Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 05-10-2018, 12:40 PM   #16
Denny
Veteran

Saratoga is still good for bring your own.

They will check the cooler before you go in, and you can't bring in glass. Other than that your fine.

Bad thing about Saratoga though is they're planning on raising admission again.

At least they said that in the Schenectady paper according to someone I know.

A couple years ago general went from 3 to 5, and now will be 7. Clubhouse went from 5 to 7, and will now go to 10.

Don't know about seat prices.

But, they're making a higher price area in the grandstand at the top of the stretch.

Money, money, money.
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2018, 01:16 PM   #17
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

About 10-12yrs ago I saw guys bringing scaffolding into the infield at Pimlico.
Also saw many kegs in large trash cans being brought in
Old 05-10-2018, 02:22 PM   #18
Blenheim
Race Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
100% correct...somebody threw a bottle in the general direction of Marylou Whitney (owner of winner Birdstone) if I recall...and that ended that...

It didn't make any business sense letting people bring all that alcohol into the park...they must be making a boatload on liquor sales on that day ever since.
I was there that day, flew in from Seattle, if I recall correctly it was the biggest crowd in horse racing history - Smarty Jones was running for the Triple. We got there way early, got a good spot sittin' at some benches near the top of the stretch. Met some NY racegoers who brought their own bottle, they who hit the pick 3 or pick 4 . . . I'll never forget the small swimming pool filled w/ice and beer . . . the fight that broke out behind me and the guys from the second level pouring beer on the guys fightin' . . . .

Never forget singing NY, NY . . . no doubt my most memorable day at the track. Went back I believe it was 2015 to make a bet on Tonalist. I don't know if the track changed or I changed. Interestingly, my second visit in some ways was just as or more memorable than the first. My "spot" was now grandstands and the line for beer incredibly long. I love that place. Look forward to goin' back.

Blenheim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2018, 02:56 PM   #19
AlsoEligible

Here's a small taste of what Preakness used to be with BYOB:

Something had to be done to reign it in. The infield didn't even resemble anything close to a horse racing event. It was just 100,000 college kids getting trashed and causing mayhem.

In my early days working for tote, I got tasked with helping pull terminals out of the infield the day after Preakness, and the place looked like a damn landfill. I saw people leaving behind couches, swimming pools, kegs, clothing, and enough empty beer cans to build a new grandstand. You could barely even see grass, and that's not an exaggeration.

When Pimlico banned BYOB starting in 2009, there was a temporary dip in attendance, but it's come back pretty strong since then. It's still a party in there, and there's still plenty of alcohol to be had; you can buy beer mugs with free unlimited refills for $20 (or it may even be free with certain ticket packages). It's just not quite as crazy as it used to be, which imo is a good thing.
AlsoEligible is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2018, 04:29 PM   #20
slammer895

The frat boys ruined it for everybody.
slammer895 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2018, 08:20 PM   #21
DerbyJackpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoEligible View Post
Here's a small taste of what Preakness used to be with BYOB:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIcyFSYhvV4

Something had to be done to reign it in. The infield didn't even resemble anything close to a horse racing event. It was just 100,000 college kids getting trashed and causing mayhem.

In my early days working for tote, I got tasked with helping pull terminals out of the infield the day after Preakness, and the place looked like a damn landfill. I saw people leaving behind couches, swimming pools, kegs, clothing, and enough empty beer cans to build a new grandstand. You could barely even see grass, and that's not an exaggeration.

When Pimlico banned BYOB starting in 2009, there was a temporary dip in attendance, but it's come back pretty strong since then. It's still a party in there, and there's still plenty of alcohol to be had; you can buy beer mugs with free unlimited refills for $20 (or it may even be free with certain ticket packages). It's just not quite as crazy as it used to be, which imo is a good thing.
Their is noway this is at Pimilico lol? You 100% sure lol? Like wow. I've been to the Oaks 3 straight years and derby this year. It was pretty mellowed out in the infield. But $8 beers will create that.
DerbyJackpot is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2018, 08:38 PM   #22
CincyHorseplayer

I say let people party. They go to party and get hooked on the game. Maybe! I usually wait til 2-3 pm before drinking. When I started to keep records and after a few losing days I noticed that drinking pattern and started marking an A next to the date. Most of those Alcohol days were losers! Let whomever wants to just hang out and party do their thing. Their presence at least provides the illusion of a bustling scene!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2018, 01:14 AM   #23
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer895 View Post
Amazing that it didn't happen sooner, like after the drunk guy ran on the track and tried to punch Artax.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2018, 06:20 AM   #24
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryBoyle View Post
Saratoga is BYOB. I was pretty gone at the point that I needed more but I vaguely recall them selling beer as well.

I went to the Preakness within the last few years and did the infield party. If you're looking to have that kinda time the deal is pretty solid. All you can drink for the price of the ticket.
I remember being in the infield for the Risen Star Preakness back in 1988. It was HOT that day and by the time the race was run most people were drunk and burnt to a crisp. It was still a great time.

Last edited by tucker6; 05-11-2018 at 06:22 AM.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2018, 10:52 AM   #25
Inner Dirt

I would expect very few of the frat and sorority crowd that hit the infields to party at triple crown events will become future horse players. For most I am sure the event taking place does not matter, it is a place to gather in mass, get high or drunk and film themselves acting like fools.

I wish I had a camera phone when I went to the derby in 1999 and was stuck in the infield. Of all the crazy stuff I saw the topper was a couple 20 somethings who were either recent bride and groom or part of a wedding party. She had a puffy white dress and he had a light colored tuxedo, they were passed out flat on their backs in an ankle deep mud puddle made from the melting ice run off from the nearby beer stand.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2018, 11:56 AM   #26
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Saratoga is still good for bring your own.

They will check the cooler before you go in, and you can't bring in glass. Other than that your fine.

Bad thing about Saratoga though is they're planning on raising admission again.

At least they said that in the Schenectady paper according to someone I know.

A couple years ago general went from 3 to 5, and now will be 7. Clubhouse went from 5 to 7, and will now go to 10.

Don't know about seat prices.

But, they're making a higher price area in the grandstand at the top of the stretch.

Money, money, money.

Buy a seasons pass. 40 bucks for grandstand...........65 for clubhouse.

If you go Travers Day and 5 or 6 other days its worth it. Been buying the grandstand one for years. When they didn't publicize it , it was a blue card without a photo. I was #48 on those cards for years......that's how long I've been buying it. If plan on spending a lot of time there........buy it!
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2018, 12:03 PM   #27
Immortal6

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer895 View Post
Or maybe it was the GDI's that couldn't handle their alcohol?
Immortal6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: