Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-28-2021, 04:49 PM   #1
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Mena Falls Asleep

In Race 6 at FG today:

He led almost all the way on the at 18-1 before getting worn down by James Graham on the (the eventual winner). A few strides before he wire he "goes Desormeaux" and eases up, allowing the bomb at 40-1 to nip him for 2nd.

I imagine trainer Bret Calhoun is chewing his ass right about now.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:22 AM   #2
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
In Race 6 at FG today:

He led almost all the way on the at 18-1 before getting worn down by James Graham on the (the eventual winner). A few strides before he wire he "goes Desormeaux" and eases up, allowing the bomb at 40-1 to nip him for 2nd.

Tough beat!

Got a little tired as well. + When Mena did see the pressure and tried to shut-off the inside horse, he lost his footwork (which may well have cost him the Exacta as well!!)

I don't know a lot about jockey skills, but it seems counterintuitive when they don't peek back from a loose lead.
Then you wonder whether some horses need a hand drive and resent/shut down on the right hand whip, or need a left whip, or need a drive timed in a specific way to suit their personal idiosyncrasies...
Outside my knowledge. I don't know... He was 5/2 and almost took them wire-wire... hung a bit, maybe the jock fell asleep

There was a race the other day at Parx, where the opposite happened.

2 chalks dueled and a jockey on a mid-priced long shot had them dialed in.
He stalked them. Timed his move beautifully. Passed them in mid stretch, smooth as can be, with a confident posture. - Then a deep closer came out of nowhere! to pass him for the Money, while he resumed pumping in vain...

Also happens a lot if you try to sniper shoot a superfecta with some huge price underneath.
Many times they realize they aren't contending, and then do that half-hearted fake whip wave thing (the unofficial signal of "he's outta horse, but..., 'Integrity' ")... C'mon you might get 4th!!

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 01-29-2021 at 08:25 AM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2021, 08:12 PM   #3
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
In Race 6 at FG today:

"Goes Desormeaux" WILL be used at Mountaineer this year and WILL become part of racing's lexicon.
Peter Berry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2021, 08:22 PM   #4
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Berry View Post
"Goes Desormeaux" WILL be used at Mountaineer this year and WILL become part of racing's lexicon.
I would think twice(thrice?) about this if I were you.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:51 PM   #5
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
That will be awesome
Old 01-29-2021, 08:52 PM   #6
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I would think twice(thrice?) about this if I were you.
Why? It will be a great horseplayers inside joke.

Hell, Peter should trade mark it. Or Phantom.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:55 PM   #7
mountainman

Looks back are like cockroaches. When you spot one, there are others, as well, often in the same race on the same horse. In many cases, I would attribute this habit to a lack of discipline.

Pertaining to jocks taking costly snoozes-they often can skate free on even egregious offenses simply by maintaining they felt the horse take a bad step. Because this oft-employed refrain invokes the animal's safety, and riders alone sit on a thoroughbred's back, few stewards will further scrutinize the incident.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2021, 06:54 AM   #8
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Looks back are like cockroaches. When you spot one, there are others, as well, often in the same race on the same horse. In many cases, I would attribute this habit to a lack of discipline.

Pertaining to jocks taking costly snoozes-they often can skate free on even egregious offenses simply by maintaining they felt the horse take a bad step. Because this oft-employed refrain invokes the animal's safety, and riders alone sit on a thoroughbred's back, few stewards will further scrutinize the incident.
Perfectly explained again by Mark. Here’s hoping the tandem remains intact for 2021 and beyond.
Old 01-30-2021, 11:28 AM   #9
mountainman

Quote:
Perfectly explained again by Mark. Here’s hoping the tandem remains intact for 2021 and beyond.
Can't wait, Mr Berry. We are going to bring it.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:09 PM   #10
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Can't wait, Mr Berry. We are going to bring it.
The best combo in horse racing.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:26 PM   #11
BombsAway Bob
DimeSupers Really Are!

Quote:
I second that emotion...
Hope all is well.
[/url]
BombsAway Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-02-2021, 12:11 AM   #12
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombsAway Bob View Post
I second that emotion...
Hope all is well.
tx, bob...i've been walking empty malls with my son (surreal) and playing mahoning with good success (quite a contrast from last year)....hope you are safe and healthy..and crushing the races..

house building project spiraling out of control..exactly WHAT was i thinking?? LOL....

...3rd session with triple clowns in works..

Last edited by mountainman; 02-02-2021 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:30 AM   #13
mountainman

Quote:
took look at your twitter several nights back and wanted to comment on your call of dream race for pacers, but as non-member was unable......anyway, bravo......

surely, btw, same deal for t-breds now in planning stage? if so, should "bid" be omitted, you and i will have issues..issues sufficient for you to prudently avoid me for first month or so of racing..LOL..if, however, the incomparable "colin" gets a berth, it's like bogie said at end of casablanca (as good a film as has yet been made).."this could be the start of a beautiful friendship"..lasting at least until i hear the words "consistency rewarded".....if you do the t-bred race..let me know who made the cut.. i will do a line and we can compare with yours..big fun

Last edited by mountainman; 02-02-2021 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-02-2021, 05:04 AM   #14
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

I’d love to do a 10-furlong race for thoroughbreds. Field of 16, just U.S.-based horses, eliminating the elephant in the room, aka Phar Lap. Bid would be one of the first picked. I’ll get some fan input on Twitter and FB in next few days, conduct a blind draw, then hand it to you for the morning line. Do you rate Spectacular Bid as highly as Secretariat?
Old 02-02-2021, 08:38 PM   #15
mountainman

Quote:
I’d love to do a 10-furlong race for thoroughbreds. Field of 16, just U.S.-based horses, eliminating the elephant in the room, aka Phar Lap. Bid would be one of the first picked. I’ll get some fan input on Twitter and FB in next few days, conduct a blind draw, then hand it to you for the morning line. Do you rate Spectacular Bid as highly as Secretariat?
Since Phar Lap ran on dirt, why the exlusion? And, although I would much enjoy a consultant's role on field composition, running styles and race-flow, I should really not tip my (our?) hand with publicly aired rankings of prospective participants. Nor will the line reflect my opinion(s) on any runner's chances, but rather a guesstimate of how the final odds might look.

I do intend to factor in the singular legacies left by each horse, yet imbue the morning line with just a dash of contempt for legend. Even if players from all invoked eras get to bet the race, the odds, would be driven by sharpies using the sort of modern insights and knowledge (short of retroactive speed-figs and pace numbers)) that spurn "RIP" (reputaion induced phenomena) and coldly size up the race.

I would advise against including a surplus of speed-types, as that might compromise some iconic runners and make the result too predictable.

Last edited by mountainman; 02-02-2021 at 08:41 PM.