Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 08-28-2016, 12:12 PM   #1
Teach

Saratoga Live!: Sunday, August 28

Live From "The Spa"...It's Sunday Afternoon Live! With Guest Appearances By: Track Announcer: Larry Collmus; NYRA commentators: Gabby Gaudet, Maggie Wolfendale, "The Mig," Richard Migliore and Oddsmaker, Travis Stone. Jockeys: Irad and Jose Ortiz, John Velazquez, Javier Castellano, Joel Rosario, Manny Franco, Jose Lezcano, Ricardo Santana, Jr, Junior Alvarado et al. Trainers: Chad Brown, Todd Pletcher, Kiaran McLaughlin, Rudy Rodriguez, George Weaver et al. Starter Roy Robert Williamson and his assistant starters and Sam "The Bugler" Grossman. I'll be posting my first-race selections in about a half-hour.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2016, 12:44 PM   #2
Teach

Race One:

I was working in the lab, late one night
When my eyes beheld an eerie sight
For my monster from his slab...began to rise
And suddenly to my surprise
He did the mash, he did the monster mash…
It was a graveyard smash.
Bobby Pickett

Yes, my pick in the opener is: Monster Mash (or as we say in the Boston area: "Monstah Mash"). It’s hard to fault this Ghostzapper-bred, Jeremiah Englehart-trained, 7 year-old; he won his last, convincingly (several horses in this short-field race came out of that August 3 “Spa” sprint). This horse should be out and winging when the bell sounds and the gates are unlatched. Luis Saez is a good gate-jock; he should be out and sprinting for the lead with this Awesome Again-bred; he’ll be playing: “Catch-me-if-you-can”. Anything resembling that last winning effort and it should be: Katy-Bar-The Door. Yet, I have concerns. Isn’t there usually “a fly in the ointment.” (1) an abysmally slow work at Finger Lakes about a week ago in which this horse “walked” three panels in: :40.4 and (2) today’s class drop, at least according to the DRF, is “suspicious”. Other than that… Others: , ,

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 08-28-2016, 01:27 PM   #3
Teach

Race Two:

In her last, Princessoftheives ran into a traffic jam that she couldn't extricate herself from; she finished 5th, yet just a length and one-half off the winner. This Tiznow-bred bay filly now draws outside. That should keep her in "the passing lane." Jose Ortiz reprises the ride. Trainer Michele Nevin does well bothy with sprints and maiden claimers. Others: , , .

My apologies to Jason Blewitt for not giving him a mention in my Sunday Afternoon Live! Opening. Jason, you're an integral part of the NYRA team.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 08-28-2016, 02:02 PM   #4
Teach

Race Three:

Malibu Princess could "be any kinda horse". This Malibu Moon-bred filly did not disappoint in her last, a maiden-breaking 6-panels win, downstate, the afternoon before Independence Day. She went off as the slightly better than even-money fave. "El Dominicano," Joel Rosario, is in the irons for trainer Mike Mareina. Mareina does very well with maidens who won their last race. Others: , ,

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 08-28-2016, 02:32 PM   #5
Teach

Race Four:

Pawley's Express is my pick in this 7-panels sprint. A strong maiden-claiming win at first asking convinced me. If this 4 year-old bay filly doesn't "bounce"... Manny Franco's "been on the muscle," lately. Trainer Ralph Nicks does well with sprints, yet this capable trainer hasn't conditioned a winner at the Saratoga meet, yet. Others: , ,

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 08-28-2016, 03:09 PM   #6
Teach

Race Five:

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..." Opening line from Charles Dickens's "Tale Of Two Cities". I'm not sure what this has to do with the speed and endurance of thoroughbred race horses, but... Anyway. My two picks the obvious and the not so obvious. The "chalk" and a longshot. Well, you get the picture. First, "the obvious". Asset Inflation (you also get the other half of the entry (he was scratched out of a race last week). Asset Inflation won his last two on the fescue (or is it rye). This recently-claimed, Mr. Greeley-bred chestnut gelding should have unimpeded clear sailing on the outside. I suppose my only major concern is that trainer Rudy Rodriguez, who, otherwise, is having an excellent "Spa" meet, does not do particularly well with horses making turf starts. Yet, on the other hand, Rodriguez does very well with first-start claims. A solid "bullet" work instills confidence. Ah, the not so obvious. Before you start laughing. Guffawing, even. My "other" selection is Native Hawk. This Flower Alley-bred chestnut gelding has never... Nada. Nisht. Nihil (indeclinable). Yet, there is a degree of turf pedigree. Trainer Ramon Preciado is not a household name, at least at Saratoga. Yet, he doers well with horses making their third start off a layoff. Voila! Add to the equation, two-straight wins and the services of a most aggressive jock, Ricardo Santana, Jr. Others: ,

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 08-28-2016, 03:31 PM   #7
Teach

Pick Six:

Race Six: ,

Race Seven: , ,

Race Eight: , ,

Race Nine:
, ,

Race Ten:
, ,

Race Eleven: , ,

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 08-28-2016, 06:50 PM   #8
Nitro

Cool

R#11 – 3-5 W/ 11-2-9 @ 3mins to post
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2016, 07:04 PM   #9
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro
R#11 – 3-5 W/ 11-2-9 @ 3mins to post
Results:

R #11 = 11-5-10-9 - – EX BX

$2.00 EXACTA – 11-5 - $46.00

Last edited by Nitro; 08-28-2016 at 07:07 PM.
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply