Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-22-2018, 11:22 PM   #16
Denny
Veteran

Why so nasty, Cincy? And what does it have to do with it?

Last edited by Denny; 04-22-2018 at 11:23 PM.
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2018, 11:39 PM   #17
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Why so nasty, Cincy? And what does it have to do with it?
I honestly was not trying to be nasty. I just don't get congregating at a betting site with no live racing. If it's empty it's because of the obvious IMO. It's more comfortable at home!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2018, 07:49 AM   #18
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer View Post
Your house is a more comfortable OTB. Who gives a ****?!

Live racing at the summer venue starts here in the Nati next week. Can't wait to be on track!
Same Here. Monmouth opens derby day this year. The wife and I are driving down. 5 buck parking. 5 buck admission. 2 buck rebate on a mystery voucher.(unless we are lucky at catch the 1000 buck voucher).

The great thing about being at the track you dont have to worry about video delays when betting in race.

and its derby day. should be quite a day.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2018, 09:24 AM   #19
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
I honestly was not trying to be nasty. I just don't get congregating at a betting site with no live racing. If it's empty it's because of the obvious IMO. It's more comfortable at home!
That's not the point, its the fact that half or more of the races are not filled....causing a lack of interest. My point was that the places have actually evolved and the tracks are nicer.....but the racing has underdeveloped to the point of being 2nd rate. Sitting at home is great but it would be nice if people showed up at the live events.

Last edited by burnsy; 04-23-2018 at 09:26 AM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2018, 02:48 PM   #20
Denny
Veteran

The point of the thread is what burnsy pointed out.

It's not the OTB itself, mine is really pretty nice. A hell of a lot better than what the OTB's were like in NYC.

It's a place to congregate with fellow horseplayers and talk horses in person.

It's that the racing sucks for half the card. The product is bad.

I go to the track every year - Saratoga as much as I can. (I won't spend two and half hours driving to Aqueduct, or even Belmont anymore with all the tolls - to see a deserted grandstand.)

Last edited by Denny; 04-23-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:19 PM   #21
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses View Post
Wait until they add sports wagering there.
Place will be packed every NFL Sunday.
Finger Lakes tried something new with the NFL - Pick the PRos and Ponies. Yo picked twoo horse races and two NFL teams for a Pic4.
Aded chicken wings to the menu to boot!

Alas, poor FL, I knew her well.

People at the wings, watched the game, didn't bet, and we lost Sundays forever.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:17 PM   #22
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
The point of the thread is what burnsy pointed out.

It's not the OTB itself, mine is really pretty nice. A hell of a lot better than what the OTB's were like in NYC.

It's a place to congregate with fellow horseplayers and talk horses in person.

It's that the racing sucks for half the card. The product is bad.

I go to the track every year - Saratoga as much as I can. (I won't spend two and half hours driving to Aqueduct, or even Belmont anymore with all the tolls - to see a deserted grandstand.)
I go to live racing. And Belterra really screwed up the live racing track setup. The old River Downs was far more comfortable and nice. I miss it. But I like being on track for live racing and playing and I like camaraderie between players. When there is no live racing I prefer betting from home. Now that I have my own printing press at home I love being snowed in during the winter playing races from down south!
Old 04-23-2018, 05:40 PM   #23
wisconsin

Quote:
I go to live racing. And Belterra really screwed up the live racing track setup. The old River Downs was far more comfortable and nice. I miss it. But I like being on track for live racing and playing and I like camaraderie between players. When there is no live racing I prefer betting from home. Now that I have my own printing press at home I love being snowed in during the winter playing races from down south!
We used to go to River Downs every Labor Day weekend, when they ran all turf Labor Days, with the exception of the Cradle on dirt. The finale was always a 2 1/4 mile Starter race on the grass. We quit going in the early '90's, I had my 4th kid, etc, was just too difficult. There was this really good Dixieland band that roamed the apron and grandstand. Always had a good time. Went again in the summer of 2016. Disappointment was my thought. They charged me for a spot to watch simulcast racing. I was able to go outside for the live races, but the puny grandstand did not do it for me.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:46 PM   #24
Parkview_Pirate

For the first time since last spring, I downloaded and handicapped the cards from Aqu, Kee, GP and SA for Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Yup, "We're in Trouble" about sums it up.

There were a handful of interesting races to 'cap, but most fall into two categories - where the winner pays $6.40, or where the winner pays a bit more with a significant "improvement" in performance, not readily obvious from the PPs. That's not to say that some horses coming off some bad trips or rounding into form might not gleaned with intensive study, but there used to be a time when several longer shots could be selected from a card, and a couple of those would run well. Not any longer.

There's still some fun in it, but it's getting tougher.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2018, 09:07 PM   #25
Denny
Veteran

If the premier meet currently running, Keeneland, can't fill their races....
Draw your own conclusions.

IMO, the only reason handles have been up around 10% some places is the new tax laws.
About the best thing the sport has experienced since simulcasting.

Otherwise, things are dreadful and getting worse. Where's the incentive to be a horseplayer? Small fields unless you like that sortvof thing, OR, you like what Gulfstream is selling?!
It does seem to be selling well to somebody.

Not to me.

Last edited by Denny; 04-23-2018 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Added something
Old 04-23-2018, 09:25 PM   #26
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
If the premier meet currently running, Keeneland, can't fill their races....
Draw your own conclusions.

IMO, the only reason handles have been up around 10% some places is the new tax laws.
About the best thing the sport has experienced since simulcasting.

Otherwise, things are dreadful and getting worse. Where's the incentive to be a horseplayer? Small fields unless you like that sortvof thing, OR, you like what Gulfstream is selling?!
It does seem to be selling well to somebody.

Not to me.
You must dominantly be a dirt player. If so I agree. I'm a turf player and I get full fields and good prices fairly regularly. And I'm not locked into any one track or circuit or surface. I can 30 second handicap a 6 horse dirt field but will spend time with it if it is sizable. Maiden races especially with a good amount of firsters are nice havens for plays. Something most handicappers don't like. Most stakes are chalk oriented. Things are better than they ever have been in my play and I started in 1996. Not sure where you are looking at. Weekday cards though can be a drag nearly everywhere. I'd rather roll with Mahoning Valley, Will Rogers, or Zia on those days than Keeneland and Gulfstream.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:51 PM   #27
five-eighths

Man all this talk of live racing

They just closed my track HP a couple of weeks ago on the day the horses were supposed to ship in at the last minute. Some drove 14 hours with their horses only to have to turn around and go back

So we were just left with a single harness track in Northville until that was just sold to a developer last week. At least they will be running there till 2020 but after that who knows? The owner says he wants to build a new track, but he also wants slot machines, good luck with that in Michigan.

Even though they ran mostly 4K, 5K claimers the attendance was good even if it was mostly for the cheap beer. They didn’t charge for parking or admission meant more money for betting for me. Even when you lose a little you still have a good time being outside with your buddies watching the crowd and betting the ponies.

Not having a local TB track to go to will definitely put a dent in my interest and amount or races I will bet. Might have to take a couple of road trips to get my fix of live TB racing.
five-eighths is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2018, 10:11 PM   #28
Denny
Veteran

Cincy,

You're right about me being primarily a main track player.
I made my own speed figures, but, ONLY for dirt.

Turf racing looks to me to be all about trips, with everyone slowing the pace and waiting for the final quarter-mile to go.
I really don't care for it.

So yes, my options are definetley limited. But, I think your going to see a reduction in field sizes in turf racing also. In fact, think it's already begun.
Just not as noticeable since fields are still bigger than on dirt. But, not by as much as they were. So watch out.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:45 PM   #29
AstrosFan
math/science # cruncher

I only play from home. Don't go to the track unless it's a top track for the experience and even then I'll play via my wagering app.
AstrosFan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2018, 09:02 PM   #30
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin View Post
We used to go to River Downs every Labor Day weekend, when they ran all turf Labor Days, with the exception of the Cradle on dirt. The finale was always a 2 1/4 mile Starter race on the grass. We quit going in the early '90's, I had my 4th kid, etc, was just too difficult. There was this really good Dixieland band that roamed the apron and grandstand. Always had a good time. Went again in the summer of 2016. Disappointment was my thought. They charged me for a spot to watch simulcast racing. I was able to go outside for the live races, but the puny grandstand did not do it for me.
Love the Dixieland band! Been a while since I've been there on Labor Day weekend. I'm usually at the pool next door! Without adding on to what I've been griping about since they redid it, they just really took most of the life out of the place for a racing fan. At least in the old grandstand you had views from the top and could always find table space to work. Just jog a few steps down to the paddock. They have half the paddock closed off now before the race. So they screwed that up too. And the grandstand is a joke. They have dinky seating area with a canopy top. A canopy top! Then bleacher seats below in direct sun that nobody ever sits on. Downstairs is hemmed in by concrete columns with no table space and barely any tv's for simulcast. You get into the simulcast parlor and it seats 150 down from 750 and you can't even see an inch of the track. I do my running and make it work but they ruined the racing experience bigtime. If you don't reserve a seat the night before you will be relegated to standing all day on a weekend. It sucks. Plus same ghetto condition book and they slashed purses midway through the 1st meet! Yeah they love the racing fan!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: