Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 04-10-2022, 11:25 PM   #16
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post
The Masters has gone way overboard with the romance of their tradition. I find myself almost puking at times, with some of the comments and "analysis".

But, I'll still be watching on Sunday.
This.

And why do the commentators so incessantly deify the latest player to shoot a low round? And hand out future green jackets to everbody who makes a good shot?

Here 's a thought guys, how about some blunt critique on the reasons all these future champions didn't win THIS year's tournament.

Paging Johnny Miller.....
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2022, 12:12 AM   #17
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
This.

And why do the commentators so incessantly deify the latest player to shoot a low round? And hand out future green jackets to everbody who makes a good shot?

Here 's a thought guys, how about some blunt critique on the reasons all these future champions didn't win THIS year's tournament.

Paging Johnny Miller.....
Wow
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2022, 08:24 AM   #18
Bustin Stones

I expect announcers at Augusta to explain that it's really one golf tournament among this year's many.
But I also expect announcers at the Ky Derby to explain that it's really one horse race among this year's many.
And I expect announcers at the SB to explain that it's really one football game among this year's many.
It's as though the networks are selling commercial time for these things. And it must end.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2022, 10:08 AM   #19
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Stones View Post
I expect announcers at Augusta to explain that it's really one golf tournament among this year's many.
But I also expect announcers at the Ky Derby to explain that it's really one horse race among this year's many.
And I expect announcers at the SB to explain that it's really one football game among this year's many.
It's as though the networks are selling commercial time for these things. And it must end.
They are way too preoccupied with not saying "fan" or "back nine." The slow, premeditated way they pronounce the Augusta-mandated word "patron" would do a Stepford wife proud. It's straight up creepy.

Last edited by mountainman; 04-11-2022 at 10:13 AM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2022, 11:08 AM   #20
Bustin Stones

No one is disagreeing. I think this kind of fawning is to be expected. Especially due to the difficulty in selling golf to an average viewer. It's a slow sport. Fans are expected to be quiet and dignified. This doesn't describe America.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2022, 12:00 PM   #21
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Stones View Post
No one is disagreeing. I think this kind of fawning is to be expected. Especially due to the difficulty in selling golf to an average viewer. It's a slow sport. Fans are expected to be quiet and dignified. This doesn't describe America.

I think it would be fun to have a golf tournament where the crowd could behave like those at a college football game and see how it would effect scores.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2022, 01:17 PM   #22
Wiley
Horse Racing Connossieur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I think it would be fun to have a golf tournament where the crowd could behave like those at a college football game and see how it would effect scores.
There is a little bit of that on one of the holes, maybe 16? a par 3 in a stadium stand like setting at the Waste Management event held earlier this year in Phoenix. Most of the players appear to have fun with it, though am guessing others not so much.

Always liked Johnny Miller on the mic. Nick Faldo once in awhile has a similar style. Seems like Nantz and the young woman, Maddie?,are the biggest fawning offenders at least at Augusta.

The two hole outs on 18 by Rory and Colin were pretty amazing ends to their tournaments. Rory lit it up yesterday with a great round. Scotty just solid in all four rounds for a great win for him.
Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote Reply