Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #121
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller
...To me its amazing that you guys are in such denial about this.
And acting like this is some new concept dreamed up this week. We had this same discussion seventeen trillion times before it even passed. He even ignores the loss in tax revenue that will immediately be realized by those workers that simply fall off the books but remain employed.

This is basic arithmetic, not complex algebra. There's no need to distort anything so concise and simple.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #122
newtothegame

Quote:
Mostie we have had this discussion before...

Pointblank the ACA costs business money... you cannot deny that.

Its breaks own into 3 scenarios:
1) You don't offer health insurance but now you do so you have to pay part of the plan = added expense.
2) You don't offer health insurance and decide to continue not offering it and pay a $2,000 penalty for every employee you have over the 50 worker threshold = added expense.
3) You do offer health insurance (see #1) but your employee's elect not to take it for whatever reason so you pay a penalty based on the current exchange rate for health insurance in your market = added expense.

Businesses that are faced with added expenses seek to offset those by any means necessary including but not limited to cutting hours, freezing hiring, and laying people off.

To me its amazing that you guys are in such denial about this.
Because to accept it Elysian, those on the left would also have to admit that in the long run they are hurting the "worker" who they supposedly stand for....
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed.
newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-12-2012, 12:59 AM   #123
Donnie

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/11...est=latestnews

Papa Johns stripping back hours.....
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-12-2012, 01:00 AM   #124
Donnie

...and do the people who will not be covered by their employers realize that if they do not purchase insurance they will be penalized on their yearly taxes??
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-12-2012, 01:02 AM   #125
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame
Because to accept it Elysian, those on the left would also have to admit that in the long run they are hurting the "worker" who they supposedly stand for....
WE ARE NOT. Under the present plan. Or should I say the previous plan. Under the almost previous plan, many workers had no health insurance, many of their plans had limits on coverage or could be cancelled without explanation. None of the plans would cover children living at home up to age 26. If a worker had a preexisting condition, that worker could not get coverage.

When Obamacare goes fully into effect, all those things will no longer be true. These improvements to our health care system will impact twenty to thirty million people positively. I think it is very doubtful that the Affordable Care Act will cause massive layoffs, and all of your anecdotal evidence will not change my opinion.

Even if there are some layoffs initially, they will soon be reversed when companies realize the benefits of the law.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:14 AM   #126
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost
Even if there are some layoffs initially, they will soon be reversed when companies realize the benefits of the law.
This kind of sounds like the "we have to pass the bill in order to find out what's in it" thingy...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-12-2012, 01:57 AM   #127
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost
WE ARE NOT. Under the present plan. Or should I say the previous plan. Under the almost previous plan, many workers had no health insurance, many of their plans had limits on coverage or could be cancelled without explanation. None of the plans would cover children living at home up to age 26. If a worker had a preexisting condition, that worker could not get coverage.

When Obamacare goes fully into effect, all those things will no longer be true. These improvements to our health care system will impact twenty to thirty million people positively. I think it is very doubtful that the Affordable Care Act will cause massive layoffs, and all of your anecdotal evidence will not change my opinion.
You really don't know anything about the law but what you are told. All of the things you listed in your first paragraph are already implemented. As for the rest of it its not like its a surprise what is coming.

Quote:
Okay so now you are admitting it could be the cause for layoffs?...

Pray tell, based on your extensive understanding of the law, what benefits are these companies not 'realizing?' Here are the three basic scenario's again since you missed it last time around.

1) You don't offer health insurance but now you do so you have to pay part of the plan = added expense.
2) You don't offer health insurance and decide to continue not offering it and pay a $2,000 penalty for every employee you have over the 50 worker threshold = added expense.
3) You do offer health insurance (see #1) but your employee's elect not to take it for whatever reason so you pay a penalty based on the current exchange rate for health insurance in your market = added expense.

This will make the 3rd time I've explained, and been ignored, this law and how it affects companies on this thread. Not surprisingly you guys have gone from denial, to mitigating, to now blatant dismissiveness followed by baseless declarations such as this gem:

"Even if there are some layoffs initially, they will soon be reversed when companies realize the benefits of the law."

Are you really so arrogant to think that a mere platitude demonstrates your ability to "see through" a 2300 page piece of legislation and how it affects business better than the millions of real working business owners in this country?

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 11-12-2012 at 01:59 AM.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-12-2012, 02:02 AM   #128
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie
...and do the people who will not be covered by their employers realize that if they do not purchase insurance they will be penalized on their yearly taxes??
This is where it gets interesting for me. I usually work a portion of the year for very little money simply to pay for my medical care. I don't want insurance, I find it to be the root problem and much prefer to pay cash for what I want, when I want it.

Now, I have the likely opportunity to take a job that I actually like this year for the first time in a couple of years. I won't make much, but it will be just enough to probably screw me to death on this deal. So, whereas I would just have automatically given it a greenlight just because I like to do it, now I really have to sit down and decide whether or not taking the job is actually going to punish me financially.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:30 AM   #129
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Are you really so arrogant to think that a mere platitude demonstrates your ability to "see through" a 2300 page piece of legislation and how it affects business better than the millions of real working business owners in this country?
Thank you!

He presumes that the legal departments of all these multinational corporations, who have all come to the same conclusion, are in error. That somehow the fact that they have been saying for two years now that this would be the reality was just mindless drivel. Amazing stuff.

I mentioned this forced part time schedule to a restaurant employee tonight who told me that she is going to go on welfare if her company does it. She says she cannot afford a second commute.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-12-2012, 07:05 AM   #130
HUSKER55

Can someone explain this to me?

Suppose you are Red Lobster, or Cracker Barrell. When this takes affect is it the local restaurants or the chain that bears the brunt of these new fees?

Also, what about franchises like Super8 and American Inns for example.

Is a child on the parents policy till age 26 for everyone or just kids going to college?

Thanks!

No Balls.......No baby!

Have you ever noticed that those who do not have a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of always seem to know how to handle the money of those who do.
HUSKER55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #131
johnhannibalsmith

Slightly off-kilter, but interesting article with some amusing anecdotes.
For its most popular plan, which covers individuals, the payment per bi-weekly paycheck is going up by $2, or 13 percent. Other plans will see larger increases as the world's largest retailer, known for low prices, tries to control its own costs.
Wal-Mart's example could be a blueprint for other employers trying to manage their costs while also preparing to meet the requirements of President Barack Obama's U.S. Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, which was passed in 2010, and is widely referred to as Obamacare.
"I really can't even afford it now so for it to go up even a dollar for me is a stretch," said Colby Harris, who said he makes $8.90 per hour and takes home less than $20,000 per year working in Walmart's produce department in Lancaster, Texas.

Harris, a 22-year-old smoker, was set to see his cost per paycheck rise to $29.60 from $25.40. He says he has decided not to sign up for coverage. Given his low income, as Harris foregoes coverage any major medical bills could potentially fall to taxpayers through the government's Medicaid program.
Four bucks. He's a smoker, but four bucks out of his check, that's just too much so he's dropping out.

I imagine this attitude and approach is the "blueprint" for how the meat and potato, real low-to-middle-class labor force will come to understand how this works.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8MC18E20121112

Old 11-12-2012, 11:00 PM   #132
delayjf

Quote:
The only way this could benefit businesses is to put the entire mandate on the individual and leave businesses out of the equation.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-12-2012, 11:21 PM   #133
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayjf
The only way this could benefit businesses is to put the entire mandate on the individual and leave businesses out of the equation.
Top notch idea. That's too simple for pols to get.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-12-2012, 11:24 PM   #134
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie
They get a free ride if they don't have an income to a certain threshold, Donnie. The new Obamapho', is now free health insurance at the cost to you.

This is "the perfect union" schmucks and dumbasses talk about....You pay the freight for them. Forever

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/feature?...ews&id=8717859

(1). The
Act, however, bars the IRS from using several of its normal enforcement tools, such as criminal prosecutions and
levies. §5000A(g)(2). And some individuals who are subject to the mandate are nonetheless exempt from the
penalty—for example, those with income below a certain
threshold and members of Indian tribes. §5000A(e).

Last edited by ElKabong; 11-12-2012 at 11:27 PM.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #135
elysiantraveller

Damn...

So much for my Moons over my Hammy...

That sucks...
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply