Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 10-24-2021, 10:31 AM   #1
46zilzal
velocitician

9 overtime periods?

Don't think I ever heard it taking 9 overtime periods to settle a college game before (Penn State vs. Illinois)
Old 10-24-2021, 10:54 AM   #2
CheckMark

According to the NCAAF website for how overtime works

If a game is tied at the conclusion of four quarters, it goes to overtime.
The officials will invite each team's captains (no more than four per team) to the 50-yard line for the overtime coin toss. The designated field captain for the visiting team will call heads or tails. The winning team of the coin toss can either decide to play offense or defense, or which end of the field will be used for both possessions of that overtime period. The decision cannot be deferred.

The team that loses the coin toss will exercise the remaining option (e.g. If the winning team decides to play offense/defense, the losing team will decide which end of the field will be used, and vice versa).
Overtime periods consist, through the first two if necessary, of a two-possession series with each team getting one possession on offense and one on defense. The team on offense will always start at the designated 25-yard line (unless relocated by a penalty). The team on offense can choose to start its possession with the football anywhere on or between the hash marks.

Each team will receive one timeout for every overtime period. Timeouts not used during regulation cannot be used during overtime and an unused timeout allotted for one overtime period cannot be carried over to another overtime period. Timeouts used between overtime periods will be charged to the succeeding period.
Each team retains the ball until it scores or fails to make a first down.
The team that scores the most points during regulation and overtime wins the game. If the game is still tied after an overtime period, there will be another overtime period.

In 2021, the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved a change to overtime rules. Teams will be required to run a 2-point conversion play after a touchdown when a game reaches a second overtime period. Previously, a 2-point attempt was required after the third overtime period.
Also established in 2021, if the game reaches a third overtime, teams will run alternating 2-point plays, instead of starting another drive at the opponent’s 25-yard line. This is a change from the previous rule, which started to use 2-point plays in the fifth overtime period.
Old 10-24-2021, 11:32 AM   #4
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I watched it live.

That 2 point conversion shit was fun to watch.

The QB’s on both sides played like crap during the 2 point OT’s.

It should have ended much earlier
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2021, 12:10 PM   #5
Marshall Bennett

Watched it as well. What a game. Had the Hoosiers +21 on my college pool.
Also, Kansas (considered one of the worst Div. 1 teams) had Oklahoma on the rails till late in the game.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-27-2021, 07:38 AM   #6
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I was a little disappointed in this new format. If the intent is to shorten the after-regulation period, it sure didn't work that way. There was no flow, no set-up plays, not a whole lot of guesswork for the defenses; and the one end to the other was a waste of time, too.

I could be sold on four plays from the maybe, after the first two periods. But I'm not a fan of what I saw on Saturday.

From CheckMark's post: 'Also established in 2021, if the game reaches a third overtime, teams will run alternating 2-point plays, instead of starting another drive at the opponent’s 25-yard line. This is a change from the previous rule, which started to use 2-point plays in the fifth overtime period.

I don't think I've seen a fifth OT recently, 'cause I'm sure I hadn't seen that until last w/e.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-27-2021, 11:45 AM   #7
Marshall Bennett

I prefer the old system with no overtime. If the game ends in a tie that's how it goes on the record.
Frankly, I don't care how they treat overtime in the NFL. The old system of sudden death only in playoffs has always been fine with me.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply