Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:19 PM   #121
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
IMO...you can't be a winning horseplayer if you are not a good "loser". If losing bothers you, then you have no shot in this game...because "losing" is EXACTLY what you are going to do the vast majority of the time. What we call "discipline" is sometimes nothing more than behaving like mature players when we are LOSING.

I read comments on these pages of players who say they they "won't tolerate" losing. I say good luck to them...because they'll need it. Having a strong desire to "win" doesn't mean not tolerating losing. It means persevering THROUGH the unavoidable losing streaks, while keeping the end result in mind.

I've written about this in my column a few times, that is, you have to be a good loser to be a winner. Some of the pros I've known seem to have that cockiness about them. But, let's be honest, it has a lot of do with the amount of money you have. It's a lot easier to shrug off a few losing days if you have a lot of money.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2014, 09:48 PM   #122
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaLover
I do not think that a good handicapper is necessary a winner in this game. As an example you can use the crowd's consensus which composes the best possible handicapper but still manages to have a very negative expectation. Although they might overlap to some extend, still I view handicapping and betting expertises as distinct to each other..

Delta, just for clarification, can you explain what you mean by crowd's consensus?
Old 11-11-2014, 09:53 PM   #123
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
Delta, just for clarification, can you explain what you mean by crowd's consensus?
The ranking as it is dictated by the odds
Old 11-11-2014, 10:13 PM   #124
pandy

That's what I thought you meant. But how do you know what's a good bet off that?
Old 11-11-2014, 10:14 PM   #125
headhawg
crusty old guy

I started to write replies to some posts made here and then realized that I would just be contributing to the problem. Why does it seem that an inordinate amount of threads get taken way off topic lately with posts that are either inane or pseudointellectual?

Anyway, thanks for shipping out my order so quickly Pandy. The information in your books always add to my handicapping knowledge.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2014, 10:19 PM   #126
pandy

Thank you!
Old 11-11-2014, 10:26 PM   #127
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
That's what I thought you meant. But how do you know what's a good bet off that?
I do not imply that the ranking can reveal a good bet. Just that it makes it obvious to see where the value can be coming from and what kind of factors might be miscalculated in the specific race
Old 11-16-2014, 08:38 AM   #128
upthecreek

Aqu 11/15

Method #1 had a 8-1 winner(top pick)
Method #2 had a 6-1 winner- Method 2 there is only a single qualifier
So far results have been promising I noticed Im seeing the races/contenders more clearly
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2014, 02:42 PM   #129
Boulder

what two races at AQU did this work?
Boulder is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2014, 12:43 PM   #130
Fingal

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg
I started to write replies to some posts made here and then realized that I would just be contributing to the problem. Why does it seem that an inordinate amount of threads get taken way off topic lately with posts that are either inane or pseudointellectual?

Anyway, thanks for shipping out my order so quickly Pandy. The information in your books always add to my handicapping knowledge.
Because of reading the pages here & then the info on Pandy's website, I ordered the book & have been going over it since earlier this month. I've been working with his method, it's is very easy to follow & has resulted in some hmm..... moments.

I'm purposely being vague because since it's his idea he can choose to do with it what he will, it's not for anyone else to decide or give out any info on it. But I will say with the nominal charge it's what I call a worthy price of admission to see an idea one might be able to expand upon.
Fingal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2014, 01:42 PM   #131
pandy

As some of you know, in the book I use the Bris Race Summary, and I explain how you could adapt the methods to other past performances, such as the Daily Racing Form's. This week I looked at the Timeform US condensed pps sheet and realized this it is very good to use with my book.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:35 PM   #132
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg
Not interested in yet another group therapy session on the Psychology and Philosophy of Handicapping?

Some appear to be using this as a spot play system, but I have found it to be a useful addition to my general handicapping methods. I don't use spot plays as a rule, but this method has been a good tool to identify a contender that I might have overlooked or to eliminate border line contenders. It has also helped me to identify an occasional false favorite.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:56 PM   #133
jimmac

Speed Class handicapping

Pandy:

Purchased your book - good read.

??? Wouldn't it be quicker to chart a race if use R1 before calculating speed
since one eliminates horses if R1 is too low - but could have good speed.
Comments.

Thank you.
jimmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2014, 06:28 PM   #134
pandy

Thank you. You could do that. If you've found a way to streamline it, that works. I will occasionally bend the R1 rule a bit if the odds are right, especially if I'm just looking for good priced contenders to use in multiple race exotics. I do like looking over the speed figures first to make sure I have a good feel for the race from that perspective, but obviously you can tweak it to your own personal preferences.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:58 AM   #135
biggestal99

I did the deed and bought the book for christmas.

I use both bris and drf pp's.

I always read a new handicapping book with an open mind

Here's to your new book,

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply