Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 05-15-2018, 08:39 PM   #16
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

What else is gone now?

Turf and Sport Sport Digest was a god one. Of course, Racing Action with Pandy's figs (which made me a lot of money at Aqueduct!).

There was a 4 page one every week that had a column by Joe Conte "Vertex" and a system developed totally around one recent winner!

There was another mag, can't remember the name, cheaper paper and mostly lists of horse to watch and article like Money Makes the Mare Go! and other books for sale.

Oh, and HorsePlayer Magazine. Loved the way they always shipped an issue for BC the day AFTER BC! LOL!

Last edited by Tom; 05-15-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2018, 09:21 AM   #17
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
I wrote a lot of articles on thoroughbred handicapping for ATM, and then I had a regular harness racing column until they stopped the print edition. They had some good editors, good guys.
The editor I remember most is Ian Blair. I got along very well with him.

I also did a lot of stuff for Horseplayer. For the three years before they folded I was assigned to handicap the BC Juvenile Fillies Turf. I did pretty well with that in the magazine. I still do well on that race.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2018, 09:23 AM   #18
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
What else is gone now?

Turf and Sport Sport Digest was a god one. Of course, Racing Action with Pandy's figs (which made me a lot of money at Aqueduct!).

There was a 4 page one every week that had a column by Joe Conte "Vertex" and a system developed totally around one recent winner!

There was another mag, can't remember the name, cheaper paper and mostly lists of horse to watch and article like Money Makes the Mare Go! and other books for sale.

Oh, and HorsePlayer Magazine. Loved the way they always shipped an issue for BC the day AFTER BC! LOL!
Are you thinking of the Racing Post?
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2018, 09:25 AM   #19
upthecreek

Quote:
What else is gone now?

There was the Carter Riley Club newsletter with 4 pages , I think, of horses to watch
upthecreek is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2018, 10:07 AM   #20
GaryG
Unreconstructed

Anyone old enough to remember Turf Guide? I got caught reading it in history class. It was on pulp paper and also pimped books by some of their writers. Not nearly in the class of T&SD or even American Turf.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:11 PM   #21
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Quote:
What else is gone now?

Racing Star, same pub as American Turf
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2018, 12:13 PM   #22
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
Are you thinking of the Racing Post?
No, TURF GUIDE - Gary got it!
It had every horsey cliche in the book in it!
Old 05-16-2018, 12:17 PM   #23
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonKelsey View Post
Racing Star, same pub as American Turf
Yup!
Some of those columns by Vertex were hard to understand what the heck he was talking about.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:58 AM   #24
AskinHaskin

Quote:
What else is gone now?

Turf and Sport Digest was a go(o)d one.

Somebody recently gave me two copies of Turf and Sport Digest from 1945, and from 1950.

One has Heliopolis on the cover, while in the back it has some "rating" for what must be thousands of individual horse names of the time, including Noor and Citation.

It also has "Public Handicappers' Standings", listing Hermis, Sweep, Trackman, and Analyst and their tabulated results from several different circuits.

Even Jockey Ratings for perhaps 200 riders - Shoemaker was top-rated.

Track Records for most of the major tracks:

LOL - the fastest 5 1/2-fur record there was 1:03 1/5 at Tropical Park and the only place to undercut 1:09 for 6 furs was Golden Gate with 1:08 1/5.

All of that along with handicapping book reviews, lots of Horses to Watch, and the standard bragging about large win payoffs.
AskinHaskin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2018, 02:39 PM   #25
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Quote:
Yup!
Some of those columns by Vertex were hard to understand what the heck he was talking about.

Had something to do with him being a lunatic.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:43 PM   #26
AltonKelsey
Veteran

I have a copy of a mag called Horse and Jockey from way back. I forget the year off hand.

Was also a good read.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:51 PM   #27
lefty359

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
Anyone old enough to remember Turf Guide? I got caught reading it in history class. It was on pulp paper and also pimped books by some of their writers. Not nearly in the class of T&SD or even American Turf.
I remember it. I still have a few copies as well as the $5 and $10 small books they published.
lefty359 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 03:56 PM   #28
Gerard02

Totally sucks. I've subscribed to ATM for years. I have tons of copies going back to the 80's. I copied numerous articles and created my "Black Book of Knowledge" I also have copies of the old 'Racing Action' newspaper. Going to miss the ATM issues.
Gerard02 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: