Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 10-25-2021, 07:24 AM   #16
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeNameChanged View Post
I worked in Nogales, Az, and Nogales,Mx over a two year period. A lot of the Arizona residents went to buy their prescription drugs down in Mx for huge savings. A co-worker stopped to pick up his wife's Insulin, and a couple of other prescriptions before crossing back into the states. I went into the Nogales, Mx drug store with him, and it was spotless, very upscale.
Same thing for booze. I believe they only allowed two bottles.
A few of my servers make yearly trips home to Mexico. Before they return they call to find out what we need in our medicine cabinet.
Mostly antibiotics.

Thanks for the tip.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2021, 07:44 AM   #17
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cratman View Post
I assume that you are talking about part B. If so, the premium increases every year you do not sign up. You should consider this, particulalry if your wife's plan does not provide coverage for retirees.
Quote:
I worked in Nogales, Az, and Nogales,Mx over a two year period. A lot of the Arizona residents went to buy their prescription drugs down in Mx for huge savings. A co-worker stopped to pick up his wife's Insulin, and a couple of other prescriptions before crossing back into the states. I went into the Nogales, Mx drug store with him, and it was spotless, very upscale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
A few of my servers make yearly trips home to Mexico. Before they return they call to find out what we need in our medicine cabinet.
Mostly antibiotics.

Thanks for the tip.
thanks guys....
geroge.burns99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2021, 11:01 AM   #18
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
i won't take any drugs but i had an infection in my mouth and the dentist said i needed a z pac and antibiotics. so he asked me where i go for prescriptions, i told him at the CVS near my house. so i go to the CVS to pick up my prescription, the lady in the nice white coat tells me i owe her $117 for those 2 prescriptions after the automatic discount. i looked at her and said you must think i am an idiot. she says wait a minute and she goes back to her computer monitor and comes back with a price of $42 for the same thing she wanted $117 for 2 minutes prior. i told her to hold on, i called the pharmacy at COSTCO and asked them what they charged for those 2 prescriptions, the 7 day supply of IC Amoxillin was $12 and z-pac was another $9. i told the pharmacist and she matched the price. i walked out of the CVS paying less than $25.

most people don't question their pharmacies. on these 2 prescriptions, i doubt if an insurance company gives CVS $5 for both these scripts.

if you have to take Advair or any other drug for that matter, i would shop around and get better deals. i suspect you will be able to buy that in the United States for less than what you would pay online in Canada and be guaranteed that the drug you are taking meets whatever FDA standards there are. --

CVS has is usually the high price leader on most prescription drugs, I don't see how they stay in business. Even their OTC stuff is sky high.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2021, 11:35 AM   #19
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
CVS has is usually the high price leader on most prescription drugs, I don't see how they stay in business. Even their OTC stuff is sky high.
With all the money the drug business makes, ya think that they can make things easier for the cash paying people...

I'm sure they are ripping off insurance plans left and right....

What about a Mom & Pop Pharmacy....Better?

Last edited by geroge.burns99; 10-25-2021 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-25-2021, 12:53 PM   #20
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oughtoh View Post
Medicare refused to pay for my lancets, needle to check my blood sugar, after over a year of using them. The pharmacy said they are refusing to pay and I should just use a knife or something to prick my finger. Weird thing is, they paid their portion for the strips to take my blood.
Walmart has good prices.

https://www.google.com/search?q=reli...hrome&ie=UTF-8

OR, get a new pet....

Last edited by Tom; 10-25-2021 at 12:54 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2021, 02:10 PM   #21
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroge.burns99 View Post
With all the money the drug business makes, ya think that they can make things easier for the cash paying people...

I'm sure they are ripping off insurance plans left and right....

What about a Mom & Pop Pharmacy....Better?

I used the local Mom & Pop pharmacy for about a half dozen years, then the doctor next door lost his license and that took the pharmacy down with him.
I just go to Walmart now, they definitely are by far the cheapest for diabetic supplies. That Mom & Pop pharmacy was only 30% more than Walmart, for cash paying customers CVS is more than double Walmart for what I buy.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2021, 03:29 PM   #22
TJDave

Quote:
From personal experience I would not trust drugs purchased in Mexico. Chances of outright counterfeiting and dose tampering are high, especially in border areas. When it comes to your health a bargain is not always a bargain.
Old 10-25-2021, 04:31 PM   #23
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
I used the local Mom & Pop pharmacy for about a half dozen years, then the doctor next door lost his license and that took the pharmacy down with him.
I just go to Walmart now, they definitely are by far the cheapest for diabetic supplies. That Mom & Pop pharmacy was only 30% more than Walmart, for cash paying customers CVS is more than double Walmart for what I buy.
I take a medication called Jardiance. It is listed at my local pharmacy as $562 per month.

I get it thru https://www.planetdrugsdirect.com/. The cost is $206 (including shipping) for a 3-month supply.

That's a savings of 92%.

The drug is manufactured in Turkey.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2021, 07:58 PM   #24
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
I take a medication called Jardiance. It is listed at my local pharmacy as $562 per month.

I get it thru https://www.planetdrugsdirect.com/. The cost is $206 (including shipping) for a 3-month supply.

That's a savings of 92%.

Thxs for the link Dave

My Advair will cost $143 for 3 months....

Good to know this.....will add to the thinking

PS-Advair is from India

Mike
Old 10-25-2021, 09:40 PM   #25
lamboguy

Quote:
by the time the patient walks in the door to a CVS. the poor sucker has already been emotionally drained by the doctors he just visited. the poor mark just wants to end the ordeal and go home to his family and put the whole thing behind them. they are catching people that are weak. they have no idea that they can argue down the price that they are getting screwed for.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2021, 10:02 PM   #26
Longshot6977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post

That's a savings of 92%.

I get my Jardiance from a free plan called AARP Medicare Advantage Choice PPO. It costs me just $45/month for Jardiance.

Mike, try out the Freestyle Libre sensor discs. My wife uses them and gets them for free from the manufacturer every 3 months. It's easy to qualify for free from their patient program.

As a matter of fact, she gets ALL of her diabetic injector pens free from the manufacturer's patient assistance programs. We just got $7,000 worth of pens last week for her. Just do your research/homework on this stuff.

With the Freestyle discs there's no more finger pricking or blood to get from the silly lancets. The disc sticks on your arm. The kit comes with an electronic reader(or just use the app on your smartphone). Swipe the disc whenever you want an instant blood sugar reading. No more silly lancets or test strips that never work many times.
Longshot6977 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-26-2021, 12:33 AM   #27
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
I get my Jardiance from a free plan called AARP Medicare Advantage Choice PPO. It costs me just $45/month for Jardiance.
That's excellent.

All of this conversation appears to be about getting coverage for AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE.

I took a very different road.

What I wanted the best coverage I could afford considering that (logically) my health care costs will get worse.

So, after researching it thoroughly, I signed up for "Column F" coverage before starting Medicare. (That was 5 years ago.)
Just like horse racing, I research stuff deeply.

PART 1: Column F - I pay ZERO
$211 monthly premium
$0 deductible
0% co-pay
No Network, no PPO, no HMO.

So, what I purchased was ZERO DEDUCTIBLE, ZERO CO-PAY coverage. This "supplement" (sold by AARP but fulfilled in NV by United Health Care) was $141 my first year and is now up to $211.

Specifically, this means that anything Medicare covers, this supplement pays 100% of the difference. IOW, my healthcare costs are covered 100% between Medicare & the supplement.

(Yes, I still pay the normal Medicare costs.)
(No, it does not include meds.)

I am diabetic - not horribly so - but still, it comes with costs.

In a typical year, I average 24 doctor visits.

Eye dr.
sleep doc
Dermo 4x
physiatrist (back pain)
podiatrist 5x
Family Physician 6x
etc.
(Fortunately, no cardiologist)
I pay zero for anything.
And Medicare pretty much covers everything.
The bad news is that Column F coverage is no longer taking enrollments. Although they cannot cancel me, the premiums will rise even more over the next few years.

The good news is that column G is even better.

PART 2: COLUMN G COVERAGE
Premium =$135
$168 = Deductible
$168 = Max Out-of-Pocket per year
No prescription coverage
Includes office visits.
No Network, no PPO, no HMO.
Beth (my wife) is 4 years younger than me. When I found out 2 years ago that they were going to phase out Column F this year, we switched her to Column G.

So, she pays $135 per month and, for the year, that $168 deductible represents 100% of everything she will pay!

Last year she had a full knee replacement. Cost was $102,000. She paid ZERO.
Not a single cent.

Two years ago she had a 2nd bariatric surgery. Cost was $60k+. She paid zero.

She has had 2 balloon sinuplasty surgeries - basically a roto-rooter for your sinus. $32,000 each. Paid zero.

We did have to pay $1,500 x 2 for her cataract surgeries, because she got the upgraded lenses - which Medicare doesn't cover.
Column G is the coverage that you want.

PART 3: The Harsh Realities

Here it comes.
We are aging and with that aging comes health issues.
Considering my weight, I have been extremely fortunate to maintain my health to the level I have.

(Example: My normal blood pressure (w/o meds) is 114/76, pulse 76 - about 2 points higher than I was at age 25 when I was breaking boards and bricks, and training 25 hours per week.)

But I do have health challenges as a result of the diabetes, such as eczema. (Which btw, I have all but reversed with mega doses of vitamin B12. A story for another day.)

The point is that my good health will not last forever, and either will yours.

I strongly suggest that you do not look for the cheap alternative, nor the one you need today. Instead, buy the one you will LIKELY NEED TOMORROW.

*** If you buy an HMO, doctors will make decisions about your treatment plan based upon THEIR PROFITABILITY. Bad idea.

*** If you buy a PPO, then you must see doctors & facilities within your network. Again, bad idea.

*** If you buy an Advantage Plan, that will be dirt cheap or even free. But, when... emphasis WHEN... your health begins to fail, you will not be able to upgrade your coverage to a better plan. Even a worse idea.

*** Medigap is the way. Sure, it costs more. But you will need it someday. And, if you don't, then you will have had a geriatric lifetime free of medical cost fears.

PART 4: UNDERSTANDING & GAMING THE SYSTEM
Yes, the system can be played.

So, a couple of things you should know...

1. When you first sign up for Medicare, which you do before your 65th birthday month, you can choose ANY PLAN and get it for the base rate without showing any evidence of insurability.
That simply means, they can't exclude you or raise your rates because of a health issue.
2. AFTER SIGNING UP, ALL THAT WILL CHANGE.
If you develop a health issue that comes with long-term costs, it is very unlikely that any company will take you if you decide to upgrade.
3. After the 1st year, there is an OPEN ENROLLMENT period towards the end of the year. Basically, the last 2 months - Nov & Dec.

During this period you can switch companies and plans providing you are a good enough health risk.

Something you probably don't know: If you don't like your plan, you have about 45 days to switch back to your old company. IOW, Feb 14 is the drop dead date for the switch back. Not sure how they handle weekends.

Important: They have to take you back.

5. HERE COMES THE GAMING PART
Let's say that you have been on Medicare for at several years. Your coverage this year is an inexpensive supplement.

That was a great deal for you until you had a heart attack last year. You recovered but now you have two things: unpaid bills to the tune of (say) $200k and a heart condition.

(Could also be cancer or some other condition with a likelihood of returning. The kind of history which makes you a bad insurance risk.)

Or maybe (like me) you have diabetes.

So, now, you really wish you could switch to one of those cool, column G plans and have EVERYTHING covered.

You have applied and were rejected. And, if you are a bad risk, you WILL be rejected.

So, you are stuck for life, right?

WELL, THERE IS A WAY TO GAME THE SYSTEM but it will take some work.

Let's say that you want a column G plan. Pick a place on the map that DOES NOT have the coverage you currently have and move there.
HUH?

Yes, I said MOVE THERE.

See, if YOUR CURRENT COVERAGE isn't offered in the place where you move, that means you have a short period of time to pick any other plan that is available and they have to take you!

Now, for the fine print.
a. Short period of time = 63 days.

b. You must be able to prove that you actually lived there for 3 months.

c. During this 63 days you are, effectively, back in the OPEN ENROLLMENT situation that you were in when you first signed up for Medicare.

d. Yes, I know. You want to live where you live now.
Fine. After living in the other place for 3 months (or more) you can MOVE BACK and, once again, you get a NEW OPEN ENROLLMENT period!

IOW, you can get the plan you want --- COLUMN G or whatever --- despite the fact that you are uninsurable.

They cannot refuse you.

e. There may be some other fine print - depending upon which state you live in - and whether or not the state insurance commissioner's office is more interested in helping consumers or companies - so read up.
Okay.
I'm done.

Understand that I am NOT the last word on this stuff.

Find yourself an agent that specializes in Medicare coverage who will spend the necessary hours to answer your questions.
What I did was a bunch of research back in the Obama Care days and then went asking for help from agents. The 3rd one gave me the answers that I already knew to be true and I committed to her for life.
I hope this helps someone. Burnsy, specifically, you.
(And my wonderful & longtime friend who is currently battling cancer.)

Regards to All,
Dave Schwartz

Last edited by Dave Schwartz; 10-26-2021 at 12:36 AM.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-26-2021, 07:04 AM   #28
garyscpa

Thank you for taking the time to post that, Dave.
garyscpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-26-2021, 07:23 AM   #29
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
From personal experience I would not trust drugs purchased in Mexico. Chances of outright counterfeiting and dose tampering are high, especially in border areas. When it comes to your health a bargain is not always a bargain.
There is a certain seal that must be intact. My servers have shown it to me , but you almost have to have a black light to see it.

They tell me it’s the narcotics and hard to find stuff you need to worry about. I’m sure you’re right though Dave
Old 10-26-2021, 07:37 AM   #30
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Dave Schwartz. I’m going to archive this thread. Thanks.

Great stuff from everybody.