Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-31-2017, 02:37 AM   #1
RobertCalifornia
Journeyman

Sudden Sam

It was a pretty tragic race, Santa Anita, May 26th. When he was loading into the gate, I had taken notice, thinking how big he was and how much bigger his neck was than other horses Ive seen. In the stretch, he started moving his head side to side, noticeably different than I'd seen other horses before. Then he fell head first, front legs collapsing, was jumped by the other horse behind him, but kicked in the head. Maybe his strong neck saved him, I dont know, because he got up and was walking on his own they said. Does anyone know about the horse, is he ok? Are there sites to check on fallen horses? I know they get hurt, can handle it knowing the horses are doing what they love, but wish the public wasn't so much in the dark.

Why do horses run with their head not straight in the stretch? I've assumed it meant the horses are gasping for air, tired, but does it mean other things?
RobertCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2017, 09:54 AM   #2
Psychotic Parakeet
Sartin Methodology Fan

I unfortunately do not have the answers to your other questions, but it is confirmed he was euthanized. Most of the time, DRF or the owners of the horses will tweet that they experienced a loss.

Heat was euthanized as well on May 28th after finishing 4th. Calli's Way and Stormin Tina are also gone too. Wasn't a good holiday weekend for racing at Santa Anita.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:57 PM   #3
RobertCalifornia
Journeyman

Oh no. Knew it was too good to be true thinking Sudden Sam would survive. When I see them fall, I put them into my virtual stable hoping they'll pop up again, but might stop due to futility. At least the jockeys normally have better odds. Thanks for the post.
RobertCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote Reply