Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-04-2018, 11:25 AM   #1
Suff
Beat up 💪

Nice Winter @ Gulfstream.

Yesterday's WPS pools were hard to follow. There were some excellent place and show prices. I thought we might have had a recurring or multiple bridge jumpers. There were price horses there, but also saw 7-1's paying 9/2 and 5/2 underneath.

Early races had $200K WPS pools, Race 7 had $503K, Race 8 was a stakes but it jumped to $749K and it peaked on the national stakes, $1.3M.

Gulfstream voluntarily announced an across the board 10% hike in Purses for the rest of the meet. Handle is up 9%.

The racing has been excellent. Full fields, great jockey colony. Yesterday a Jimmy Jerkens horse, John Velezaquez riding, pays $24.20. Where else do you ever get Jerkens/Velzquez paying $24.00!.
Stole it with soft fractions like the hall of fame rider he is. Fun to watch.

They are having some issue with the Turf. Last week they had to go OFF Turf late in the day, beautiful 80 degree day, because the turf is beat up badly.

You can see craploads of dirt and dust kicking up on the turns. Its a half turf half dirt race, and disadvantage to horse who prefer a deep soft turf.

All in all. Excellent.

Attached Images
File Type: png Johnny V.png (343.9 KB, 28 views)
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2018, 12:57 PM   #2
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
Yesterday's WPS pools were hard to follow. There were some excellent place and show prices. I thought we might have had a recurring or multiple bridge jumpers. There were price horses there, but also saw 7-1's paying 9/2 and 5/2 underneath.

Early races had $200K WPS pools, Race 7 had $503K, Race 8 was a stakes but it jumped to $749K and it peaked on the national stakes, $1.3M.

Gulfstream voluntarily announced an across the board 10% hike in Purses for the rest of the meet. Handle is up 9%.

The racing has been excellent. Full fields, great jockey colony. Yesterday a Jimmy Jerkens horse, John Velezaquez riding, pays $24.20. Where else do you ever get Jerkens/Velzquez paying $24.00!.
Stole it with soft fractions like the hall of fame rider he is. Fun to watch.

They are having some issue with the Turf. Last week they had to go OFF Turf late in the day, beautiful 80 degree day, because the turf is beat up badly.

You can see craploads of dirt and dust kicking up on the turns. Its a half turf half dirt race, and disadvantage to horse who prefer a deep soft turf.

All in all. Excellent.
They need to stop racing on the turf course for at least 6 months after this meet.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2018, 03:23 PM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

They need to buy a timer and act like a major league track.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:14 PM   #4
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
They need to buy a timer and act like a major league track.

Yes, I know and agree. Last month I was following CJ's thread on the problem He's 100% right. I wasn't entirely sure why he was getting so much push back. He's as right as right can be. For him its crucial to his play and profession. I get that. For me its sun, fun and leaving with more money than I started with.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2018, 05:18 PM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

That is all that counts - what you want fro the game.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:45 AM   #6
pandy

Considering the current state of racing, Gulfstream is certainly doing great business and has huge pools. I do think they made a mistake racing on turf every day prior to this meeting, and they do have to get the timing correct. Personally, I hate "about distances" or any turf races where the timing is off.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2018, 07:53 AM   #7
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
Considering the current state of racing, Gulfstream is certainly doing great business and has huge pools. I do think they made a mistake racing on turf every day prior to this meeting, and they do have to get the timing correct. Personally, I hate "about distances" or any turf races where the timing is off.
I have done well at Gulfstream this year. I do know that some of the figures I'm looking at on turf are suspect though. All in all I enjoy this meet.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2018, 11:05 AM   #8
windstone

when is the last day for the current .20 p-6 if not hit before??
windstone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2018, 12:11 PM   #9
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Considering the current state of racing, Gulfstream is certainly doing great business and has huge pools.
That's because they absolutely cater to, and bend over backwards for, the "CRW Teams."

Which is one of the reasons they probably leave the betting windows open for 5-10 minutes past the 0mtp mark (that and just plain greed). You ever wonder why they are one of the WORST tracks in this regard?

A bunch of others are following suit, but not to the extreme that Gulfstream does...it's pathetic how they don't adhere to their MTP clock.

NYRA, on the other hand, gets off their races with military precision, by comparison. They are rarely off more than 1-2 minutes beyond 0mtp. It's quite impressive.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2018, 12:22 PM   #10
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
That's because they absolutely cater to, and bend over backwards for, the "CRW Teams."

Which is one of the reasons they probably leave the betting windows open for 5-10 minutes past the 0mtp mark (that and just plain greed). You ever wonder why they are one of the WORST tracks in this regard?

A bunch of others are following suit, but not to the extreme that Gulfstream does...it's pathetic how they don't adhere to their MTP clock.

NYRA, on the other hand, gets off their races with military precision, by comparison. They are rarely off more than 1-2 minutes beyond 0mtp. It's quite impressive.
I have noticed Santa Anita, which was always great about running on time, creeping up the delays.

No shock that the guy who ran GP that last few years is now at SA.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2018, 12:32 PM   #11
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I have noticed Santa Anita, which was always great about running on time, creeping up the delays.

No shock that the guy who ran GP that last few years is now at SA.
True that.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2018, 12:46 PM   #12
jay68802

One other observation is that it seems to me that lately GS and Santa Anita have been starting races very close to the same time as Oaklawn.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2018, 04:11 PM   #13
SG4

Anyone know why no Gulfstream entries up for Friday yet? Condition book says entries were to be taken on Mar 4th.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2018, 04:43 PM   #14
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
Anyone know why no Gulfstream entries up for Friday yet? Condition book says entries were to be taken on Mar 4th.
Today is the 3rd on their calendar!
Old 03-06-2018, 05:04 PM   #15
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Gulfstream takes two months off prior to this meet.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: