Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 10-26-2021, 08:54 AM   #31
geroge.burns99
Veteran

All I can say is .....WOW!!!......Dave

One thing you didn't mention is Medicaid.....
I believe a total income less than something around 25 grand gets you in
You dont pay for anything ...just make sure everything is out of your name.

Plan G costs $280/mth ...along with a Supplement $145 / mth

you can have care free health

Thats a total of $425 / month

I doubt taking me off my wifes plan is worth it for now....

So, I would call SS and tell em to hold off Medicare enrollment for me till a future date....

The only thing I question is if all these plans will be available to me when I DO enroll???

thxs again
mike
geroge.burns99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-26-2021, 11:03 AM   #32
lamboguy

i have the same thing as Dave, except i pay $215 and i have my supplemental from Blue Cross Blueshield.

i get 2 checkups every year with all the blood tests that come with them, i also get a complete body scan out of them twice a year, to get it you have to complain about having pains. so what i do is switch my primary care physician and medical group every year and they don't give me a problem with the body scan.. if they do then i will change from Blue Cross to another company like what Dave has or Tufts.

they also pay for my Chiropractic treatment that i get twice a week. to me that treatment is like taking performance enhancement drugs. they would pay for acupuncture as well.

i am covered for everything except for Dentists and Drugs. if for some reason i want to get drugs, i will have to pay the premium for the drugs plus .35 for every month that i didn't have drug coverage. that would mean that if i want to get drug coverage after 10 years, i am going to have to pay an additional $42 per month on top of what the premium is at the time for drugs.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-26-2021, 11:13 AM   #33
cratman

Part A is free

Part A costs 0 so I would sign up for that. Covers some hospital costs. Part B is subsidized, particulalry if one does not have to pay additional premiums applicable to higher income folks.

Also consider availability in your current and future area. Some providers may not take Medicaid. Some resist taking new patients due to lower payments from certain plan, e.g., Medicare.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:14 AM   #34
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
i have the same thing as Dave, except i pay $215 and i have my supplemental from Blue Cross Blueshield.

i get 2 checkups every year with all the blood tests that come with them, i also get a complete body scan out of them twice a year, to get it you have to complain about having pains. so what i do is switch my primary care physician and medical group every year and they don't give me a problem with the body scan.. if they do then i will change from Blue Cross to another company like what Dave has or Tufts.

they also pay for my Chiropractic treatment that i get twice a week. to me that treatment is like taking performance enhancement drugs. they would pay for acupuncture as well.

i am covered for everything except for Dentists and Drugs. if for some reason i want to get drugs, i will have to pay the premium for the drugs plus .35 for every month that i didn't have drug coverage. that would mean that if i want to get drug coverage after 10 years, i am going to have to pay an additional $42 per month on top of what the premium is at the time for drugs.
Why wouldn't you get a supplement that has drugs dental vision along with the G Plan?
Old 10-26-2021, 11:20 AM   #35
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cratman View Post
Part A costs 0 so I would sign up for that. Covers some hospital costs. Part B is subsidized, particulalry if one does not have to pay additional premiums applicable to higher income folks.

Also consider availability in your current and future area. Some providers may not take Medicaid. Some resist taking new patients due to lower payments from certain plan, e.g., Medicare.

Hi Crat ....If I take A and not B
Off top of my head and reading Daves post.....

If Medicare doesnt know any of my back history then when I do enroll maybe I'll get any plan without be a risk and denied...

makes sense?

Mike
Old 10-26-2021, 11:32 AM   #36
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
A few of my servers make yearly trips home to Mexico. Before they return they call to find out what we need in our medicine cabinet.
Mostly antibiotics.

Thanks for the tip.
Yea, amoxicillin is expensive up here. Understand, presc. drugs have to be kept out of sight when going through US customs. I had a buddy from the US who specialized in getting US and foreign companies set up to operate in Nogales. He often brought a fair amount of booze back for weekend parties. He said he always kept two or three bottles to show agents, with the understanding that he's one over the limit, they'd take the extra bottle and he'd say sorry, that he forgot. There would be another five bottles tucked away under the seat or in the spare tire well.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:02 PM   #37
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeNameChanged View Post
Yea, amoxicillin is expensive up here. Understand, presc. drugs have to be kept out of sight when going through US customs. I had a buddy from the US who specialized in getting US and foreign companies set up to operate in Nogales. He often brought a fair amount of booze back for weekend parties. He said he always kept two or three bottles to show agents, with the understanding that he's one over the limit, they'd take the extra bottle and he'd say sorry, that he forgot. There would be another five bottles tucked away under the seat or in the spare tire well.
No way I'd mess around at the Mexican border....

I've watched too many movies and most times it ends bad

unless

Your Liam Neeson....he gets out of everything

Old 10-26-2021, 12:15 PM   #38
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroge.burns99 View Post
Why wouldn't you get a supplement that has drugs dental vision along with the G Plan?
i don't take prescription drugs for anything until i get to the end of the line, and let them kill me with a morphine drip.

i was supposed to be gone 35 years years ago. i never took the drugs that the doctors wanted to give me. i outlived all 6 of those doctors that wanted to give me those drugs. only one of them made it to age 60.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-26-2021, 12:19 PM   #39
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
If Medicare doesnt know any of my back history then when I do enroll maybe I'll get any plan without be a risk and denied...
You CAN'T be denied when you enroll during YOUR INITIAL OPEN ENROLLMENT PERIOD!

Quote:
Plan G costs $280/mth ...along with a Supplement $145 / mth
You don't need both.

One or the other.

$280 a month is a lot today. Shocked that yours would be so high. I guess that you are in an expensive zip code.

IF you wake up one day with ANY health issue that comes with ongoing costs, then you will need it but won't be able to get it - without gaming the system. (Which is not trivial, of course.)

My belief is that almost all of us will wake up like that some time between 65 and 75.

To paraphrase (and butcher) the Fram Oil filter commercial, "Pay me now or pay me never."

The last thing I want to be is that guy who can't afford the coverage, which leads to not getting the necessary treatment.

Last edited by Dave Schwartz; 10-26-2021 at 12:30 PM.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-26-2021, 12:28 PM   #40
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Because all of those plans are pure crap compared to the premiums they charge.

For example, if you purchase dental coverage, after (say) 6 months of payments, they might pay $100 for a filling, which would leave you about $400 short.

There just is no free lunch.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:39 PM   #41
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
Because all of those plans are pure crap compared to the premiums they charge.

For example, if you purchase dental coverage, after (say) 6 months of payments, they might pay $100 for a filling, which would leave you about $400 short.

There just is no free lunch.

Yes Dave $280 is a lot but we have, in NY , Supplement Plans that covers all my meds at no cost.....including Advair

The Plan itself is No Cost also......DRUGS VISION DENTAL

Dental I can away with spending about a $1000/year

But the drugs can wipe a person out with no coverage.....

Hospital coverage will be there but the drugs and any future ones needed is a concern....

Mike
Old 10-26-2021, 12:42 PM   #42
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
You CAN'T be denied when you enroll during YOUR INITIAL OPEN ENROLLMENT PERIOD!
If I put off the full Medicare coverage say till 3 years from now.....

will it still be called an " Initial Open Enrollment" ?
Old 10-26-2021, 01:11 PM   #43
Inner Dirt

Quote:

unless

Both my aunt and I had bad experiences at the border, mine I was walking across and was guilty of talking to a couple guys in line who the drug dog alerted on. Idiot USA border patrol agent grabbed me from behind without warning, he got an elbow to the head and knocked to the ground before I knew who he was. I then had four of them on me and I immediately gave up, but took a few shots with flashlights. I got detained for about 4 hours, the other guys had no drugs on them, probably had just smoked pot. Since we all had bet slips on us they insisted I was with them, bunch of dumb asses.

My aunt who lives in Mexico and driving to San Diego got sent to secondary inspection and had the inside of her SUV dismantled. She was another victim of a drug dog. Her crime was having art supplies, the paint must have given off a scent that the drug dog alerted on.

Not sure about now, but back then 30 years ago the border patrol was known to not pay well, and attracted the bottom of the barrel.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-26-2021, 01:32 PM   #44
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:

unless

But he gets FREE MEDICAL COVERAGE because he sends in so many "referrals!"

Old 10-26-2021, 01:43 PM   #45
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
If I put off the full Medicare coverage say till 3 years from now.....

will it still be called an " Initial Open Enrollment" ?
No.
You will have to show evidence of insurability.

Quote:
Hospital coverage will be there but the drugs and any future ones needed is a concern....
My sister-in-law had a car accident a year ago. Head-on collision.

29 days in trauma at $40k per day.
7 surgeries thus far.

Just a WAG but she's well past $2m.
By comparison, drugs are NOTHING.

Last edited by Dave Schwartz; 10-26-2021 at 01:45 PM.