Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 07:57 PM   #1321
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post
No. The survey asked a specific question. However, the majority (60%) of people would consider voting for an atheist, with 75% of 18 to 29 would support a qualified atheist for president. So, yes based on that poll I would believe a qualified candidate, even if he was an atheist would be elected to the House or the Senate.
"Would consider" is not the same as "would." The atheist carries a bigger burden than any other religious group. He has more to overcome from the get go.

Can you name one admitted atheist who has ever been elected to either body? The operative word is admitted.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:00 PM   #1322
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Would you accept the following statements?
  • If there is no god then life can have no purpose?
  • The claim that life has a purpose implies that there is a god?

Would you accept either statement? Would you accept neither? Or would you accept one (if so which one) and reject the other?
Are you trying to wax logical, Actor?
Old 05-07-2017, 08:04 PM   #1323
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
"Would consider" is not the same as "would." The atheist carries a bigger burden than any other religious group. He has more to overcome from the get go.

Can you name one admitted atheist who has ever been elected to either body? The operative word is admitted.

Harvey Milk. I am sure there are others.
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington
Old 05-07-2017, 08:05 PM   #1324
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Would you accept the following statements?
  • If there is no god then life can have no purpose?
  • The claim that life has a purpose implies that there is a god?

Would you accept either statement? Would you accept neither? Or would you accept one (if so which one) and reject the other?
Depends on your definition of god and purpose.
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington
Old 05-07-2017, 08:13 PM   #1325
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
You're playing into Actor's hands with posts like these....
Old 05-07-2017, 08:18 PM   #1326
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
You're playing into Actor's hands with posts like these....
Not really. Let him define his terms. More than likely I won't agree with his definition and the point would be moot.
George Washington
Old 05-07-2017, 08:34 PM   #1327
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Not really. Let him define his terms. More than likely I won't agree with his definition and the point would be moot.
No....You allow Actor to be the "actor" in the conversation, thus you are reduced to the role of "reactor".....You should be the "stimulus" to this type of conversation, not the other way around.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:54 PM   #1328
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Try again. I don't think Milk was an admitted atheist, nor was he ever elected to the House or the Senate.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:54 PM   #1329
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
I stand corrected I misread Actor's post. I missed the part about being elected to either body, meaning the House or Senate.

I apologize Actor.
George Washington
Old 05-07-2017, 08:56 PM   #1330
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Try again. I don't think Milk was an admitted atheist, nor was he ever elected to the House or the Senate.
Seems we posted at the same time.
George Washington
Old 05-07-2017, 08:57 PM   #1331
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
No, it depends on your definitions. Whatever they are determines the line of reasoning that I must follow.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:03 PM   #1332
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
No, it depends on your definitions. Whatever they are determines the line of reasoning that I must follow.
You asked the question, define your terms. As ReplayRandall said I am reacting to you.

You are the one making all the claims and every time I asked you a question about your claims, you deflected, constructed a straw man argument, etc. without proving your assertions.
George Washington
Old 05-07-2017, 09:18 PM   #1333
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Have a nice evening Actor.

I cannot take too much more of the intense intellectually stimulating discussion.
George Washington
Old 05-07-2017, 09:49 PM   #1334
Greyfox

Quote:
" The atheist carries a bigger burden than any other religious group.
Yes, you've agreed Atheism is a religion. Good on you.

On the surface your burden is bigger, with billions against you.
But in practice your brethren may number billions as well.
I believe in a Higher Power, but I'd be sincerely interested in you sharing what you see as the, in your own words, what is the "bigger burden?"

Last edited by Greyfox; 05-07-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:55 PM   #1335
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Yes, you've agreed Atheism is a religion. Good on you.

On the surface your burden is bigger, with billions against you.
But in practice your brethren may number billions as well.
I believe in a Higher Power, but I'd be sincerely interested in you sharing what you see as the, in your own words, what is the "bigger burden?"
Our burden is that we must always be "bigger" than religious folks and allow them to believe what they wish, without feeling any need to inform them of the so-called "good news" which is mostly decidedly not new, nor good...lies are never good things to believe in...
Closed Thread