Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 2.60 average.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:43 PM   #1906
formula_2002
what an easy game.

fyi

United States v. Nixon, 418 U.S. 683 (1974), was a landmark United States Supreme Court case that resulted in a unanimous decision against President Richard Nixon, ordering him to deliver tape recordings and other subpoenaed materials to a federal district court. Mar 16 2019

" I pass with relief from the tossing sea of cause and theory to the firm ground of result and fact"
Winston Churchill
formula_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2019, 11:55 PM   #1907
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula_2002 View Post
fyi

United States v. Nixon, 418 U.S. 683 (1974), was a landmark United States Supreme Court case that resulted in a unanimous decision against President Richard Nixon, ordering him to deliver tape recordings and other subpoenaed materials to a federal district court. Mar 16 2019
FYI...An apple is an apple and orange is an orange....Quit implying they're the same....Foolishness.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2019, 11:56 PM   #1908
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
fyi

FYI, due to criminal indictments of his aides. The tapes were to be used in the criminal trial against his aides. The Court did not order the tapes to be turned over for Congressional oversight purposes.

On July 24, 1974, a unanimous Court (with Justice Rehnquist not taking part due to a prior role in the Nixon administration) ruled against the President. Chief Justice Warren Burger said that the President didn’t have an absolute, unqualified privilege to withhold information.

“We conclude that when the ground for asserting privilege as to subpoenaed materials sought for use in a criminal trial is based only on the generalized interest in confidentiality, it cannot prevail over the fundamental demands of due process of law in the fair administration of criminal justice. The generalized assertion of privilege must yield to the demonstrated, specific need for evidence in a pending criminal trial,” Burger said
[emphasis added]

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/...states-v-nixon
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2019, 11:59 PM   #1909
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
FYI...An apple is an apple and orange is an orange....Quit implying they're the same....Foolishness.
Comparing apples to oranges and calling the same seems to be the prevailing logic of people with certain political leanings.

I guess they failed compare and contrast logic in school.
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington
Old 09-28-2019, 09:37 AM   #1910
formula_2002
what an easy game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post
Comparing apples to oranges and calling the same seems to be the prevailing logic of people with certain political leanings.

I guess they failed compare and contrast logic in school.
My point.

"The Court held that a claim of Presidential privilege as to materials subpoenaed for use in a criminal trial cannot override the needs of the judicial process if that claim is based, not on the ground that military or diplomatic secrets are implicated, but merely on the ground of a generalized interest in confidentiality. Nixon was then ordered to deliver the subpoenaed materials to the District Court. "

" I pass with relief from the tossing sea of cause and theory to the firm ground of result and fact"
Winston Churchill
Old 09-28-2019, 10:10 AM   #1911
formula_2002
what an easy game.

imho
Trump does not know the body and spirit of the US constitution.
He governs based on his understanding of corporate law.

"they are going to impeachment me for that!!"

"we do it to other countries" .That alone disseminates our countries strategies to other counties

Winston Churchill

Last edited by formula_2002; 09-28-2019 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:12 AM   #1912
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

And the DNC operates on the basis of it's own agenda, whether it is legal or not, and when it is not, the choose to ignore enforcing the laws, ie, sanctuary cities.

What is your point?
Old 09-28-2019, 10:52 AM   #1913
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
My point.

"The Court held that a claim of Presidential privilege as to materials subpoenaed for use in a criminal trial cannot override the needs of the judicial process if that claim is based, not on the ground that military or diplomatic secrets are implicated, but merely on the ground of a generalized interest in confidentiality. Nixon was then ordered to deliver the subpoenaed materials to the District Court. "
True. However, Congressional oversight is not a criminal hearing and there is no needs of the judiciary.

My point the Court decision is not applicable to asserting executive privilege, as to materials for use in a Congressional hearing.
George Washington
Old 09-28-2019, 10:54 AM   #1914
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
imho
Trump does not know the body and spirit of the US constitution.
He governs based on his understanding of corporate law.

"we do it to other countries" .That alone disseminates our countries strategies to other counties
Policy decisions are not grounds for impeachment. BTW the President understands the law and the spirit of the Constitution.

How about you give us an example, where the President does not understand the body and the spirit of the Constitution?
George Washington

Last edited by Show Me the Wire; 09-28-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:16 AM   #1915
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Formula, so we are clear about points. Your original posting about executive privilege concerned congressional powers and the separation of government.

For your review:

Executive privilege
Executive privilege is the right of the president of the United States and other members of the executive branch to maintain confidential communications under certain circumstances within the executive branch and to resist some subpoenas and other oversight by the legislative and judicial branches of government in pursuit of particular information or personnel relating to those confidential communications.
The right comes into effect when revealing information would impair governmental functions. Neither executive privilege nor the oversight power of Congress is explicitly mentioned in the United States Constitution.

However, the Supreme Court of the United States has ruled that executive privilege and congressional oversight each are a consequence of the doctrine of the separation of powers, derived from the supremacy of each branch in its own area of Constitutional activity.I need to get a better understand of that. Seems to me its like two knights jousting

Your next post about executive privilege concerned the interplay of the executive branch and the criminal process of the judicial branch.

My point.

You contradicted your original stated goal, by the above post, about better understanding executive privilege and oversight by the congress. Understand?
George Washington

Last edited by Show Me the Wire; 09-28-2019 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:54 AM   #1916
formula_2002
what an easy game.

Quote:
Policy decisions are not grounds for impeachment. BTW the President understands the law and the spirit of the Constitution.

How about you give us an example, where the President does not understand the body and the spirit of the Constitution?
here is just a quick two

If you don't know where those phrases come from, you are not just listening.

Winston Churchill
Old 09-28-2019, 11:58 AM   #1917
formula_2002
what an easy game.

Quote:
Formula, so we are clear about points. Your original posting about executive privilege concerned congressional powers and the separation of government.

For your review:

Executive privilege
Executive privilege is the right of the president of the United States and other members of the executive branch to maintain confidential communications under certain circumstances within the executive branch and to resist some subpoenas and other oversight by the legislative and judicial branches of government in pursuit of particular information or personnel relating to those confidential communications.
The right comes into effect when revealing information would impair governmental functions. Neither executive privilege nor the oversight power of Congress is explicitly mentioned in the United States Constitution.

However, the Supreme Court of the United States has ruled that executive privilege and congressional oversight each are a consequence of the doctrine of the separation of powers, derived from the supremacy of each branch in its own area of Constitutional activity.I need to get a better understand of that. Seems to me its like two knights jousting

Your next post about executive privilege concerned the interplay of the executive branch and the criminal process of the judicial branch.

My point.

You contradicted your original stated goal, by the above post, about better understanding executive privilege and oversight by the congress. Understand?
I feel you are shooting buck shot.

Winston Churchill
Old 09-28-2019, 12:10 PM   #1918
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
I feel you are shooting buck shot.
Why? You think comparing the interplay between the executive branch and the judicial branch results in the same interplay between the executive branch and the congressional branch.

If any body is spraying buck shot it is you.

Okay, you easily, found the decision about executive privilege not being used to impede criminal proceedings in the judicial process.

How many decisions did you find about executive privilege not being used to impeded congressional hearings?
George Washington
Old 09-28-2019, 12:47 PM   #1919
formula_2002
what an easy game.

Quote:
Why? You think comparing the interplay between the executive branch and the judicial branch results in the same interplay between the executive branch and the congressional branch.

If any body is spraying buck shot it is you.

Okay, you easily, found the decision about executive privilege not being used to impede criminal proceedings in the judicial process.

How many decisions did you find about executive privilege not being used to impeded congressional hearings?
I'm going to leave this threat I started. I have made my case, you yours, now its all up to the full body of Americans.

We have a democracy, if we can keep it.

Winston Churchill
Old 09-28-2019, 12:55 PM   #1920
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
I'm going to leave this threat I started. I have made my case, you yours, now its all up to the full body of Americans.

We have a democracy, if we can keep it.
You could have just said you were wrong. No harm in that.