Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-28-2021, 10:23 PM   #16
judehaz

I think the new guy (Bobbie) is really improving. Energy is better, calls are solid (no mistakes or miscues) and his overall tone is getting more and more exciting. Let the dude find his footing. It's a hard job that's easy to criticize. He's filling in admirably and getting better every race card. I'm a fan
judehaz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2021, 10:45 PM   #17
FRMNBRI

I watch Mountaineer from time to time and definitely miss Peter Berry. I remember a few years ago when he was calling a race and swallowed a moth mid race. Classic. The new guy is struggling but I think slowly getting better. Very slowly. However I would listen to him any day before the announcer at Evangeline. He drives me nuts, and last week I was rooting for the horse he said was 6 lengths in front. I couldn't tell bc it was a bad camera angle. Low and behold it was actually the horse that was 6 lengths in front. Horrible
FRMNBRI is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2021, 10:37 AM   #18
Inner Dirt

I think calling a horse race is a very difficult job. The guy who stood out to me was a radio caller named Bill Garr who called races on a radio show out of SoCal back in the day. He would make every race sound like it ended in a multi horse blanket finish even if they were spread out like a boat race. It would drive me nuts, especially if I had made bets and left the track and relied on his show for results. You could have a lone F who no one ever got close to win by a half dozen and he would have you sweating bullets the whole way.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2021, 10:43 AM   #19
Cuffdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I think calling a horse race is a very difficult job. The guy who stood out to me was a radio caller named Bill Garr who called races on a radio show out of SoCal back in the day. He would make every race sound like it ended in a multi horse blanket finish even if they were spread out like a boat race. It would drive me nuts, especially if I had made bets and left the track and relied on his show for results. You could have a lone F who no one ever got close to win by a half dozen and he would have you sweating bullets the whole way.
The beauty of race recreation! The winner came from wherever Garr wanted, annoying yes.

The best in LA area was Jay Richards from Horse and Jockey, boy could he come up with some crazy calls. My brother and I would tune in nightly after making picks in the morning via the LA Times. Can still hear it now "Horse and Jockey, a powerful source for winners"

Last edited by Cuffdaddy; 07-29-2021 at 10:44 AM.
Cuffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2021, 11:50 AM   #20
outofthebox

Quote:
Under hand boot and whip! I enjoyed his weekend stakes races when he had guests on the show..
outofthebox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2021, 11:53 AM   #21
outofthebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffdaddy View Post
The beauty of race recreation! The winner came from wherever Garr wanted, annoying yes.

The best in LA area was Jay Richards from Horse and Jockey, boy could he come up with some crazy calls. My brother and I would tune in nightly after making picks in the morning via the LA Times. Can still hear it now "Horse and Jockey, a powerful source for winners"
Remember that well! There was also another recreation show with a father son team named Williams...
outofthebox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2021, 12:56 PM   #22
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
Under hand boot and whip! I enjoyed his weekend stakes races when he had guests on the show..

I used to listen in the late 70's early 80's on a 1940's vintage radio that had vacuum tubes in on KIEV870 in Glendale and I was all the way out in Hemet.
That is probably 80 miles as the crow flies and that station wasn't that powerful. The radio in my truck picked up mostly static, it came in loud and clear on that old radio. You could also catch the stretch calls on KNX AM 1070 15 minutes before and 15 minutes after the hour.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 07-29-2021 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:57 PM   #23
mountainman

I'm not denying anybody the right to criticize whomever they wish. But I will say Pete might more appreciate and well deserves expressions of encouragement and respect for his work.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2021, 03:08 PM   #24
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
I'm not denying anybody the right to criticize whomever they wish. But I will say Pete might more appreciate and well deserves expressions of encouragement and respect for his work.
Well said!

I've always liked the way he calls races.

Beyond that, in my very limited communications with him, he seems to be a man of honor and integrity.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2021, 03:50 PM   #25
Inner Dirt

Quote:

LA Times? I always bought the LA Herald Examiner, that was the newspaper for sports gamblers, all my betting friends and I were bummed when it stopped printing in the late 80's.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:46 PM   #26
Cuffdaddy

Quote:
LA Times? I always bought the LA Herald Examiner, that was the newspaper for sports gamblers, all my betting friends and I were bummed when it stopped printing in the late 80's.
Most definitely it was, but folks had LA Times delivered. It had entries and believe it was Bob Mieserski who made the picks, I was only about 9 years old at the time with a 18 year old brother. So my picks were just for fun but would listen nightly, little did he or my parents know that i would eventually be consumed with racing.
This was around the mid 70's, by 13 or 14 I was working part time in marketing department for Santa Anita. They hired local kids to man the stations on all the promotion days.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:52 PM   #27
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Most definitely it was, but folks had LA Times delivered. It had entries and believe it was Bob Mieserski who made the picks, I was only about 9 years old at the time with a 18 year old brother. So my picks were just for fun but would listen nightly, little did he or my parents know that i would eventually be consumed with racing.
This was around the mid 70's, by 13 or 14 I was working part time in marketing department for Santa Anita. They hired local kids to man the stations on all the promotion days
Kind of a cool story.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2021, 06:22 PM   #28
Inner Dirt

Quote:
This was around the mid 70's, by 13 or 14 I was working part time in marketing department for Santa Anita. They hired local kids to man the stations on all the promotion days.

Bob Mieserski definitely rings a bell. He went to the Times after the Herald Examiner closed down. Back in the day the newspaper handicappers had a lot of influence. I was always hoping most did not like the horse I liked. I am definitely envious of you working at Santa Anita as a teenager. I have never lived close to a horse track, first track trip was at 14 my step dad took me to Los Alamitos in 1975. I was immediately hooked as I nailed a $57 winner. My step dad then informed me someone cashing a decent ticket buys a round. It took me over 10 years to exceed that $57 win price, beginners luck at it's finest.
Old 07-29-2021, 06:41 PM   #29
Cuffdaddy

Quote:
Bob Mieserski definitely rings a bell. He went to the Times after the Herald Examiner closed down. Back in the day the newspaper handicappers had a lot of influence. I was always hoping most did not like the horse I liked. I am definitely envious of you working at Santa Anita as a teenager. I have never lived close to a horse track, first track trip was at 14 my step dad took me to Los Alamitos in 1975. I was immediately hooked as I nailed a $57 winner. My step dad then informed me someone cashing a decent ticket buys a round. It took me over 10 years to exceed that $57 win price, beginners luck at it's finest.
Yes, I believe I was confused when Bob went to the Times. I cannot recall who did then horse racing picks back then. Working at Santa Anita was the most exciting times and so much fun at that age.
When there were no promotions to work they would have us sort thru huge stacks of fan entries into various contests and extract the doubles by hand and memory, real accurate.
We grew up in a town called Temple City which is just below Arcadia, think of it as much more low middle class. I lived on a side of the street that was in Arcadia school district.
I see from your other posts that you frequented Los Al. We most certainly have crossed paths as I did the go to SA during day they drive to Los Al at night regularly. From the age 16 to 35 I was all about the track, world revolved around it. Great times!

Last edited by Cuffdaddy; 07-29-2021 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:05 PM   #30
v j stauffer

Quote:
Yes, I believe I was confused when Bob went to the Times. I cannot recall who did then horse racing picks back then. Working at Santa Anita was the most exciting times and so much fun at that age.
When there were no promotions to work they would have us sort thru huge stacks of fan entries into various contests and extract the doubles by hand and memory, real accurate.
We grew up in a town called Temple City which is just below Arcadia, think of it as much more low middle class. I lived on a side of the street that was in Arcadia school district.
I see from your other posts that you frequented Los Al. We most certainly have crossed paths as I did the go to SA during day they drive to Los Al at night regularly. From the age 16 to 35 I was all about the track, world revolved around it. Great times!
Bob Miserski was one of many Southern Ca. Handicappers published in papers. Others were Jerry Antonucci, Ernie Mason, Gordon Jones, Warren Eves, Mike Superstein, Lucky Louise (supposedly Ernie Mason's wife). I'm sure I'm forgetting others. A great time in So. Cal Racing. Bion Abbott was the racing writer for the LA Times but didn't handicap. Gordon

Miserski ended up being the director of publicity during the final years of Betfair Hollywood Park and IMO did an excellent job.

Race results, stretch runs would be broadcast every half hour on KNX 1070. Boy do I remember listening for those.

The race re-creation show I remember was sponsored Turf Craft and hosted by the great Danny Baxter. His re-creations were epic. Always followed by "another Turf Craft winner" They seemed to hit every race! The Pappy Parker Special. The Play of the Day. The Clockers inside secret play.

Guys would stand on the side of the road by a sign selling the picks on the streets around Del Mar.

My buddies once pooled our money and paid $50.00 for the Best Bet of the day. We couldn't lose because if the horse lost we'd actually be better off because we'd get the rest of the meeting absolutely free!

He did lose at 3/5. His name was White Hot and we weren't better off.

Great days!