because it's so much lighter and relaxing without all the people, crowding and other mayhem.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:02 PM   #10
dilanesp

Quote:
Seriously, the elements (cold) notwithstanding, what would irk me the most, and by far, is the inability to place bets within 5-10 minutes reasonably placed. By that I mean obviously not waiting til the last minute and complaining.

I feel like CD is bad with this, or at least you guys are reporting it. I was thinking of a return trip to Louisville for next year's Derby but man, if the BC is this bad, I can't imagine the Derby. Is the Oaks that brutal for betting when you are live there too? I usually like BC and other big racing weekend Fridays more because it's so much lighter and relaxing without all the people, crowding and other mayhem.
Honestly the two times I was there I was able to bet.

But if betting right before post time is crucial to you, big race days are going to be bad generally. The point is more to be there.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:53 PM   #11
LemonSoupKid

I've been to 4 straight BC, this would be 5, I'm aware of how it works.

Given the ticket prices and bad weather, and the feeling that CD is historic but suboptimal in many ways, I might just have as nice a time in an OTB in sunny Florida. That's all I was considering.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:20 PM   #12
dilanesp

Quote:

Given the ticket prices and bad weather, and the feeling that CD is historic but suboptimal in many ways, I might just have as nice a time in an OTB in sunny Florida. That's all I was considering.
You probably will. I really don't like Churchill.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:47 PM   #13
DerbyJackpot

Quote:

The Oaks is a much better experience than the Derby. Pretty easy to place wagers in the infield on Oaks Day also.

On Oaks day pay $20 to park at one of the houses before the entrance. No line for beer. Etc... Derby at Churchill is the biggest headache. Will never attend another Derby.

So with that theory I'd say BC will be similar to Oaks Day.
DerbyJackpot is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2018, 10:54 PM   #14
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyJackpot View Post
The Oaks is a much better experience than the Derby. Pretty easy to place wagers in the infield on Oaks Day also.

On Oaks day pay $20 to park at one of the houses before the entrance. No line for beer. Etc... Derby at Churchill is the biggest headache. Will never attend another Derby.

So with that theory I'd say BC will be similar to Oaks Day.
I had a blast at the derbies i have attended, i dont think the oaks races held a candle.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2018, 04:35 PM   #15
Afleet

Quote:

I have been to a couple of BC's at CD, the last one was freezing. Our seats were right past the finish line on the tarmac and was easy to bet and run inside to get warm on Friday. Saturday we were on the 1/16 pole on the tarmac and like everyone said its hard to see. If you have never been to CD-go -its cool. I may be going to Downs after dark on 6/16-tickets upstairs $25 bucks-5 graded stakes I think.
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: