Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-11-2021, 06:33 PM   #241
ctownraces@bp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Berry View Post
I will resume race calling at Mountaineer Tuesday night. Thanks so much for everyone’s support.
great and well deserved
ctownraces@bp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-11-2021, 09:21 PM   #242
Big Russ

Quote:
I will resume race calling at Mountaineer Tuesday night. Thanks so much for everyone’s support.
Outstanding news!
Big Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-11-2021, 09:27 PM   #243
wisconsin

Wonderful news!
Old 10-11-2021, 11:29 PM   #244
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Thanks for the great update, Peter. Looking forward to tomorrow evening.

Old 10-11-2021, 11:57 PM   #245
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

Quote:
Looking forward to hearing you say Charlie Oliveros!
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2021, 12:26 AM   #246
trifecta

Good news, Peter. Congratulations.
trifecta is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2021, 11:52 AM   #247
BarchCapper

I definitely welcome the return of Peter tonight to what I consider to be an ideal broadcast team perfectly suited for a relaxing evening of unwinding and watching races.

To be fair to the much-maligned substitute (Bobby ??), it had seemed to me recently that his calls had gotten better from the point when he was thrust into the position. I went back and watched a few of those old ones before watching last night's card, and Monday's calls were definitely leaps and bounds over the earlier efforts. Still a few stumbles, but I thought the "can you see the race if you close your eyes and just listen" test had gotten to a passing grade. YMMV. I know *I'd* have trouble calling a two-horse race well, so appreciate anyone who gives it their best.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2021, 12:09 PM   #248
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
I definitely welcome the return of Peter tonight to what I consider to be an ideal broadcast team perfectly suited for a relaxing evening of unwinding and watching races.

To be fair to the much-maligned substitute (Bobby ??), it had seemed to me recently that his calls had gotten better from the point when he was thrust into the position. I went back and watched a few of those old ones before watching last night's card, and Monday's calls were definitely leaps and bounds over the earlier efforts. Still a few stumbles, but I thought the "can you see the race if you close your eyes and just listen" test had gotten to a passing grade. YMMV. I know *I'd* have trouble calling a two-horse race well, so appreciate anyone who gives it their best.
Believe it or not, there simply WAS nobody else willing to fill in-not under the circumstances. Bobby knows his limitations and deserves credit for stepping into that maelstrom.

Last edited by mountainman; 10-12-2021 at 12:10 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2021, 12:16 PM   #249
Boomer

Bobby, speaking for myself and I am sure most of the board, you sound like a real trooper.

Replacing an icon is never easy. There was nothing personal here, and if it is your desire to be an announcer, bring in some of your own personality, knowledge and color.

Being a beginner, and I assume you were, you did fine. Bur this community has a loyalty to certain people. Unusual to say the least in this business but that is what you walked into.

All the best!
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2021, 01:06 PM   #250
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Bobby, speaking for myself and I am sure most of the board, you sound like a real trooper.

Replacing an icon is never easy. There was nothing personal here, and if it is your desire to be an announcer, bring in some of your own personality, knowledge and color.

Being a beginner, and I assume you were, you did fine. Bur this community has a loyalty to certain people. Unusual to say the least in this business but that is what you walked into.

All the best!
Bobby is about 55, a youthful 50, and having been raised on waterford/mountaineer, loves this place with his entire being. Bobby long ago filled in VERY occasionally as the back-up announcer (nobody said "caller" then), and reluctantly upended his civilian life ( he is married and years ago moved out of this immediate area) to serve this place in a limited and thankless capacity.

Bobby has no clue that places like Pace Advantage even exist, so it's been easy to shield him from the sort of vitriol that would literally break his soul. But there could be no protecting him from his own criticism. Most nights at the time clock he seems visibly disappointed, if not outright distraught about his performance. And he has busted his ass to get better, while harboring NO (ZERO) ambition to become QB1. Or even QB2, to be honest about it.

Tx, Boom, for your kind "ode to Bobby." I will pass the sentiments along.

Last edited by mountainman; 10-12-2021 at 01:11 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2021, 05:32 PM   #251
Boomer

Ok Mountain Nation,

In honor of Peters return I will start a Mountain Madness thread in the handicapping section.

Join in and lets hit some of these Mountain races

For those who have never listened to Mark. He is in a class by himself so my opinions at least should not replace Mark's suggestions.

I always handicap first, listen to Mark before I bet. My choices will be posted prior to Marks'.

Going out for a swim. Be back around 630 at the handicapping section

Be there!
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2021, 06:34 PM   #252
jameegray1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Figure View Post
Looking forward to hearing you say Charlie Oliveros!
It only took him 3 minutes!
jameegray1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2021, 07:02 PM   #253
westernmassbob

I swear when I listened to that fill In announcer he sounded like Hank from “ King of the Hill”. Good luck to him wherever he ends up. WELCOME BACK PB !!
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2021, 07:43 PM   #254
tbwinner

Ever since I started playing I noted Peter as an exceptional caller and wondered why he was stuck in a dump like Mountaineer (no offense Mark). But he along with Mark (and formerly Nancy) were the only reason I would have MNR playing in the background while cooking dinner. The calls were precise, accurate, and clear. Glad he's back !!!!
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2021, 09:35 PM   #255
dlisenberg

Glad you are back

Great to hear you back Peter.

What happened to Nancy Mcmichael?
dlisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: