Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 04-07-2015, 02:51 PM   #76
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

I don't know why you can't run that DOS utility program on a 64 bit computer with Win 7. Do DOS programs not work on a 64 bit Windows system?

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2015, 02:54 PM   #77
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

You can always just open the file in a 2007 or subsequent version of Excel, then do what you want with the data.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:15 PM   #78
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
I don't know why you can't run that DOS utility program on a 64 bit computer with Win 7. Do DOS programs not work on a 64 bit Windows system?
Yes, and, unless there is something I am missing or don't understand about INFOTRAN, it should work regardless of it being a 32- or 64-bit version of the Windows OS.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:55 PM   #79
jimmac

Infotran

This is what I get:
"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows ....
see if you need x86(32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of program, then contact the software publisher".
jimmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2015, 01:15 PM   #80
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJofSD
Yes, and, unless there is something I am missing or don't understand about INFOTRAN, it should work regardless of it being a 32- or 64-bit version of the Windows OS.
If you have a 64 bit system then you can download and try to run the Infotran utility, from the Brisnet site, for free of course. I have a 32 bit system so I can't test it.

Here's a link to the download page for the free utilities from Brisnet: http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/dynamic.cgi?page=utils

By the way, the program was created by Glenn Foote many years ago, to aid in scientific research, specifically related to the medical field. He had an interest in horse racing so decided to offer it for that purpose. It requires a text file to be written in order to select and order the fields one wants in the output, called a "control file". I've written several of those over the years, finally creating one that allowed the importation of all 1435 fields in the Brisnet csv files into pre-2007 versions of Excel (the first one to ever accomplish that task to my knowledge). Pre-2007 versions only had 254 columns while the files required 1435 columns for direct importation. The AllData Project finally accomplished the same thing, all within Excel, and without the need for Infotran or any other data parsing utility. We called that version "NI", meaning "No Infotran". That method was written by our own HCap (Harry), without whom we would still be using a data parser like Infotran. Harry really made a huge contribution to the growing spreadsheet handicapping community!

Last edited by raybo; 04-08-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:05 PM   #81
DJofSD
Screw PC

Thanks, Ray.

I just D/L and executed ITF.exe on a 32-bit W7 system, no problem.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:07 PM   #82
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

So, we know it's not Win 7 causing his problems. Must have something to do with the 64 bit machine he's running. Or, might it be something else unrelated to 64 bit processing?

Old 04-12-2015, 11:22 AM   #83
BIG49010

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
So, we know it's not Win 7 causing his problems. Must have something to do with the 64 bit machine he's running. Or, might it be something else unrelated to 64 bit processing?
For what it's worth, you can put Windows 7 - 32 bit on any 64 bit machine, and I might be wrong here that as long as your not a heavy gamer type, the difference in performance is minimal. I did it for a similar reason to this, I use a software application that you could only run on 32 bit machine, works great and I don't see any real problems with Microsoft Office Excel. The applications in the likes of Dos box, or 32 bit emulator software on a 64 bit machine were rather clunky and very slow.