Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:32 PM   #76
sandpit

I'll take the Yosemite Valley and Sequoia National Park for about 7 months and Ocho Rios Jamaica for the long winters.
sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2014, 05:19 PM   #77
Ocala Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookies

But, I'm no longer into cutting grass!
I've only got 3 acres, and most of it is pasture that the horses keep down. I'm good with the area around the house and the front and back yard as long as my riding mower holds up.

What I've got to work on, though, especially lately, is improving my ROI on the ponies so I can get the damn place paid off before I friggen' croak!
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2014, 08:25 PM   #78
GaryG
Unreconstructed

There are some beautiful towns high in the NC Smokies.....Cashiers, Dillsboro and Highlands. They are overrun with tourists but at least they bring money. Stayed at a rental cabin once high up on Mount Leconte. It was about a 5 mile hike from the end of the road. There were very limited amenities, but it was great. Needless to say that is out of the question now...
Old 05-21-2014, 09:51 PM   #79
Rookies
Canadian since 51

I've been thinking about this thread carefully. I link it to some of my thoughts on winning the Lotto.

On the whole, I neither like really hot, nor really cold temps. I dislike cold, rainy days and this past winter wore me (and millions of others down). Even if I had the millions, I'm not horribly adventurous and so wouldn't pick the Bora Boras of the world. My own city is a great one, but has been a bit overwhelming for awhile. Gotten too big, stressful and hectic, so it'll will be time to cash out and leave in the next couple of years.

Accordingly...

I REALLY enjoyed my two plus weeks in Ft. Myers in February and plan to go back for a month next year. It is simply the sweet spot of the year and Florida, warm, without the ugly humidity and super hot temps, on the Ocean, with ball parks and legal Canadian Horse gambling on the Net for a short period. And, Gulfstream is merely a blast across A.A. one way and up to Tampa another. Food and alcohol are dirt cheap. Love it.

But, I'd be outta there after March and would spend summers alternating between Niagara-on-the-Lake and Bar Harbor, with a month at the Spa in the middle. NOTL is close to the border, close to TO for any access to major sports and culture... plus relaxed and relaxing. As is Bah Hahbour.

Fall, it would be go west... old man... to the warm, temperate South West and California. Stops in Vegas during the months October- January, as well.

My wife would enjoy some... but not all of this...
Rookies is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2014, 05:44 AM   #80
judd

Sarasota fla

live on a golf course, where I could wake up have breakfast and enjoy the links, and clear blue sky
Old 05-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #81
badcompany

I see moving to Florida as a tacit admission that you've given up.

― Thomas Sowell
badcompany is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2014, 10:44 AM   #82
GaryG
Unreconstructed

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcompany
Florida AKA God's waiting room.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:03 PM   #83
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

My wife and I have had many talks about moving but we can’t seem to find a place better than where we’re at. We are 15 minutes from center city Philadelphia, so we enjoy the diversity of a big city. Plus, we are 55 minutes from the Jersey shore, where we like to go in the summer, especially Ocean City, NJ.
We spent the entire month of this April in The Villages Florida, just outside Ocala, which is nice, but my wife doesn’t want to live there year-round because of the heat and we’d don’t have the money/energy to own two houses(and do the snowbird thing). We are both in our 60’s and the plan(at this point) is to live in our modest 1000sqft, one-story, 3-bedroom twin house, for the rest of our lives and do a month in Florida in the winter, and a few weeks in Saratoga in the summer. Maybe a Euro trip occasionally.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2014, 05:06 PM   #84
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard
My wife and I have had many talks about moving but we can’t seem to find a place better than where we’re at. We are 15 minutes from center city Philadelphia, so we enjoy the diversity of a big city. Plus, we are 55 minutes from the Jersey shore, where we like to go in the summer, especially Ocean City, NJ.
We spent the entire month of this April in The Villages Florida, just outside Ocala, which is nice, but my wife doesn’t want to live there year-round because of the heat and we’d don’t have the money/energy to own two houses(and do the snowbird thing). We are both in our 60’s and the plan(at this point) is to live in our modest 1000sqft, one-story, 3-bedroom twin house, for the rest of our lives and do a month in Florida in the winter, and a few weeks in Saratoga in the summer. Maybe a Euro trip occasionally.
I'm from the Lehigh Valley originally, and your post ain't that bad. You're two hours from everywhere, and get to snowbird in winter. That's not a bad way to go, and most do it that way rather than buy in the south.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2014, 11:19 AM   #85
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6
I'd like to see one of those studies. I live in Hilton Head, which is 90% transplants, and I can count on less than one full hand the number of people who regret moving here from the north. The two that were unhappy were women with elderly parents still up north. I bet the economic demographics of those studies don't match what I am seeing here.
I've always wanted to visit HH. Have friends there who frequently urging to visit. Been to Myrtle Beach several times. Do you miss being near the "big city"? Do you take long trips every year, or just normal vacations. What are the winters like? I'd imagine, February and March can be cold there where playing games in the outdoors would be difficult most days.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #86
classhandicapper

Ideally, I would alternate between Saratoga and Del Mar every summer and Sanibel/Captiva in the winter, but since I'm bearish on the US I'm going to say somewhere in Australia close to the major racing.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:20 PM   #87
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcompany
Hey...wait a minute.

Weren't you the one who suggested that I move to Frorida so I can go treasure-hunting among all those rich widows?
Old 05-23-2014, 05:29 PM   #88
Shelby

I'm enjoying reading all of your dream places Also, it makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one NOT living where they would like to lol.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:13 PM   #89
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby
I'm enjoying reading all of your dream places Also, it makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one NOT living where they would like to lol.
I've moved six times in the last 12 years. All corporate moves. I think I'm done. Made some moves to make it so. The wife has turned down three offers in the last year to move out of Texas. It's going to take something extra special I.e. Very lucrative to get us to move again.

If you want to do it.........you'll find a way.

Last edited by JustRalph; 05-23-2014 at 07:15 PM.
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: